Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gordon Object etc.  (Read 3392 times)

Don Yee

• TIGHAR member
Gordon Object etc.
« on: September 04, 2021, 06:46:09 PM »

Just finished reading the excellent Tiger Tracks and was curious about the section on the Gordon Object. In that section it states that Keith Gordon sent images of an object he photographed but didn't collect that could be a coral encrusted piece of stringer.

Why didn't Keith collect it? I know hindsight is 20/20, but it seems odd that it was not collected. I'm surprised folks don't collect anything that could may possible be related to Earhart during expeditions. Was there something preventing him from doing so?

Also, has anyone does research to examine the rate of coral encrusting in case any aluminum is found? Seems like this would be a relatively straight forward experiment (although perhaps time consuming).

Thanks.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Gordon Object etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 10:04:45 AM »

Expedition members are told not to collect objects of interest but to carefully note their location and mark them so they can be re-located and collected under archaeological protocols.  Keith should have buoyed the spot and reported the find to the expedition's archaeologist.

Generally speaking, coral doesn't like aluminum. The rate of coral encrustation on aluminum depends on a number of factors including depth, but it's slow.  I'm not aware of any studies. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org