Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Could AE and FN have known it was named "Norwich City"?  (Read 109909 times)

Bill Lloyd

• T3
Re: Could AE and FN have known it was named "Norwich City"?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 08:12:25 PM »

[Excellent question, and it brings up an important point about evaluating what is often termed "oral history."  If you review the video of my interview with Betty in 2000 (available on DVD) you'll see that the conjecture that she might have heard "New York City" came as a suggestion from me, not from Betty.  She had already talked about writing "N.Y., N.Y." without saying anything about it standing for New York City. I knew I was "leading the witness" and I was careful to tell her that it was okay for her to disagree, but I wondered if it was possible that she meant "N.Y., N.Y." to mean New York City.  The more she thought about it, the more she became convinced it was possible.  She did not, at that time, realize the significance of hearing New York City.
On page 5 of Betty's notebook, Betty wrote beside N.Y. N.Y. the comment "or something that sounded like New York".  Did she write this before or after your interview? The handwriting appears to be the same.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 06:04:59 AM »

Years after the event, but long before her interview with me, Betty made a few explanatory notations in the notebook thinking she would some day pass the notebook on to her son Danny.  The notation "or something that sounded like New York" is one of those notations.  Anyone really interested in the nuances of Betty's transcription should get the DVD of the 2000 interview.  It's a line-by-line interrogation of everything Betty wrote in the notebook and remembered about what she heard.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 06:53:25 AM »

... It's a line-by-line interrogation of everything Betty wrote in the notebook and remembered about what she heard.

Complete with hot lamp shining in her face? I assume Rick played the good cop?  Sorry, the image that conjures...

Gatta get me that video.

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »

Anyone really interested in the nuances of Betty's transcription should get the DVD of the 2000 interview.  It's a line-by-line interrogation of everything Betty wrote in the notebook and remembered about what she heard.
I am sure the DVD would be very interesting. Is there a written transcript of the interview available?

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2011, 12:35:33 AM »

I'm a new member, a retired truckdriver, so my expertise lies in heavy lifting. I just finished reading the "Shoes" book, and various thoughts occurred to me. I recall being with an adventure travel/hiking group in Liverpool Land, Scoresby Sound, Greenland in Aug. 2003. We were about 9 miles down a valley, just about to leave to hike back to the trailhead. A helicopter was on its way to pick up our pile of leftover supplies which they had dropped there 9 days previous. It was calm & clear early morning. They approached, we waved (13 of us) and they turned around and left. We finally contacted them by satellite phone. The word was they didn't see us!!! Apparently this was the truth, as far as I know. So they came back, somewhat later. Just an anecdotal true story of aircraft sighting people or not sighting them out in the open. So imagine a search plane looking for people on a semi-jungle island where they were not supposed to be, anyway. Like Amelia. Maybe it's not so easy to spot a person who most likely did not think to have a signal mirror.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:01:15 AM by moleski »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2011, 05:51:47 AM »

Is there a written transcript of the interview available?

No.  It would be nice to have but it would be book-length and we just haven't had time to do it.

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »

I wish I were able to view Nikumararo and the conditions there but I can't so my scenarios could be entirely mistaken.  I would think if I were in a damged plane in the surf I would probably want to get on the island. Yet from what I read, the coconut crabs are such a nuisance one would not want to sleep there w/o shelter which Amelia most likely would not have. Yet they need to look for water. Still, they might want to sleep in the plane, and that would involve trips back and forth. Wouldn't those trips be harrowing? Doesn't it involve body surfing and swimming? I don't know if they were strong swimmers. In my experience, (for example, Cancun last July) this is very dangerous, especially on a rocky beach with exposed coral. What I am getting at is, suppose Amelia was killed or drowned. Her body might be in the water to be nibbled on by creatures. Sharks maybe? Wouldn't that account for missing pieces? Do drowning victims in that area wash up on the beach always intact? There seems to be questions where the skeleton was found, perhaps it was high up on the beach. Just thoughts.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2011, 06:58:08 AM »

If the bones found in 1940 were Amelia's she was not eaten by sharks. The skeleton was found inland, two miles from where we think the plane landed.
You don't need to swim or body surf to get from the beach to the outer portion of the reef where we think the plane was - if you make the trip at low tide.  Even so, the reef surface is jagged and extremely slippery in many places.  You carry a stout walking stick and you go slowly. When the tide is in it's really not practical to venture out on to the reef.  The surf will knock you down and the sharks will take it from there.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »

I wish I were able to view Nikumararo and the conditions there but I can't .....

Ahhh, but you can!!

Anyone who wants a better understanding of the reef, the lagoon, and the relationship of the 7 site to where we think the Electra landed should think about getting the "Aerial Tour of Nikumaroro" video.

When you view this video, you'll have a much better understanding of the relative locations of the places we talk about, and how difficult it would have been to spot persons on the ground during the aerial search.

