Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Different island .. I got pictures.  (Read 19838 times)

Travis Nutsch

• TIGHAR member
  • wanna fight about it?
Re: Different island .. I got pictures.
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2023, 10:44:50 PM »

This section of the forum is for theory not endorsed by TIGHAR so why you guys all mad?  With AE as the subject this section should be overflowing with crazy ideas.  All you gotta do is find the plane at Niku and I'll be on my way.

I'll type up my calculations for showing the possibility of the round trip endurance tonight.  Can anyone tell me for sure if the POH is in statute or nautical miles?  It doesn't ever say from what I recall.
"American Knowmad"
KF7FEV
Part107
Private Pilot

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:48:39 PM by Travis Nutsch »

Christian Stock

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2023, 01:00:50 PM »

This section of the forum is for theory not endorsed by TIGHAR so why you guys all mad? 

probably the whole accusing someone of manufacturing fraudulent evidence thing.

....which, btw, is another favored tactic of conspiracy theorists - Anything that contradicts the conspiracy theory is fraudulent and/or a lie intended to help the conspiracy.

Oh, and someone already crunched all of the numbers for a return to PNG, so you don't have to. Whether possible, I don't know....

https://earhartsearchpng.com/earhart-lockheed-electra-search-project-9/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 02:30:57 PM by Christian Stock »

Travis Nutsch

• TIGHAR member
  • wanna fight about it?
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2023, 05:41:11 PM »

probably the whole accusing someone of manufacturing fraudulent evidence thing.

Yo! You misunderstood me then.  I was saying that the Betty Notebook clearly includes coordinates that at a minimum tell us that AE was pretty sure she was South of the Equator and West of the Anti-meridian.  Nike island is EAST of the anti-meridian.  Ric doesn't seem to take the east west thing seriously so my sarcastic suggestion was that he knows the notebook is bogus.

Really it was a joke.  The joke being...  If hypothetically the Betty Notebook is bogus and Ric knows it's bogus... and if he hypothetically had a part in fabricating it,... he surely would have had the fabricated coordinates in the hypothetically fabricated document at least be on the same side of the anti-meridian as Nike Island.  The point being that the Betty notebook, surely isn't fabricated and you guys should open your eyes to your own evidence. 

I can think of no logical reason why my point isn't taken seriously if you have faith the Betty Notebook is legit, and I think most if not all of you do, myself included.  I believe the notebook to be genuine and I thought all of you were with me on that.  My point being that how come nobody else wants to address how the Easterly coordinates in the Betty notebook contradict Nike Island?

Yes! Nike Island.  I like it!  If even just to piss y'all off more...  Seriously tho people take a chill pill.  If I am wrong, none of you should care and I really shouldn't be given enough control of anyones emotions to upset anyone. 

Now if I am right and y'all wasted uncountable hours and/or years of your life on Nike Island and punk ass Travis shows up the last min of the 4th quarter and proves it... well THEN hate me, curse my name, and be butt hurt.  At that point I'll welcome it.  Until someone has incontestable proof... we are all on the same team homies.

I get that the Betty notebook being fabricated might be a touchy subject because in the past perhaps it has been indirectly suggested that TIGHAR did have a part in fabricating the Betty Notebook. 
I never meant to suggest that I believed that to be the case.  Sorry if I didn't make that clear.  Sorry Ric.
"American Knowmad"
KF7FEV
Part107
Private Pilot

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 05:43:38 PM by Travis Nutsch »

Travis Nutsch

• TIGHAR member
  • wanna fight about it?
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2023, 06:50:01 PM »

....which, btw, is another favored tactic of conspiracy theorists - Anything that contradicts the conspiracy theory is fraudulent and/or a lie intended to help the conspiracy.

