Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost posts  (Read 20633 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Lost posts
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »

Gary
Yes, I saw the error in typing and did a reply to correct it, however the reply disappeared somewhere into the Aether never to be seen again.  Thanks for your correction/
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
Re: Re: Flight Plans, Lae to Howland, Howland to Honolulu discrepancy.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:05:58 PM »

Several times I have experienced having a reply disappear into hever-never land never yo be found.  I guess I'll have to type my replies on the notepad and then copy and paste them here.
No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
Re: Re: Flight Plans, Lae to Howland, Howland to Honolulu discrepancy.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »

Several times I have experienced having a reply disappear into hever-never land never yo be found.  I guess I'll have to type my replies on the notepad and then copy and paste them here.
Mine are now disappearing too, apparently something wrong with the TIGHAR site.

gl

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Lost posts
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »

If you guys just want to whine, you may do it in the Chatterbox, which is designed for pointless talk.

If you would like to help debug the Forum software, you'll have to let me know when posts go missing and provide some information about the experience.  I have taken a vow against using my powers of ESP when dealing with mere mortals.

When you lose posts, only you know that they are lost--because, you know, they are lost.

The Forum doesn't tell me that it has lost posts.  That's why we call them "lost."

Helpful information that may help pin down what is happening:

What browser are you using?  Version?

What operating system are you on?

Are you aware of anything that the lost messages have in common?

Can you duplicate the loss? 

When exactly do you lose the post?  Before or after pressing the "Post" button?

N.B. If you inadvertently hit a control key, you might close the edit window.  BTDT, more than once.  This is not the fault of the Forum software, but is a Problem Between Keyboard and Chair (PEBKAC).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 06:48:57 PM »

If you guys just want to whine, you may do it in the Chatterbox, which is designed for pointless talk.

If you would like to help debug the Forum software, you'll have to let me know when posts go missing and provide some information about the experience.  I have taken a vow against using my powers of ESP when dealing with mere mortals.

When you lose posts, only you know that they are lost--because, you know, they are lost.

The Forum doesn't tell me that it has lost posts.  That's why we call them "lost."

N.B. If you inadvertently hit a control key, you might close the edit window.  BTDT, more than once.  This is not the fault of the Forum software, but is a Problem Between Keyboard and Chair (PEBKAC).
Now the whole thread is blank, Flight Plans, Lae to Howland, Howland to Honolulu discrepancy.

gl

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »

No big deal about lost messages on this thread. Google Earth measuring tool is incorrect, end of story there.

See the attached line measure. Google says 2520, it is wrong.

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »

As far as the server goes, I am getting the following error:

Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,549.0.html. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

I have never seen these errors until tonight.

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »

Ok, I have found the problem. I quadruple checked my measuring tool and the results were the same, all wrong.

I wondered if perhaps Google Earth had a bug in it. I checked my version, it was 6.0 something and there was a newer 6.1 update available so I just installed it.

After the install, I checked the already previously saved measure, and guess what, it now reports 2564 SM from Lae to Howland!!

Isn't that nice?

Oh well, I guess if anything good came of it, it is that any version < v6.1 is suspect so far as the measuring tool goes.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »

Marty
Explorer 8.0
Windows XP, Service Pac 3
I typed a reply and clicked on the "Post" button, the typed post went away, I went to the thread and it wasn't there.  I looked up and down in the thread and it wasn't there, i.e it was lost.

BTW who determines which "talk" is "pointless" and what are the criteria to determine that?
No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 09:12:39 PM »

No big deal about lost messages on this thread. Google Earth measuring tool is incorrect, end of story there.

See the attached line measure. Google says 2520, it is wrong.
You can avoid all of these problems by just doing the trig yourself. Just use the standard formula for distance along a great circle.

Great circle distance (NM) = 60 x arccos[(sin LAT1 x sin LAT2) + (cos LAT1 x cos LAT2 x cos(difference in longitude))]
To find the distance on statute miles simply multiply by 1.15.
To find the difference in longitude, if both have the same name, east or west, subtract the smaller from the larger.
If of different names then add them. If the result is greater that 180° then subtract from 360°.
Williams' used 6° 47' S, 147° 00' E for Lae and 00° 49' N, 176° 43' W for Howland.
gl

[attachment deleted by admin]

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »

Marty
Explorer 8.0
Windows XP, Service Pac 3
I typed a reply and clicked on the "Post" button, the typed post went away, I went to the thread and it wasn't there.  I looked up and down in the thread and it wasn't there, i.e it was lost.

Thanks.  I've not seen that particular problem.  It's hard to squash an invisible bug.

BTW who determines which "talk" is "pointless" and what are the criteria to determine that?

I found the two posts in the forum pointless, which is why I moved them here and asked for more information.

Did you see any clues in the posts--apart from the complaint itself--that could be used in problem solving?

It's too late tonight to draw up guidelines for how to report problems.  I've found another problem which might be a cause of the lost posts.  Gary has been trying to upload a large attachment (more than a MB).  When the system tries to create a thumbnail, it runs out of memory.  It is conceivable that his efforts to upload have coincided with other folks' lost posts.  But since we have no information about time or date of the lost posts or of the failed upload attempts, this will have to remain a conjecture.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »

Now the whole thread is blank, Flight Plans, Lae to Howland, Howland to Honolulu discrepancy.

gl

Yes, the same thing happened to me when I uploaded the oversize image you gave me--the thread went blank.

I think we have found the cause of the Lost post problem--when you upload an image  that is 8033 x 3565 pixels, the system runs out of memory trying to create a thumbnail for it.

I've deleted your two uploads of the image.

I've increased the memory size allowed for PHP operations by about 30%.  I could increase it further.  It's not a good way to solve the problem. 

I'm not going to look for a solution tonight ...
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 12:06:41 AM »

As far as the server goes, I am getting the following error:

Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,549.0.html. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

I have never seen these errors until tonight.

Thanks for copying the error message, Heath.  That counts as useful information.

I saw it, too, after I tried uploading the big  8033x3565 picture from Gary, albeit with a different thread. 

After deleting the big file from the system, the threads seem to be accessible again.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »

Testing a reduced-size file.  It's 2048x909.  I think it is sufficiently legible for the purposes of discussion.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:15:50 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

John Wallace

• T1
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:51:03 PM »

Lost posts thread showing up for me. Posted here as this thread not showing to moderator. Not sure myself what attachment was being uploaded prior to problem.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org