Andrew
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:14:53 PM by moleski »

Simon Dresner

• T1
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »

Years after the event, but long before her interview with me, Betty made a few explanatory notations in the notebook thinking she would some day pass the notebook on to her son Danny.  The notation "or something that sounded like New York" is one of those notations.  Anyone really interested in the nuances of Betty's transcription should get the DVD of the 2000 interview.  It's a line-by-line interrogation of everything Betty wrote in the notebook and remembered about what she heard.

I find Betty's notes very intriguing, but I have a degree of scepticism about them. I studied psychology and one thing I learned is how hopelessly unreliable witness recollections are. Anything that wasn't written at the time she heard the voice on the radio has to be regarded as doubtful. We can't regard the notes she wrote years later as worth much as evidence. We can have even less confidence in an interpretation of "N.Y. N.Y." as "Norwich City" after the proposition was put to her.

I also have some scepticism about the reliability of the notes she wrote at the time. Human beings have a remarkable ability to make patterns out of randomness. Betty listened to the voice for a long time, but could only quite occasionally make things out which she wrote down. We know that when people are straining like that to detect something they can find patterns that aren't there. Betty seems to have been able to make out more from the transmissions than anyone else, including professional radio operators in the Pacific.

A good example is the canals of Mars. One astronomer thought he saw them and then other people started to see them too. People were straining to see these lines at the limit of visual perception through their telescopes and - lo - sometimes they could see them, although most observers couldn't. We now know that almost all of the 'canals' had no basis in what was actually on Mars. Ironically, the most widely seen 'canal' was actually a real linear feature on Mars - Valles Marineris - but the rest were illusory.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:40:18 PM by Simon Dresner »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »

Betty seems to have been able to make out more from the transmissions than anyone else, including professional radio operators in the Pacific.

That's not a fair comparison.  Betty and the other private citizen shortwave listeners who heard something they thought was Amelia Earhart were listening on a harmonic of Earhart's primary frequencies.  The professional operators in the Pacific were listening on the primary frequencies.    Apples and oranges.

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 06:44:35 PM »

I have a problem accepting Simon's arguement concerning Betty's notes:  "I also have some scepticism about the reliability of the notes she wrote at the time. Human beings have a remarkable ability to make patterns out of randomness."

Keep in mind that the general belief at the time was that AE/FN were down at sea.  Betty's notes clearly indicate that AE/FN were free to leave the plane because of rising tides, words to the effect the water is getting higher as they try to communicate, etc.

Reading Betty's notes give one the impression that AE was doing most of the talking and FN was in the background feeling somewhat poorly.  Wouldn't the logical interpretation by a young girl be that either FN was busy getting them to shore safely or he was leaving the "frutless radio traffic" up to AE to keep her busy and out of his hair!  Betty's memo indicates that AE was the one in charge not the guy which is/was contrary to the social norm of the day.

If Betty's notes were indeed "patterns out of randomness" I would suggest that Simon revisit the sequential pattern exhibited in Betty's memo - there were periods of time where no transmissions were recorded, if Simon is correct would this be an ideal time for Betty to "fill in the blanks?"  She didn't, she simply stopped and waited for the next transmission.

Finally, Betty did sugget to her Dad that her record should be sent over to the Coast Guard, if she was makinking all this up wouldl she do this?

Ted Campbell 

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »

As a police officer, I would accept the notes she made at the time extremely reliable, in the context of what she perceived and thought she heard at the time.  That's why we write reports and do debriefings as soon after the event as possible, before we start to "fill in the blanks" of memory.  (We all do it, by the way.  If you can, read a letter you wrote about a significant event twenty years ago and note how differently you remember it now.)  That's why first person accounts recorded immediately after historical events are so valuable.  Notes she added years later would obviously be more suspect.  Just my two cents worth!

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2011, 08:35:47 PM »

I also believe there must be something to Betty's notes.  Just for a minute lets drop what the initials "N.Y." stood for.  What would possess Betty to write these initials down?  They don"t fit into the bits and pieces of conversation she did write down.  Numbers, partial sentences, sporadic snatches of conversation between two people.  Thats what she wrote down.  Imagine she made this up based on what she had learned from other sources.  Why then would she write "N.Y." over and over?  How does "N.Y." fit into the known facts of that day?  It doesn't.  At the time she wrote these notes the famous Gardner Island shipwreck wasn't part of the known facts. 

Why then would Betty write "N.Y." and so many times?  Possibly because she was hearing the name of the one identifying "landmark" that AE and Fred could use.   The notes Betty wrote suggested the words she heard were "New York city".  Why?  Perhaps harmonics distortion and the fact that to a young girl New York city was a major name that she knew.  The witness fitting what she was hearing into language she understood. 