I meant to indicate that the Betty notebook supported my conspiracy! due to the coordinates suggesting they were on the west side of the anti-meridian and at 3 degrees south of the equator.  Probably the most significant piece of evidence that points more to my location over Nike island.
"American Knowmad"
KF7FEV
Part107
Private Pilot

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2023, 06:29:39 AM »

Oh this rabbit hole just gets deeper and deeper.........
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Travis Nutsch

• TIGHAR member
  • wanna fight about it?
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2023, 08:45:33 AM »

Oh this rabbit hole just gets deeper and deeper.........

https://a.co/d/1EJwdxb
"American Knowmad"
KF7FEV
Part107
Private Pilot

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2023, 08:00:41 AM »

OMG! That's is great! Made me laugh out loud! :D
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2023, 08:07:37 AM »

Good ol' Chris Williamson.  His book is drawn from his podcast series.  All theories are equal.  Nothing is too crazy for Chris to exploit.  He would love Travis's.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2023, 08:37:13 AM »

I'll type up my calculations for showing the possibility of the round trip endurance tonight.  Can anyone tell me for sure if the POH is in statute or nautical miles?  It doesn't ever say from what I recall.

If by POH you mean Pilot's Operating Handbook, all Lockheed Model 10 Operating Instructions refer to M.P.H. except editions intended for European operators which use KmPH.  Standard Operating Instructions for the Model 10 are useless for calculating Earhart's endurance.  For that you need Lockheed Report 487 and Kelly Johnson's telegrams with the power/fuel management profile he laid out for Earhart.
All speeds in Report 487 are expressed in M.P.H, not Kts.
If you don't know that M.P.H. stands for statute miles per hour and Kts stands for Knots (nautical miles per hour), you're in even farther over your head than I thought.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2023, 10:14:38 AM »

I was saying that the Betty Notebook clearly includes coordinates that at a minimum tell us that AE was pretty sure she was South of the Equator and West of the Anti-meridian.  Nike island is EAST of the anti-meridian.  Ric doesn't seem to take the east west thing seriously so my sarcastic suggestion was that he knows the notebook is bogus. ...  I believe the notebook to be genuine and I thought all of you were with me on that.  My point being that how come nobody else wants to address how the Easterly coordinates in the Betty notebook contradict Nike Island?

Okay, I'll play.  What Betty wrote in her notebook was "South 391065 Z or E". Some time (probably years) later, she added her parenthetical interpretation that the entry meant coordinates "{S 309' 165° E}".  Those are not valid coordinates, but let's say she meant "S 3° 09', 165° E".
USS Ontario's assigned plane guard station was 3° 05' S, 165° E.  The most commonly confused numbers in radio transmissions are 5 and 9.  That's why we say "9er".  If the coordinates Earhart sent were actually "South 3°5', 165° E" she was sending Ontario's assigned position.
Why would she do that? 

Noonan appears to have gotten at least their latitude soon after their arrival on Adidas, or Nike, or whatever name you prefer. Earhart knew they were "on reef southeast of Howland" but coordinates were Noonan's department.  By the time Betty heard Earhart (Monday, July 5), Noonan was out of his head. If she was looking at Noonan's charts to see if he had written the coordinates down somewhere, she may have come across his notation of Ontario's assigned position (something he would definitely need to have).  Earhart's knowledge of navigation was notoriously bad, that's why she had Noonan aboard.  Is it too much of a stretch to think she sent Ontario's coordinates, not realizing what they were? The similarity between what Betty wrote down and Ontario's position is either a plausible explanation of why she would send coordinates with an "E" or it's an incredible coincidence.  In either case, the coordinates Betty seems to have recorded are a loooong way from your engines and can not possibly be where she actually was.

Now if I am right and y'all wasted uncountable hours and/or years of your life on Nike Island and punk ass Travis shows up the last min of the 4th quarter and proves it... well THEN hate me, curse my name, and be butt hurt.  At that point I'll welcome it.

It's okay Travis.  Nobody hates you.  If you can prove us wrong we'll thank you, as we did John Kada when he proved the sextant box almost certainly came from USS Bushnell. It's actually kind of fun and instructive to watch you try. You're a poster-child for bad methodology.

I get that the Betty notebook being fabricated might be a touchy subject because in the past perhaps it has been indirectly suggested that TIGHAR did have a part in fabricating the Betty Notebook. 
I never meant to suggest that I believed that to be the case.  Sorry if I didn't make that clear.  Sorry Ric.

