Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1308876 times)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #1380 on: July 13, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »

Glad to help whenever I can JB.

Thanks for sharing the interesting anecdote. Many times you get more than you bargained for--some good, some bad. Always strive to remember more of the good and less of the bad. ;)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #1381 on: July 13, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »

Woody, I'm still reviewing the reference material in the "removing the trailing wire" article and really getting a lot out of it - thanks for sharing.  IF the objects on the reef are in fact NR16020, won't it be superb l if enough of the radio equipment exists to analyse the archetecture and address the uncertainties - circuitry for C-W oscillator, use of belly wire array, etc.  Fingers crossed!!

One question that you may be able to give me a vector on (relates to what I THINK I see some of the ROV video) - is there a definitive answer on whether a C-W key is needed to complete the radio circuit, or if Gurr rigged a jumper in Miami?  Bottom line, I'm wondering if there was a morse key in the cockpit.  Thanks for any help, John
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1382 on: July 13, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »

Woody, I'm still reviewing the reference material in the "removing the trailing wire" article and really getting a lot out of it - thanks for sharing.  IF the objects on the reef are in fact NR16020, won't it be superb l if enough of the radio equipment exists to analyse the archetecture and address the uncertainties - circuitry for C-W oscillator, use of belly wire array, etc.  Fingers crossed!!

One question that you may be able to give me a vector on (relates to what I THINK I see some of the ROV video) - is there a definitive answer on whether a C-W key is needed to complete

the radio circuit, or if Gurr rigged a jumper in Miami?  Bottom line, I'm wondering if there was

a morse key in the cockpit.  Thanks for any help, John

The Electra was originally equipped with 2 John and, both were suspected as having been left behind. AE not proficient in morse.
http://tighar.org/wiki/Failure_to_communicate#Morse_Code_keys

This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #1383 on: July 13, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »

John, Jeff's reference answers most of the questions about the key I think. Harry Manning, a sea captain of some experience and able to communicate using Morse code, was part of the crew on the first attempt. He was not part of the crew on the second attempt and since neither AE nor FN were able to use code, the keys were apparently removed. AE was almost obsessed with weight reduction for the second attempt.

Here is a photo of one of the keys installed next to the co-pilots seat. It does not show up in later photos.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #1384 on: July 13, 2012, 11:04:26 PM »

JVH and Woody, these helped me understand quite a bit - thank you!  Take-aways - 1) from W.C. Tinus' statement quoted in Osborne ". . .a telegraph key was provided which could be plugged in, in addition to a microphone for voice communication" and the early flight deck photo, it appears the junction box has two inputs (one for C/W key, the other for voice mic) and one output to headphones.  2) from the photo it appears that the small console would still be present if the key were removed.  That could be what I THINK I'm looking at in the video rather than the key itself.  Thanks for your time!  -jb
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1385 on: July 15, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »

Probably just another coincidence but, the wire/cable highlighted with the red arrows appears to be heading into the back of the PFM box/reciever?
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1386 on: July 18, 2012, 10:24:55 AM »

Having read about the conditions on the reef from the daily reports and, the problems they have caused. I am not surprised that whatever it is on the reef face is, how shall we say, not in pristine condition.
My original hope was that they would find something tangible to report. This has now changed to hoping that they, and the equipment actually come away un-scathed and, in one piece.

This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1387 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »

Tell in ye Jeff

Who would have thought a simple Rov dive would turn out to be similar to Deadliest Catch  :o
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #1388 on: July 18, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »

Hey Richie, I dont think any of us thought the ROV dive was going to be simple. Sure wish it was. But from the original video we saw, it had some drop offs, and crevasses too. Still looks like the Napali Coastline to me. I would think that the sunberged landscape might keep the AUV, and the ROV from getting close enough for some really good HD pics and video. I wonder if they have some sort of proximity alarm when they get really clode to a coral outcropping? Guess I should have asked that question in DC.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1389 on: July 18, 2012, 02:57:10 PM »

Tom

The Ship Sonar, AUV, ROV

Should work in tandem

The Ship Sonar should map the area, reef slope, floor, out crops etc

then that data loaded onto AUV so it knows were everything is sort of like a car sat nav

however we know even sat nav's have there issue's  :-\

Let's just hope they find video, photograph and have a safe journey home

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1390 on: July 18, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »

just found this video on youtube

that might help us understand the scale of objects in wire/rope video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuvt2AviexQ&feature=g-hist

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #1391 on: July 18, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »

Yep, I got that Richie. Obviously there is something more to this than we can see.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #1392 on: July 18, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »

Apologies in advance as I am sure this was covered, but have not been able to join the forum in a while.  Reading the "Dailys" however, have they attempted to look at any of the targets from the original "wire and rope" footage.  Seems that wheel, several other strong and more shallow targets, would have been 1st order of business.  Again, sure it was addressed in this forum....but would appreciate being updated.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1393 on: July 18, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »

Don't think that was in the plan Dan, if I recall they didn't have the exact co-ordinates for the wire and rope dive so, would be difficult to locate. If the AUV has trouble finding huge chunks of NC wreck then...
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1394 on: July 19, 2012, 03:30:18 AM »

Looking on the positive side though. Not knowing the co-ordinates isn't the end of the world. From the 2010 expedition we know one important co-ordinate, the depth at which the 'wire and rope' was, 300 metres. That narrows down the search area considerably.
This must be the place

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org