Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nessie photo and Emily  (Read 26123 times)

Shannon Council

• TIGHAR member
  • Member #3294R
Nessie photo and Emily
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:53:13 PM »

Is Emily Sikuli still in contact with TIGHAR? It would be interesting to know what she thought of the Nessie photo, as what she describes in her 1999 interview ( tighar.org/Publications/TTracks/15_1/carpentersdaugh.html ) generally fits with what the photo shows - a line with a circle at the end.

I'm sure many TIGHARs also want to know how Jeff Glickman's analysis of the secret hi-res scan is progressing ( which I saw briefly in Reno when Dr. King gave his talk there last year. )

cheers
I drank the TIGHAR Cool-Aid.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Nessie photo and Emily
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »

We haven't been in contact with Emily since we interviewed her in 1999. It would be interesting to have her reaction the Nessie photo but it wouldn't change anything we're doing. Jeff is still working with the photo and has taken some reference measurements from an existing Lockheed 10.  Nothing he has found so far disqualifies the object in the photo from being aircraft wreckage.  How much more he'll be able to say remains to be seen.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:12:36 AM »

We haven't been in contact with Emily since we interviewed her in 1999.

I think Roger Kelley and I interviewed Emily in 2003.

But I agree that there is little point in yet another interview.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »

how long has Jeff had the photo?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:02:26 PM »

He's had it some time - and I was mulling how long it takes for these things and possible reasons that may go beyond the public eye (but what do I know).  

Jeff does his work for TIGHAR on a volunteer basis.  He's extremely busy and can only spend time on our stuff when his schedule permits.  

In some weird way (and I confess, anecdotally at this point) the longer it takes the more intriguing the results tend to be, even when we don't get smoking gun answers.  More often than not, it seems that complex results and possibilities dictate more extensive review - and the answers aren't simple.

Conversely, when an item is easily identified or disqualified the results seem to come rather more quickly.

All true.

I notice too the 'cable' remains in the shadows for now...

I don't think we're going to learn much more about the "cable." It does appear to be manmade but to call it a "cable" implies that we know more than we know.

and Ric and team did find a nasty crease in the reef about 'where it should be' to suggest a tie to nessie...

To be clear. We found a natural groove in the reef in the place where the object was in the 1937 photo. It fits the hypothesis that a wheel may have become stuck in such a groove.

And now with SOMEONE putting up major means for TIGHAR to go back for more extensive sea hunting in 2012 it seems someone besides me is apparently thinking the same things (and would know far more than I can know).

I don't know where the idea came from that someone is putting up major means for TIGHAR to go back for more extensive sea hunting in 2012.  We haven't even defined the technology, the support vessel, or the search area yet - so we don't know how much money we're going to have to raise, let alone know where it's going to come from.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:04:54 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »

I don't know where the idea came from that someone is putting up major means for TIGHAR to go back for more extensive sea hunting in 2012.  We haven't even defined the technology, the support vessel, or the search area yet - so we don't know how much money we're going to have to raise, let alone know where it's going to come from.
If you are going to look in deep water for the airplane or parts of the plane, do you have an extensive list of all serial numbered items. Years ago we lost a helicopter in the gulf during a storm. It sank in deep water. About six months later the dual engine rotor tachometer with serial number was found on the beach in Texas.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:33:55 AM »

If you are going to look in deep water for the airplane or parts of the plane, do you have an extensive list of all serial numbered items.

We have serial numbers for the engines, propeller hubs and propeller blades. There is apparently no surviving record of serial numbers for instruments, radios, gear motor, flap motor, etc.
On the other hand, there should be no airplane wreckage of any kind in the water near Nikumaroro unless it's the Electra and all we really need is something that can be conclusively identified as being from a Lockheed 10 (I'd like to hear anyone's theory of how a Model 10 other than c/n 1055 got to Niku).

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 02:46:32 AM »

I notice too the 'cable' remains in the shadows for now... and Ric and team did find a nasty crease in the reef about 'where it should be' to suggest a tie to nessie...