Apology accepted.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 10:18:17 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Travis Nutsch

• TIGHAR member
  • wanna fight about it?
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2023, 06:12:33 PM »

Okay, I'll play.  What Betty wrote in her notebook was "South 391065 Z or E". Some time (probably years) later, she added her parenthetical interpretation that the entry meant coordinates "{S 309' 165° E}".  Those are not valid coordinates, but let's say she meant "S 3° 09', 165° E".

If I was stranded on an uninhabited island I think I would make sure I wasn't transmitting the wrong coordinates if I wanted to get found.  And for sure I wouldn't transmit coordinates on the wrong side of the date line by mistake.  I don't care how sloppy noonans notes were after making it this far around the earth AE should have known the relative quadrant she was in and the difference between NS and EW.

Bettys Parenthetical correction especially if she did it much later shows us that she is clearly dyslexic.  Did Betty mention anything about the coordinate correction in the margin?  What exactly did she say?!?!?

The Chatter report shows us the convention AE used to report her position.

3.19 pm on 6210 KC – “HEIGHT 10000 FEET POSITION 150.7 east 7.3 south CUMULUS CLOUDS EVERYTHING OKAY”
5.18 p.m. “POSITION 4.33 SOUTH 159.7 EAST HEIGHT 8000 FEET OVER CUMULUS CLOUDS WIND 23 KNOTS”.

She flips the order of S and E and she fails to maintain precision of digits as 4.33 is a more precise measurement than 7.3.  She does not seem to mix up E and W.  Although if one did mix up east and west anything to the west is also to the east of you if you take the long way 'round.

Oh that reminds me! why did chatter say that AE would be txing at 18 past the hour? Didn't everywhere besides the chatter report say 15 past the hour and that she was not going to have any two way communication with any individual station(removing the possiblitlity of a second conversation with LAE after her 15 min report anyone else would be listening for.) A possible way this fits into my theory is Chatter knew her chronometer had been sabotaged and was off by 3-4 minuites and said this(probably overthinking the deception being that he was serious IFR pilot) to suggest it was not a mistake to be hearing her transmissions offset by 3 mins.  Many of the ship radio logs also show her transmissions off by 3ish mins and I also find the mass 3 min window/corrections throughout the ship logs seeming to be atypical.  This would put her navigation 50 miles short of howland and her position reports would be 50 miles east of where she actually was.

3.09 S 156(dyslexic correction) E begins to look closer to my location and reported position is to the east which is consistent with the 3 min error explanation.

Lets assume she had the tanks all the way full.  1200 gallons.  Lae - Howland is a little over 2500 Statute Miles.  I am going to assume an average speed of 160mph.  She left at 10am.  The trip to 50miles short of howland should be about 15.5hrs.

I have never tried to use an air almanac or ever done any sort of celestial navigation.  I've never been on a boat with a map...  I know how to use a plotter and navigate using charts in an airplane but prefer to rely on GPS whenever possible and have an airport to land at in sight at all times ready to declare an emergency and land in the event of GPS satellites going offline or an electrical system failure...  Joke... 

Can you imagine working ATC in the event the Chinese nuke enough GPS sats to make GPS navigation impossible for aircraft over the continental US and subsequently having every single stateside airborne flight declare an emergency.  LOL.  I know there are plenty of older pilots with more experience than me more who are more dependent on GPS than I am...

My mother(AE buff) was at work in a dark room of a flight service station when all aircraft were grounded following the 9/11 attack.

Noonan is looking at an air almanac I assume along side his notes and his sextant.  This tells me a few things.

They would be ariving at Howland around 1:30 or 2am?  ...I thought it was later in the morning...  Maybe 160mph is too fast of an average.  Help me on this...? but regardless of the speed and arrival time, the way an air almanac works is, noonan would have to turn his air almanac to the next page after midnight came. 

I also believe the way and air almanac works is that he would have to turn back a page as they cross the anti-meridian.

Then if they turned around and recross the anti meridian he has to once more again turn forward a page? 