Why so many times?  Likely it was AE desperately trying to get something out to the world that wasn't a Lat and Long that might help.  Perhaps someone on a nearby island that wouldn't understand the Lat and Long but who would understand the name Norwich City.  AE understood little about the radios she carried but may have figured out that voice transmission from the ground would have less range than voice from several thousand feet of altitude.  Expecting then that only a local radio station may hear her she repeated the name of the one landmark that mattered.  Naturally this is all speculation but why would Betty write "N.Y." if she wasn't hearing it.  You can make things up to fit a story but given the content of the rest of her notes, why "N.Y."?

I apologise in advance for using words like "might" and "perhaps" as I know there is a way to phrase these possibilities while not suggesting there is any fact behind them. 

Irv Donald
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Simon Dresner

• T1
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2011, 04:39:09 AM »

Betty seems to have been able to make out more from the transmissions than anyone else, including professional radio operators in the Pacific.

That's not a fair comparison.  Betty and the other private citizen shortwave listeners who heard something they thought was Amelia Earhart were listening on a harmonic of Earhart's primary frequencies.  The professional operators in the Pacific were listening on the primary frequencies.    Apples and oranges.

That's a fair point, but doesn't Betty seem to have been able to make out more than the others? That could be because she had better reception, but why was that when she was so far away and relying on so many bounces off the ionosphere? I think I read that propagation analysis indicated that the probability of the signal having got to her was low.

I have a problem accepting Simon's arguement concerning Betty's notes:  "I also have some scepticism about the reliability of the notes she wrote at the time. Human beings have a remarkable ability to make patterns out of randomness."

Keep in mind that the general belief at the time was that AE/FN were down at sea.  Betty's notes clearly indicate that AE/FN were free to leave the plane because of rising tides, words to the effect the water is getting higher as they try to communicate, etc.

Reading Betty's notes give one the impression that AE was doing most of the talking and FN was in the background feeling somewhat poorly.  Wouldn't the logical interpretation by a young girl be that either FN was busy getting them to shore safely or he was leaving the "frutless radio traffic" up to AE to keep her busy and out of his hair!  Betty's memo indicates that AE was the one in charge not the guy which is/was contrary to the social norm of the day.

One gets that impression from the explanatory notes she wrote afterwards. What was actually written at the time is hard to interpret as we don't know who was saying what or what the context was. AE was the pilot and a feminist icon, so it would be reasonable to expect her to be the one in charge. Betty would not necessarily have had the sexist stereotypes you assume. Betty paints a very vivid picture in her commentary, but it's subject to the vagaries of human memory. I find it hard to believe that years later she remembered who said what or what was going on in the cockpit that wasn't written down at the time. If she had heard FN complaining about his head, why didn't she write it down at the time, but only years later?

If Betty's notes were indeed "patterns out of randomness" I would suggest that Simon revisit the sequential pattern exhibited in Betty's memo - there were periods of time where no transmissions were recorded, if Simon is correct would this be an ideal time for Betty to "fill in the blanks?"  She didn't, she simply stopped and waited for the next transmission.

I didn't say that Betty was filling in the blanks. Betty was hearing something, but it was indistinct. If you hear something very faintly it is difficult to make out and lots of errors occur. It's clear from the notes that she was only getting snatches, so she was straining to make anything out. It is plausible that she was hearing AE, but I think people are placing too much weight on what she wrote given the difficulty of making anything out. Speculation about NY being Norwich City is interesting, but it's just speculation.

Finally, Betty did sugget to her Dad that her record should be sent over to the Coast Guard, if she was makinking all this up wouldl she do this?

I didn't say she was making it up. I think she heard something. She may well have heard AE. I said she was straining to make it out. We know that people make lots of errors then, unconsciously finding patterns and meaning in things. Here is what Sir Ernst Gombrich said about his experiences listening to radio transmissions during the Second World War:

I was employed for six years by the British Broadcasting Corporation in their "Monitoring Service," or listening post, where we kept constant watch on radio transmissions from friend and foe. It was in this context that the importance of guided projection in our understanding of symbolic material was brought home to me. Some of the transmissions which interested us most were barely audible, and it became quite an art, or even a sport, to interpret the few whiffs of speech sound that were all we really had on the wax cylinders on which these broadcasts had been recorded. It was then we learned to what extent our knowledge and expectations influence our hearing. You had to know what might be said in order to hear what was said. More exactly, you tried from your knowledge of possibilities certain word combinations and tried projecting them into noises heard. The problem was a twofold one---to think of possibilities and to retain one's critical faculty. . . . For this was the most striking experience of all: once your expectation was firmly set and your conviction settled, you ceased to be aware of your own activity, the noises appeared to fall into place and be transformed into the expected words. So strong was this effect of suggestion that we made it a practice never to tell a colleague our own interpretation if we wanted him to test it. Expectation created illusion.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:41:02 AM by Simon Dresner »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org