Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1282581 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #795 on: February 08, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »

Boy, I am glad we got all that cleared up.  Needed to be said and it was said well by all.
Emphasizes how people see things differently, or better yet, as we all have heard before "Different Strokes for Different Folks"

For those of you that have plenty of reading time, I  offer, as an example of seeing things differentl,y,  a book that describes a Native American Indian way of viewing things.  The book is  "Seven Arrows" by Hyemyehost Storm (sp?).
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #796 on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:44 PM »

Yes, we don't have to do this. We do it because every little helps. We don't do it for any rewards, all this is done voluntarily and with our best intentions. It might save some time/money/effort of the guys at the pointy end of the stick at TIGHAR so that they can get on with the organising. It's a mystery that needs closure, there's a plane down there, don't know what type yet but, it's a plane.
I'm happy to keep plugging away at less than 3 mins' of video footage for free, no problem. When you look back we have gone from a nice underwater scene of some wire and rope that no one took any notice of to, hold on there! That shouldn't be there, what's that?
So, to recap and not jump to any conclusions, it's a plane of unknown manufacture and type and it's been there a long time, that's all we have for now.
Jeff
This must be the place

Lisa Anne Hill

• T1
« Reply #797 on: February 08, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »

Well said, everybody!  :D
It would be great eventually to be able to see the whole area of video in one piece, it's hard to tell where one piece is in context to the rest of them. But as it stands now, I am enjoying the heck out of this thread!
Lisa

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #798 on: February 08, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »

sorry didn't mean to come across like that so my apologies in advance,

trust me i could find better things to do with my time, than being a nerd sat at my laptop making shapes out of reef rocks

all night, but am willing to do it because it could be very helpful, to Tighar

an i would like to suggest to any members who likes finding things in photo's, of gardner or the reef floor or of amelia

then get a magnifying glass so u dont have to zoom in on image an lose resolution an sharpness

make sure to look at pics of reef were we think electra was

there is no electra but there is an intresting object about 100 yards from water  :)   
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #799 on: February 08, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »

jeff u may wanna av a look at these objects i have pointed out with red arrows

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #800 on: February 08, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »

Hey Lisa---see any Navy submirsibles at Pearl we can borrow? Oh --while youre at it, maybe a ship with a crane? I know the Navy has this stuff just sitting there---its a shame to just let it rust---we need to take it for a spin and let it breathe!!
Lucky Lady to live on Oahu---
Mahalo Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #801 on: February 08, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »

Jeff And Richie---continue--
I circled a target in the blue box--coral doesnt make right angles---see what you can make of this
Tom

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #802 on: February 08, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »

jeff or anyone get a magnifying glass an look at area were arrow points

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #803 on: February 08, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »

cant make it out--but I blue arrowed something to the right of it--dark may be above the surface.
There is also something light colored on the shoreline to the left of Richies red arrow.
Tom

Lisa Anne Hill

• T1
« Reply #804 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »

LOL Tom I will keep my eyes open for one - I can see the shipyard across the harbor from my office 8)! Even though I've been here just over a year, I miss northern California like crazy, especially since it's ski season...

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #805 on: February 08, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »

jeff or anyone get a magnifying glass an look at area were arrow points

The white dot is a flaw in the film.  Just to the right of the white dot is a black dot that is probably a real thing.  It might be chunk of coral tossed up on to the reef flat in a storm - or it could be wreckage.  In any case, it's quite large - a meter or more in diameter - and it appears to be submerged so it's not very tall (less than a meter). 

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #806 on: February 08, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »

The dark dot is what I was looking at. Is this the 1938 pic? i noticed the ship off the stern of the Norwich City. Ric--youve been there, probably near that spot--how deep would you say the water would be at high tide? I remember you saying that there was a flat part, and relly rough parts with crevasses. I would guess that this is near one of the crevasses and the nessie site (?)
I guess my next dumb question would be, could it be seen from the air? I would assume so, since its in a pic from a plane. So, why do you think the Colorado flight didnt see it? Maybe they werent looking.
Tom

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #807 on: February 09, 2012, 04:46:41 AM »

The dark dot is what I was looking at. Is this the 1938 pic?

Yes. Dec. 1, 1938

i noticed the ship off the stern of the Norwich City.

That's Yanawai, the ship used by the New Zealand Survey.  They had just arrived.

Ric--youve been there, probably near that spot--how deep would you say the water would be at high tide?

Less than a meter.

I remember you saying that there was a flat part, and relly rough parts with crevasses. I would guess that this is near one of the crevasses and the nessie site (?)

This is inshore of the object in the Bevington photo (aka Nessie) roughly half way between the spur and groove area at the reef edge (where the object appears in the Oct, 1937 photo) and the shore.  The area where the black dot is in the 1938 photo is quite rough.  It could be a piece of wreckage that has been washed part way across the reef flat.

I guess my next dumb question would be, could it be seen from the air? I would assume so, since its in a pic from a plane. So, why do you think the Colorado flight didnt see it? Maybe they werent looking.

Or maybe it hadn't washed up yet.  Or maybe it's just a junk of coral.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #808 on: February 09, 2012, 05:18:25 AM »

Ok Ric---I figured I'd ask the question of someone who had been there.
Thanks--
Tom

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #809 on: February 09, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »

Ok, that proves that Ric is following this thread, at least on occasion. Remind me not to play poker with him.   LTM
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org