Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did Earhart carry parachutes on the flight to Howland  (Read 416272 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: Did Earhart carry parachutes on the flight to Howland
« Reply #450 on: March 28, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »

was he the early days hi jacker who bailed out over the wilderness with $$$$ never to be seen again?

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #451 on: March 28, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »

To all Interested
More on Gunga Din.
Use your Browser to get a link to a good reading of the entire poem,  I was able to get it on youtube by clicking on the Browser result  "Gunga Din" by Rudyard Kipling (poetry)_youTube.

I tried linking the URL for it but was unsuccessful.  It kept telling me that I had a bad character in the URL, of course no hint about which character, don't ya just love these software writers?  GRRR
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #452 on: March 28, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »

Chris
Yes, I forget the year.
Hi-Jacked a 727 and made it land and bring on 4 parachutes and $200,000.00  (I think).  Released the passengers and made the crew take-off and fly somewhere over Wahington State where he jumped out of the back door of the 727 in terrible weather.  Cottage industry trying to solve the nystery.
No Worries Mates

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:21:03 PM by Harry Howe, Jr. »

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #453 on: March 28, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »

Thread Drift (HighJack?) Alert   AAHOOGAH< AAHOOGAH    LOL
No Worries Mates

Erik

• T3
« Reply #454 on: March 28, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »

....I remember when the bvack door on the 727 was actually used.

uh..... huh.......   I'll bet you do!  ;)  :sarcastically snickering:

So where's the money Harry?   Start talking....

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #455 on: March 28, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »

Thread Drift (HighJack?) Alert   AAHOOGAH< AAHOOGAH    LOL

I've created a D. B. Cooper thread in the Chatterbox, for what it's worth.

I quoted the line, "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din," in a private e-mail just this week.  It certainly is a memorable poem.  I doubt that we need a separate thread on that.   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #456 on: March 28, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »

Marty
Great minds running on the same track.

I saw something in wikipedia that said that the'"Din" should be pronounced as "deen" to rhyme with Queen and other words that preceed Din..

Great poem, as is the other Kipling "Tommy this, Tommy That..."
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #457 on: March 28, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »

D B Cooper, November 24, 1971,  Portland, Oregon takeoff; Seatle, Washington for the chutes and money.

No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #458 on: March 28, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »

D B Cooper, November 24, 1971,  Portland, Oregon takeoff; Seatle, Washington for the chutes and money.

For a number of years they had a B-727 at the World Freefall Convention every year in Quincy Illinois, just buy your lift ticket and climb aboard. I don't know if they still do.

gl

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #459 on: March 29, 2012, 11:02:17 AM »

Marty
I am putting here a link to a youtube reading of Gunga Din by a man with a very good British voice and accent.  You, and others, might enjoy it,

I'll leave it up to you to decide where to put (move) it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ4hU_vXfjs

No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2012, 02:34:46 AM »

John O
In my "Waxed Paper" item, I wasn't suggesting that AE/FN had some on their plane, just that the hole in the ground technique was known at lleast in the '40s and plastic wasn't needed for the technique.
As I recall my ScoutMaster's demo, he had a roll of the waxed paper

A lot of work, but it worked.  What I learned hen, but prolly didn't realize it cuz I was only about 12 years old,  was to use what is available and use your brain and you have a good chance of surviving.
ood "legs"As I said, Nothing new under the Sun.
This week's TV show "Mythbusters" was entirely devoted to surviving on a desert island with little more than duct tape. They used the clear plastic wrapping from a pallet load of duct tape to make a solar still. They dug a hole in the beach until they hit salt water, placed a cup in the bottom of the hole, stretched the clear plastic over the hole weighted down in the center over the cup with a rock, just like in the Boy Scout manual. The whole thing was about five feet in diameter. They managed to collect only a quarter of a cup in a day of sunshine!

The show ended with them escaping the island in a boat made out of, you guessed it, duct tape.

gl

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #461 on: March 30, 2012, 06:30:48 AM »

Bit of a nit pick but they used more than duct tape!!!

Also clear plastic and a cup!!!

I'd have used the pallett to light a signal fire

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #462 on: March 30, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »

Geez, I missed that.
When I was a lad and in Scouts. my Scoutmaster made a still out of Waxed Paper and Cellophane Tape (now called "Scotch Tape") and collected a cup of water while we were out on a day hike.  We didn't have plastic (clear or otherwise) at that time.

I'd hate  to have to live on that 8 oz. of water a day, but better than nothing.
No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #463 on: April 20, 2012, 04:29:30 AM »

Except no plastic or wax paper was involved, it was not a solar still. Rogers and his crew improvised by burning wood torn from the airplane to boil seawater and condense fresh water. The crew was not in a life raft but in their seaplane that they landed at sea after they ran out of gas. The plane remained afloat for ten days while they made a sail from fabric torn off the plane and the crew sailed it 400 miles to Kauai. They used the water they had on board and they collected some rain water. On the seventh day they distilled seawater by burning wood for five hours and collected half a canteen full off fresh water.

gl
I found these links to a more complete story about Roger's flight an to a photo of his seaplane.

gl
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org