The Cable! Could it be part of the fishing line seen by John Mims. Of course we may never know unless it can be found and inspected.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »

It was speculation but the fishing line popped into my head last night and you never know, a colonist who fished off the reef edge may have just hooked a big one and lost his line just off where Nessie is.  Maybe they hooked an even bigger 'silver' fish  ;D

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »

For what its worth, I believe that the Electra IS down there. Not sure of the bottom depth off the slope--maybe 1000-1500 meters. Sandy bottom? I'm inclined to think that Ric & Co. just missed it. I also think that it, or major parts of it are intact enough to make an ID. Raising it would be a major undertaking, but has been done. Thinking of the Devestator find in Truk, leads me to think that the Electra 'might' be in fairly decent condition.
Next to finding Flight 19, this might be the most significant aviation mystery find in history. Any other possibilities to acquire the necessary financial and technical assistance?
Tom

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 12:22:33 PM »

Not sure of the bottom depth off the slope--maybe 1000-1500 meters.

Depends on how far out you go. 1,000 meters deep is about a mile out - much farther than we should have to go.

Sandy bottom?

No.  Rugged coral slope.

I'm inclined to think that Ric & Co. just missed it.

We didn't get deep enough.  We only got to 300 meters in a small area.  In most areas we only got to 150 meters.

I also think that it, or major parts of it are intact enough to make an ID. Raising it would be a major undertaking, but has been done. Thinking of the Devestator find in Truk, leads me to think that the Electra 'might' be in fairly decent condition.

The damage should be largely confined to the effects of the getting beat up on the reef edge before sliding down the reef slope. Whatever is left should be in good condition.  The Devastator is in Jaluit Lagoon in the Marshalls.

Next to finding Flight 19, this might be the most significant aviation mystery find in history.

Puh-leeeze.  Flight 19 is a totally bogus mystery. A tragic navigational error but not at all mysterious.

Any other possibilities to acquire the necessary financial and technical assistance?

We're working a number of good leads.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »

My geography is off alittle--sorry! With all due respect to Ric & TIGHAR---I was refering to the search for missing planes---not whether someone made a navigational error and crashed at sea. Hum----does sound kinda familiar. As far as new technical help---Curt Newport found Liberty Bell 7, and parts of Challenger. Discovery was part of the Liberty Bell project I think. Granted, much closer to the US as far as logistics go, but a much smaller target; deeper and smaller that the Electra. Just trying to stimulate some thiking and help.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:52:58 PM »

Forgive me for being a "Newbie", but I haven't seen a link to the "Nessie" photo in question.  Is it the photo taken from a search plane in 1937 thatr is being discussed?  I have a question about that photo:  Where is the Norwich City"?  Presumably it was there since it is mentioned and described in Lambrecht's report.
     My mind is boggled by a report that gives details about a "Carburetor" and its problems, a pontoon, a lagoon providing a place for a seaplane to land, etc  but not a word about the presence or absence of an aircraft or wreckage.  I quess the reader of the report was to assume, since no mention was made of it, that the primary object of the search wasn't there.  Nor does the report mention a photo havbeen taken.  How does one reconcile this with later reports about airplane wreckage being on the Island circa 1938/1939?
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »

Forgive me for being a "Newbie", but I haven't seen a link to the "Nessie" photo in question.  Is it the photo taken from a search plane in 1937 thatr is being discussed?  I have a question about that photo:  Where is the Norwich City"?  Presumably it was there since it is mentioned and described in Lambrecht's report.

The Nessie photo and speculation about it emerged in the Spring of 2010, and so I recommend taking a look at the Earhart Project Research Bulletin #57, "Hiding in Plain Sight" followed by the update in Bulletin #58, "The Nessie Hypothesis".

You can orient yourself to key spots on Nikumaroro by looking, for example, at this map that shows the location of the Norwich City in the upper left corner.

If you haven't already done so, a very good immersion into the key information underlying the Amelia Earhart Project and Forum can be had in a reasonable amount of time by stepping through the various links on this excellent page designed especially for "newbies".  The Ameliapedia has a wealth of information that'll keep you busy for hours and hours of reading pleasure.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 07:14:06 PM »

Bruce
Thank you ever so much for your reply and the links to info on "Nessie" Nd the Newbie info as well.         LTM    Harry 8)
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org