Actually I am pretty sure I could possibly might for sure have that all somehow wrong maybe.  It's pretty confusing thinking about all the page turning to me if that is even how it works.  Could Noonan have made a mistake in the direction of his page turns and gotten confused as to what day it was vs. their local time zone and thus putting them a degree or two off for each mistake he made by being on the wrong page of the air almanac?  I get confused trying to figure it out how it would work so I could see stressed out/loss of faith in navigational ability/sleep deprived/hit his head in the wreck Noonan getting confused after turning around and recrossing the date line as to what day it is and what page to be on.  This could further account for the longitudinal difference between the betty coordinates and the PNG island site. 

I could have this all wrong I am not sure.  It has been a while since I initially jam fit these possible puzzle pieces together and came up with this theory in the first place.

It does seem the 666 report tells us that the possible endurance with the passenger compartment fuel tanks filled with 1200gallons and the plane at 16500lb take off weight would be 4000mi.  My suggested flight when accounting for turning around 50 miles longitudinally short of howland and going back the way they came is 4500ish miles.  500 miles seems like a lot of extra miles to be able to make it.  Would there not have been any additional included calculated margin of error or reserve in the endurance report?  Could the one of a kind fuel tank setup have had any fuel reserve built in?  We're talking about 1936 2 barrel carburetors in a draw through? supercharged 9 cylinder radial engine.  I think the fuel metering would have been less than precise and if I were PIC I would plan on the conservative side of endurance.  Also consider on a 4000mile trip an extra 500 miles is about 11.3% difference.  My personal limited probably retarded comparison... in a cessna 150 with an O200 that normally burns 5gph.  12% better  would be 4.4gph which I have been able to achieve even better than that with careful conservative mixture operation while still safely operating the engine rich of peak, all without an EGT system.  Wind will never really help you when you are considering a return flight unless you get very lucky and the wind direction changes in your favor one way to in your favor the other way but it could happen especially if noonan was able to use his drift sight(?) and they found the best altitude.  When you are talking about 4000miles 12% would make enough difference to make it back to my PNG Island(lets actually call that one Adidas.) For the TIGHAR Island lets stick to Nike please.

Super unlikely but I wonder if once "half (h)our fuel left" at altitude you could shut down an engine and get better efficiency in an electra considering the double tail to compensate for asymmetrical thrust.  I know this would for sure not work in a 400 series twin cessna(no doubt unrecoverable stall spin crash a big factor being the size of the vertical stabilizer.) Anyone done a check ride in an electra to know if they actually would simulate an engine out?  https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/17480/can-a-four-engine-aircraft-with-limited-fuel-gain-extra-range-by-shutting-down-o

My way of fitting the puzzle together could be a long shot but I don't see AE grossly misunderstanding noonans notes and transmitting the Ontario location from the wrong relative quadrant she was in while seeking rescue from an uninhabited island being more likely than the way I fit this all together...  Would they have even have known where the Ontario was?  I maybe remember a telegram from before the flight containing this information but i'm not sure now.

ADIDAS = All Day I Dream About Sex.  Lets not forget the Adidas slogan either:  "Impossible is Nothing."

I hope the joking tone of this post is perceived and I don't further upset anyone.  Additionally please consider the actual facts of my suggestion carefully before dismissing me all together.

Okay I've been proof reading this post for hours now.  It may not be perfect but I am posting it...

Ooops right before posting I realized I am forgetting to consider 10AM is LAE timezone...  See I am confused on how to fix this all now.  I think my point here still holds true in that they would have been flying at midnight and zone time and crossing/recrossing the date line while using celestial navigation might be more confusing than typical to a 1937 navigator.

Edit/add:
@Ric Gillespie. I was misremembering the Report 478 as the POH.  My bad.  wishful thinking hoping the endurance potential would be 4000kts rather than statute miles. 

"American Knowmad"
KF7FEV
Part107
Private Pilot

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 08:14:48 PM by Travis Nutsch »

Randy Jacobson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2023, 05:33:34 AM »

Travis:
Your entire hypothesis is based upon 3 pictures, which have not been independently verified/validated as a Lockheed L-10.  That should be your first priority.  As others have stated, there are other planes with similar features.  Having additional photos/documentation of the plane in question would either greatly strengthen your argument or completely dissolve the hypothesis.

