Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: Did Earhart carry parachutes on the flight to Howland  (Read 416251 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Re: Did Earhart carry parachutes on the flight to Howland
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »

Relative to "CIRCLING" at 1958 (GCT)
Not seeing Howland at the expected time (1912(GCT) AE turned onto the 157/337 LOP and flew for about 45 minutes. Then, not seeing Howland, radioed in at 1958 (GCT), Circling (Back, word added, hjh) but cannot hear (see?) you.  Flying back on the  LOP for about 45 minutes and still not spotting Howland she radioed in at 2043 (GCT) Running on line 157/337...Wait...

The word Circling in the Log is Capitalized.  Could that have been an accepted practice in 1937 to put alterations to a Log in caps?
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »

In this case the possible DR error will continue to grow as the plane travels along the LOP until it possibly becomes large enough to allow the plane to be flying too far away to see the destination.

This is true and that is why it makes sense that the last fix was much further away than when they transmitted at 16:23GMT. At 16:23GMT they were roughly just over 400+ miles away. Although the DR error of 10% gives the maximum possible error, it seems unlikely that they would have not been able to judge their heading and more importantly speed over such a short distance. FN would have done a quick calculation to compare his assumption of the head wind and would have reconciled any difference. Even if their heading end up being the worst case scenario, North or South, they should have found Howland when traveling on a North and South heading of 157/337. If your theory about 16:23GMT is correct, that they had a fix, the odds of missing the islands are slim to none. By my estimate they would have had to misjudge their speed by plus or minus 9% in just 3 hours.

Update - I stated 18% when it is really + / - 9%.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:52:29 PM by Heath Smith »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »

i apologies in advance if it is obvious to every one else

but it don't make sense

how can u travel on a north an south heading of 157/337

IF north is 337

and south is 157

u can only go in one direction

surly u would state if heading north 337/157

and if heading south 157/337

even if it just highlights ur direction  ???

think i'll stick to rov vid for now  ;D
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »

Attention All Hands,   Thread Drift      LOL
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »

Richie
AE wasn't the brightest bulb in the Christmas tree string when it came to understandable radio technique, or piloting or navigating for that matter..

The N ES S meant she was flying one way. N (actually NNW) on a course of 337 degrees, and then the other way, S (actually SSE) on a course of 157 degrees, or vice versa.  I think  LOL
Geez, that must mean that she "Circled back" at some time or other.  Perhaps at 1958(GCT) hours as was entered in the radio Log?
No Worries Mates

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

honestly harry after my embarrassing moment yesterday wid fuel spot comment in rov post, i wonder if the Americans have a totally diff DI-elect

as everything seems back to front unless ur a pilot/flier thing   

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »

Richie
I wish I could remember the famous quote by Winston Churchill, but it went something to the effect that we Americans and our British cousins share common things in our cultures and almost speak the same language.  LOL

Being of Irish descent (or is it dissent?) I understand your dialect with few problems.  Not to Worry.
No Worries Mates

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »

thats what i thought

i play MOHAA for a clan based in america called CF an i have difficulty understanding them cos of sayings they use an vice versa

:)

Member# 416

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2012, 06:28:11 PM »

Richie
I wish I could remember the famous quote by Winston Churchill, but it went something to the effect that we Americans and our British cousins share common things in our cultures and almost speak the same language.  LOL

Being of Irish descent (or is it dissent?) I understand your dialect with few problems.  Not to Worry.
Shaw said: ‘England and America are two countries separated by the same language’,

gl

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »

but separated thru diffrent pronunciation of words  :)

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »

Gary, Richie
Thanks Guys.  I knew it was one of those British guys.
Hey, wait a minute, wasn't Shaw Irish?  or just Irish educated?   LMAO
No Worries Mates

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2012, 07:08:26 PM »

also in luke airfield inventory it was noted they had parachute flares,

so is it fair too say nothink in luke airfield inventory could be taken as decisive info as to what they took in second attempt ?

also does anyone else find it unsettleing the amount of diffrent people that had access to electra  in diffrent countrys

i.e oil change filling with fuel etc wen the electra was maybe ahead of there time

i mean no disrespect by last comment but surely there shud have been a consistent mechanic at all stops experienced in the electra an not random people ?

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »

in random countrys as electra was ahead of most peoples time technology wise ?

Member# 416

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »

Oscar Wilde famously declared that Britain and America were two nations divided by a common language.
Winston Churchill is referenced as saying we are "...two countries separated by a common language".  He may have been inspired by the Wilde saying.  Neither attribution appears in print until years later, so it might have first been said by Oscar's or Winny's grandmother, for all we know.  We may never know unless the answer is found printed on a silk parachute discovered on Niku (to bring the thread back toward the subject heading), or possibly at the bottom of the Pacific.
Cheers,
JohnO

Erik

• T3
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »

Could the parachute explain the white arrowhead feature that was never resolved?

We think we located the area in 2007 and searched it with metal deterctors.  Nothing there.

Nothing there in 2007.  But how about 1938.  Is there anything to exclude the white arrowhead as possibly two parachutes 'stitched' together to form what was seen in the photo?

Metal detectors - for cloth parachute?  If it was dismantled or taken away by natural forces, I doubt any detector would find something that is simply not there.

If it was a parachute and it eventually found its way downwind, I suppose the area to search would be further towards the lagoon, and not at the exact location seen in the photo anyway?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:01:18 PM by Erik »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org