Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1303247 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #540 on: January 29, 2012, 06:23:30 PM »

Just wondered if the part with the red arrow pointing to it once was part of the object with the blue arrow pointing to it?

This must be the place

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #541 on: January 29, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »

Jeff,  A quick Google search shows that Pratt and Whitney used an eagle inside a circle for a number of years as a logo. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Pw-eagle-logo-graphic.jpg. I haven't tracked down years as yet as there are some variations. Can you post a still of the possible logo that you've found as enhanced as you can and I will see if I can fin anything.  LTM

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #542 on: January 29, 2012, 08:39:19 PM »

Jeff,  from a few minutes of web browsing it looks like the logos were on either side of the engine cowlings. No links to post just yet. I will try to get some if you think the logo may be what you are seeing.  LTM- John

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #543 on: January 29, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »

With respect to the Rope.
Might AE/FN,in the first days after landing, have scrounged a long length of rope off the NC and used it to tether the Electra to a Buka tree in order to keep the plane from going over the edge?
Then due to the plane moving in the wind, surf, tide the rope broke and the plane went over the reef edge and down the slope, gouging a trench and shedding bits and pieces until it came to the shelf that it is now resting on.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #544 on: January 29, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »

Might AE/FN,in the first days after landing, have scrounged a long length of rope off the NC and used it to tether the Electra to a Buka tree in order to keep the plane from going over the edge?
Then due to the plane moving in the wind, surf, tide the rope broke and the plane went over the reef edge and down the slope, gouging a trench and shedding bits and pieces until it came to the shelf that it is now resting on.

Might coulda done just that, Harry - not out of the question at all as I see it.

Problem we may have is the line could also be a common item dropped from a boat at any time, too.

About that 'line' - I'm beginning to think that swage bead (the black ball) is a 'sinker' - watch out if a 'hook' suddenly turns up in all this...

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #545 on: January 30, 2012, 04:28:16 AM »

Jeff,  from a few minutes of web browsing it looks like the logos were on either side of the engine cowlings. No links to post just yet. I will try to get some if you think the logo may be what you are seeing.  LTM- John

Hard to say what it is John but, it's a circle for sure and, something within it. There was another one earlier in the footage that I will track down for you.
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #546 on: January 30, 2012, 04:46:11 AM »

Anyone expecting to see one of these in this condition

Have a look at the SS norwich City
Tonnage:
Displacement:
8730 tons

Anyone recognise a ship?
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #547 on: January 30, 2012, 04:54:53 AM »

Might coulda done just that, Harry - not out of the question at all as I see it.

Problem we may have is the line could also be a common item dropped from a boat at any time, too.

About that 'line' - I'm beginning to think that swage bead (the black ball) is a 'sinker' - watch out if a 'hook' suddenly turns up in all this...

LTM -
Could well turn up. Lot of fishing goes on in the Pacific. Trawling wouldn't be of much use near reefs but, longlining would be a likely suspect. It's popular with Tuna fleets
This must be the place

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #548 on: January 30, 2012, 05:09:48 AM »

Jeff N., I'm not saying that any logo will be visible or identifiable on any part after all these years. But IF there is a logo that MIGHT be identifiable what is the harm in looking into it? I will admit, I don't see hardly any of what all the stills might possibly be or what the arrows are pointing out. I have no expertise in computer photography, how to adjust this and that to look for this and that. Give me enough gas in my tanks, my mask and fins, and a depth I can get back from and I can recognize stuff on the bottom. For me, I need real time context and 3D. I have seen stuff that has been down a while with marine life clinging to and growing on it. Different stuff likes to cling to different surfaces. It is possible that a logo can be "seen" by what is clinging to the various surfaces on and around it. It might be anything, or it might be something. LTM- John

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #549 on: January 30, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »

And TIGHAR have evidence of recent visit by a Tuna Trawler from when they were able to take the Island fly by video.
Yes I watched the fly by video again a few days back Chris. Superb views of the surf line and reef, amazing. Of course you have to realise that was taken from a helicopter at 100 feet, perfect viewing platform. Now imagine flying at 400 feet with a huge engine and prop obscuring your view, any observing will be by looking out sideways. Different ball game altogether. Not sure if Lt Lambrecht and his fellow searchers were aware that the reef is not always covered in water and surf and, that at low tides made a reasonable landing strip. If they were aware they might have spent some more time looking along the surf/reef line, sideways of course  :)
Jeff
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #550 on: January 30, 2012, 11:08:28 AM »

Lets face it, the search that was conducted, and the one that should have been (hindsight) will always be a big part of this story. What IF the Electra was partically submerged on the reef, and Lambrecht saw it. Then, what IF he could have landed somewhere without ripping the bottom out of his plane. Still, a big part of this story; all the what ifs.
We try not to speculate (Ric would scold me for speculating!), we theorize then go prove it. Alot of members are doing that in different ways.
TIGHAR is on the right track-----you gotta believe!
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #551 on: January 30, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »

anyone know what this object is appears to be a big bottle with a bar in centre
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #552 on: January 30, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »

I'm amazed at what you guys are "seeing" in these stills. Try as I might, I can't see any of this stuff! You've got everything in there but a '57 Chevy! I did catch that fuzzy fork thing way back on one of the first posts, but nothing since.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #553 on: January 30, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »

under the second arrow it looks like the image of a airplane  :)

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #554 on: January 30, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »

yer 1 ov them planes that have 4 wings 2 on top an 2 bottom

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org