Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1303537 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #765 on: February 07, 2012, 11:46:11 AM »

i dont know about that tom

but i could do with a haynes manual for a electra L10-e  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #766 on: February 07, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »

Wow. Can I just say, you guys have done fascinating things with this video! Keep up the great work!

thanks Lisa

hopefully we will be able to provide enough evidence, to senior Tighar members to revisit ground already covered

due to cost's, i think we are working on a 1% Yes and 99% No

i think its worth it though  :)

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #767 on: February 07, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »

I think the Harney Drawings may be the best guide for you. We probably wont find a 'manual' on a 10E, much less her highly modified version. But , the Harney Drawings should be accurate.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #768 on: February 07, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »

aren't they in this post some were, will have a look but it's the inner workings am after, like floor joists moving parts in an under cockpit  :)

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #769 on: February 07, 2012, 12:35:54 PM »

in these still's have i got prop right way round ?

1) - back of prop

2) - front of prop

3) - poss balance weight

4) - emblem
Richie, it's the port side landing gear pushed through the wing from the bottom through the top skin of the wing. The rear of the engine nacelle can be seen at the top of the pic. We are looking at it from the trailing edge of the wing.
Blue arrow the top of the Oleo strut
Yellow arrow gear retract assembly? or various other options here. See Tighar The Nessie Hypothesis for stacks of pics
This must be the place

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:40:50 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #770 on: February 07, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »

Richie---like this

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #771 on: February 07, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »

Even better, Black arrow gear retraction assy, yellow arrow frame around Oleo strut ? See post 566 for more info (Good work with this image Richie)
This must be the place

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:53:31 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #772 on: February 07, 2012, 01:03:18 PM »

thx tom it will help gratefully,

jeff it looks more like propeller than strut to me, good job ur ere  :D

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #773 on: February 07, 2012, 03:23:37 PM »

sorry jeff, just like the wire an rope video only shows the obvious, it's when u dig deeper that u can tell rock shaped objects

to man made objects, like the circular wire, like the rope

were just showing items that don't knit in with rock formations or reef beds, if this is going to do anything it's going to highlight the Electra or bits of it, as i cant see it bypassing the area the rove covered before tumbling down reef,  without shedding some parts

so if anything it will confirm the Electra weren't on part of reef were was assumed     

it's called trial an error i suppose

but thank's for ur comments  :)

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #774 on: February 07, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »

Maybe the psychic lady from Australia was right---and its more to the southeast. Damn---need to go there--
Tom

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #775 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »

i agree it's hard to estimate, but to get an idea u only have to look at other rov footage like of other wrecks titanic etc, from year's gone by, the light on the rov only reaches a certain distance so the lens will only cover what lights do, an when the rov pulls away from rope, at furthest distance from the rope, it looks like shoe lace compared to close up when it looks like elephants trunk

:)

Member# 416

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #776 on: February 07, 2012, 05:29:53 PM »

I stare at - usually - itty bitty bits of black text all day long, but I think we might be straying a tad into not knowing what we don't know territory, guys. A wise man knows when it's time to take a step back, crack a cold one, and return later in the game for a fresh perspective.

But this is coming from someone who's been kicked in the head a lot   ;D

LTM, who trys to dot all the wee little frickin' i's,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #777 on: February 07, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »

this post is all what u say i admit  :)

however untill u study the video's over an over, it's then that u start to identify reef an none reef items an things stand out,

for instance u could see a sonar scan of sea floor an not notice anythink but then when sum one points out sumthink, it stares u in the face

believe me i have disregarded so many things in wire/rope video, that i am starting to wonder about  :)

Member# 416

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #778 on: February 07, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »

Ok---for all of you 'fishing leader' guys-----how far from the village was the ROV when these were taken, AND 800 feet down? HUM--I'll bet 1/2 to 3/4 miles out then 800 down. Fishing leader? I dont think so, but you guys are smarter than me!
Tom

Richie, a fishing leader is a metal wire section that fastens to nylon fishing line that "may" be the see through variety. The leader is designed with swivels at both ends so a lure or baited Hook doesn't just twist round and round. The wire section varies from inches to feet in length. Fishing for larger fish such as sailfish is done with all metal (wire) line. Commercial fishermen like the tuna boat that loaned TIGHAR it's helicopter use heavy wire lines with thinner wires attached with hooks. These are the "long lines" that are referred to in this thread.   The see thru nylon stuff is for relatively light sport fishing.   Gary is referring to real wire fishing line.
No, the tuna boat that supplied the helicopter is a purse seiner, you can tell by the net skiff pulled up onto the net pile in the stern. It uses a purse net, not long lines. To set the net you lower the net skiff that then pulls the net off the stern and makes a big circle around the school of tuna that had been spotted by the "fish captain" flying in the helicopter (that's why they carry helicopters) and then brought back to the stern of the ship. Then the purse is then pulled closed and the net (full of fish) is brought on deck with the power block mounted on the end of the boom. That ship (in the video) was built by the Campbell shipyard in San Diego, you can tell by the configuration. I can tell you it is a long climb to the top of the mast where the fish captain watches for schools of fish when not in the helicopter. I have been aboard Campbell seiners in Guam and in Singapore.

gl
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:14:04 PM by Gary LaPook »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #779 on: February 07, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »

i agree take a step back

maybe the break will do ye good

:)

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org