Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283194 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #1275 on: June 29, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »

Jeff

here is diagram of were wing fuel tank pipe covers were

i have read recently that the fuselage petrol tank lid's were adapted to enable in flight refueling, I.E the reason for the metal rods to open covers, that are seen in some pic's behind amelia in cockpit, however the idea was scraped due to dangers of it here is a link that might be of help   

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/61_FuelSystem/61_FuelSystem.htm
https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,504.0.html
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:44:54 PM by richie conroy »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #1276 on: June 29, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »

Jeff, here is a picture of one of the Electra's fuel caps.

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,263
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #1277 on: June 30, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »

leon---That said---KOK sails Monday with enough underwater assets to find our electra parts if they are there! Yeah, Ric was pretty non-commital in DC about the wreckage and pics that Richie and Jeff were posting. BUT----apparently enough to 'maybe' think we are right. He has to maintain his composure, but I assure you that when some of the parts are found he will be grinning like the proud director he is!
I feel a major breakthrough coming.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1278 on: June 30, 2012, 08:51:11 AM »

Welcome to the forum John.
This black mark is most likely a split/tear/rip in the thin aluminium alloy, notice the very thin edges and the 'corrugated appearance'.
Scale is a big problem as there is not much down there that gives us a clue, half of a clam shell (there's a debate in another thread about clams but, let's keep it out of this thread  ;))
The range of the lighting on the ROV would help if we had accurate information plus, the range of the ROV prop wash. In parts of the footage you can see the prop wash shifting the silt/residue away from the wreckage, if we knew the range of that prop wash it would be a simple calculation then.

Tom and leon. Ric is right in being cautious regarding the ROV footage. It doesn't prove anything! But, at least this expedition will have something to show when it is over. Whatever is down there isn't just coral, although there's a lot of that about, naturally, it's a seamount slope with a reef.
With luck, fingers crossed and everything else crossed, it's the plane we all want it to be, if not, it's someone else's plane, not what we wanted but, something to show for all the effort.

This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1279 on: June 30, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »

Here's a few images of the strange 'circle' which sits between the theoretical wing root and the theoretical engine.
First image shows the location and is what made me look closer.
Second image shows a close up and, the circle is clearer.

This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1280 on: June 30, 2012, 10:33:18 AM »

Something like this?
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #1281 on: June 30, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »

Great work John---and welcome to the team!
I think Ric & Co. have a good plan to find the wreckage. Know that there is alot at stake here, I believe the best efforts will come out. Without finding some part of the Electra, I feel that another expedition to Niku might not happen. The 3 strikes in the media thing. But ---my feeling is that once parts of the Electra are found, TIGHAR can do another full scale archaeological expedition to cover some of those points that we have brought up here.
I certainly hope so.
Tom

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #1282 on: June 30, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »

I must admit to absolute awe - what looks like an amorphous chunk of coral debris of indeterminate size becomes an identifiable component from the Electra the moment someone draws some coloured lines around it. I can only stand in amazement at such perspicacity. Congratulations.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1283 on: July 01, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »

An image for reference purposes only...

This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1284 on: July 01, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »

A reciever ?
Yellow circle: Dial?
Red lines: knobs?
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1285 on: July 01, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »

I like the microphone cable idea John, that black squiggly thing has been annoying me ever since we first started this thread 34,000 or whatever views ago. Good theory on the cable, has a lot going for it, flexible, retained it's original form, material, resistance to salt water etc...
This must be the place

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #1286 on: July 01, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »

Ok, maybe, but.....I thought I read on here somewhere on one of the posts that one of the yokes had been removed prior to the flight. I can't cite where I saw it. Can anyone clarify that?  -John

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1287 on: July 01, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »

i think i have found what appears to be propeller ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1288 on: July 01, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »

National HRO high-frequency
communication receiver... I will try to get some info on the condensors, RF coils etc... to see if I can ID them in the images

This must be the place

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:01:19 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #1289 on: July 01, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »

Richei, Jeff, John, what ever is there, look to be the majority "might be" in the crevasse on the edge where the rope/cable/wire is. Perhaps it wasnt a crevasse at all. Perhaps it was made by the Electra sliding down the reef slope, and structural parts seen to be hung up on the coral. And, now under some of that.
I think that 'IF" there was a GPS location ( and I think I recall that wasnt available at the time), the ROV's could find that location again, and do an up close and personal search. Maybe even moving around some of this pesky coral so we can get a good look. At any rate, I think you guys have done an awesome job of showing us the possiblities.

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org