You also disregard known facts, e.g. the amount of fuel Earhart left with; her planned speed was 150 mph in air so that winds would affect her speed over ground.  No other AE researcher has come up with a return leg as far as you propose based upon speed over the ground and fuel consumption (yes, some have proposed a return to Micronesia, well short of NG however).

Your arguments are such that you have reached a conclusion and are searching for data that supports that conclusion.  That is not the way to do rigorous scientific or historical research.  One must first collect all of the facts (yes, even the conflicting ones), and find a hypothesis that fits as many of the facts as possible.  Adjustments or outright abandonment of a hypothesis is usually a follow-on, based upon new information or a better fitting of the facts. 

I have spent the past 25+ years trying to prove the Niku hypothesis to be wrong, and was one of the first researchers to document the weather, navigation, possible flight paths, all radio messages in a database for others to use.  There are still parts of the Niku hypothesis is have a bias against (mostly environmental), but after all this time, I have not been able to disprove the hypothesis.

Again, I go back to the "fact" of the 3 photos of an underwater aircraft wreck as being one of the most crucial facts in your case.  If it can be proved to be a L-10, great!  Let's go with it!  But if it isn't and can be proven not to be, all of the conjecture assuming it is an L-10 is simply blowing dust in the wind, so to speak.

Travis Nutsch

• TIGHAR member
  • wanna fight about it?
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2023, 06:20:52 AM »

Travis:
Your entire hypothesis is based upon 3 pictures, which have not been independently verified/validated as a Lockheed L-10.  That should be your first priority.  As others have stated, there are other planes with similar features.  Having additional photos/documentation of the plane in question would either greatly strengthen your argument or completely dissolve the hypothesis.

You also disregard known facts, e.g. the amount of fuel Earhart left with; her planned speed was 150 mph in air so that winds would affect her speed over ground.  No other AE researcher has come up with a return leg as far as you propose based upon speed over the ground and fuel consumption (yes, some have proposed a return to Micronesia, well short of NG however).

Your arguments are such that you have reached a conclusion and are searching for data that supports that conclusion.  That is not the way to do rigorous scientific or historical research.  One must first collect all of the facts (yes, even the conflicting ones), and find a hypothesis that fits as many of the facts as possible.  Adjustments or outright abandonment of a hypothesis is usually a follow-on, based upon new information or a better fitting of the facts. 

I have spent the past 25+ years trying to prove the Niku hypothesis to be wrong, and was one of the first researchers to document the weather, navigation, possible flight paths, all radio messages in a database for others to use.  There are still parts of the Niku hypothesis is have a bias against (mostly environmental), but after all this time, I have not been able to disprove the hypothesis.

Again, I go back to the "fact" of the 3 photos of an underwater aircraft wreck as being one of the most crucial facts in your case.  If it can be proved to be a L-10, great!  Let's go with it!  But if it isn't and can be proven not to be, all of the conjecture assuming it is an L-10 is simply blowing dust in the wind, so to speak.

Less than cooperative locals who I can't trust make this all pretty difficult.  They see the gas tanks in the back of the plane and think they are full of gold and then stop being helpful thinking I am going to get rich by sending me pictures and a country who's government monitors all communications in an out after they feel like they got screwed with cooperating on getting the "swamp ghost" shipped out of there make this all pretty difficult.  I have an Australian diver on the island and I have sent him out to dive twice where they took him to the wrong location and waste his time because they don't trust him either.  Someone in PNG even posted this(attached) on Facebook because they were worried I was going to go there myself...  I am still working on getting more pictures...
"American Knowmad"
KF7FEV
Part107
Private Pilot

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2023, 06:29:51 AM »

A quick question, if this a "swamp ghost" which I assume means it is in a swamp, is there a plausible explanation for how AE could have sent the radio messages heard by Betty ( and others) which requires engines running, propellers turning, dynamo and radio equipment to be dry. 

Christian Stock

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2023, 07:23:33 AM »

A quick question, if this a "swamp ghost" which I assume means it is in a swamp, is there a plausible explanation for how AE could have sent the radio messages heard by Betty ( and others) which requires engines running, propellers turning, dynamo and radio equipment to be dry.

Matt, the Swamp Ghost is a B-17 that was found in PNG and extracted, in fairly good condition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Ghost
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org