Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1282905 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 05:21:43 AM »

That piece is tough for me to make out. But, like Jeff said, there does seem to be some unnatural things there.
Does anymore of this video-or others exsist?
Tom

The original video is of higher quality than the youtube version and is therefore of more use. I suspect there is more in the original footage but probably not of the reef shelf that collects all the junk. The ROV seems to concentrate on the 'wire and rope' despite the Tighar hypothesis of stuff falling down the reef slope and getting caught on ledges. Still, the currents around reefs are pretty strong and unpredictable so, I don't blame them for playing it safe.

Jeff
This must be the place

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 06:46:53 AM »

A note of caution.  "... Using that as the basis for measurements of size of first anomoly and therefore distances on the reef shelf." ...assumes the shape is a particular size.  Be very cautious when making that sort of assumption.  We can't tell from the video what size anything is.  The "landing gear" feature may be a foot tall, or 5 feet tall.  The circular wire might be a 6-inch circlip (Richie suggested a retaining ring), or a tire bead (14 inch diameter?), or a barrel hoop (20 inch diameter), or a biological growth (how big is that?).  Keep the unknowns in mind when studying the video, .
The obvious danger of assuming a particular size to any feature is in applying that assumption to other features, then use those features as proof of the size of the original feature.  Until TIGHAR gets another ROV down there to examine the feature (assuming it can be found again), we won't know how big it is.
From the few stills I've seen, the cable and rope are the only features with anything like a known size, and even then it's hard to tell.  What are their diameters?  We can make assumptions, then apply thosee assumptions to other features that are in the field of view, but when the camera moves to some other part of the reef, the previous dimensions become assumptions again.
I love to read about people noticing things in the videos - getting lots of eyes to review what we already have can lead to important discoveries.  Just remember the assumptions that support those discoveries.  If and when any of those assumptions gets changed, then the whole argument based on the assumption will need to be revisited.
Cheers,
JohnO

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 06:55:58 AM »

A note of caution.  "... Using that as the basis for measurements of size of first anomoly and therefore distances on the reef shelf." ...assumes the shape is a particular size.  Be very cautious when making that sort of assumption.  We can't tell from the video what size anything is.  The "landing gear" feature may be a foot tall, or 5 feet tall.  The circular wire might be a 6-inch circlip (Richie suggested a retaining ring), or a tire bead (14 inch diameter?), or a barrel hoop (20 inch diameter), or a biological growth (how big is that?).  Keep the unknowns in mind when studying the video, .
The obvious danger of assuming a particular size to any feature is in applying that assumption to other features, then use those features as proof of the size of the original feature.  Until TIGHAR gets another ROV down there to examine the feature (assuming it can be found again), we won't know how big it is.
From the few stills I've seen, the cable and rope are the only features with anything like a known size, and even then it's hard to tell.  What are their diameters?  We can make assumptions, then apply thosee assumptions to other features that are in the field of view, but when the camera moves to some other part of the reef, the previous dimensions become assumptions again.
I love to read about people noticing things in the videos - getting lots of eyes to review what we already have can lead to important discoveries.  Just remember the assumptions that support those discoveries.  If and when any of those assumptions gets changed, then the whole argument based on the assumption will need to be revisited.
Agreed John, the only reason I made that assumption is to give me a scale to compare distances and possible sizes of anomalies. It isn't definately the 'correct' scale  but, it keeps all objects and distances in the same scale, be it the right one or the wrong one. So yes, good point John.

Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2012, 07:14:12 AM »

This anomaly is the one that just shouldn't be there. It doesn't jump of the screen like the two pronged thingy but...It appears to be part of the coral reef at first glance.
1. It's an awful lot thinner than the rest of the coral, too thin?
2. It's curved
3. The edge nearest the the red line, two pronged thingy is serrated/torn
4. The edges at the opposite end are torn apart
5. There seem to be lines running along it from front edge to back edge
6. There are dots along these lines
7. It's a different colour/hue to the rest of the coral
8. It's got that annoying black squiggly stuff lying in it confirming the concave appearance of the object (what is that stuff?)
9. It casts a shadow onto the surrounding coral from the ROV lights

This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:32:42 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2012, 07:59:45 AM »

That black suiggly stuff is annoying me! In the paras we all used to carry a roll of black insulating tape to wrap around stuff that rattled a lot, mainly on night patrols. Is there any evidence of a roll of black insulating tape being aboard the Electra? Any photographs that may show a roll of black insulating tape inside the Electra, Richie? You have posted loads of photos recently, any sign of a roll of black insulating tape in them?
Its composition gives it a good chance of survival underwater. Apparently there's a huge raft of plastic junk floating around in the pacific.

Jeff
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »

IF anyone is near a museum with an Electra, and can take pics of the gear and the gear bay/engine nacelle area with the plumbing, I think that would be fantastic.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2012, 09:16:47 AM »

Here's a better picture showing the curved/concave thing
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »

I can't get anymore from the 0.5 seconds of video footage so that's it from me on the posting stills from it. Will keep searching though :)
Trying to find evidence of black insulating tape on board the Electra (that damn black squiggly stuff is everywhere) so will be scouring all the photos of AE and FN in or outside the Electra for evidence. Seems like something that might be useful to have aboard on a round the world flight ;)

Jeff
This must be the place

Chris Austin

• T2
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »

Electrical insulating tape from that period would have been cloth based, not plastic and is likely to have rotted away long, long ago.

My eyeballs have pretty well expired trying to make out shapes in the coral. ;D

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2012, 10:16:02 AM »

Electrical insulating tape from that period would have been cloth based, not plastic and is likely to have rotted away long, long ago.

My eyeballs have pretty well expired trying to make out shapes in the coral. ;D

Yes I seem to remember my dad had some as you describe, black like tar and sticky as hell it was.
Jeff
This must be the place

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2012, 10:28:24 AM »

And it wasn't called "Insulating Tape", it was called "Friction Tape".  Once ya put it on something, especially if it overlapped, it wasn't coming off.  What makes ya think that it would degrade in water?
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »

IF anyone is near a museum with an Electra, and can take pics of the gear and the gear bay/engine nacelle area with the plumbing, I think that would be fantastic.
Tom

Does this help?  Its under license to Life magazine so you can see the larger image here:  http://www.life.com/hdgallery/35112/image/56963938/life-and-mystery-of-amelia-earhart#index/22
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:18:37 PM by Irvine John Donald »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »

Irv---actually it does because is shows some of the airframe structure-although some of that in the picture may be for support purposes until the wing and spar is in place.
Pics of the under construction, or those taken during the repair work from the Luke Field incident would be fantastic.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Erik

• T3
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »

Here's some great pictures from one of Richie's other threads.

Click Here

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »

wow i have just logged in to re copy an paste that pic as am on flickr now  :o
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org