Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoe Parts  (Read 35618 times)

J West

• TIGHAR member
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
Re: Shoe Parts
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »

Here's a "Movement of Ship" document that I prepared a while ago from the USS Bushnell's Muster Rolls and other ship's documents.
It might fill in a little from that four part Bushnel 'Survey Report'. Might be some minor discrepancies.
I have most of the source docs downloaded, but on Fold3 most are individual pdf pages, rudimentarily labeled with a page number. So finding particular dates or events is a PITA, but by zeroing into a page range, then opening them, I can slowly find a given date.

My Bushnell 1939 Survey cruise chronology (An rtf file, I'll see if I can convert it to a jpg for easier viewing. Learning to reduce jpg files for upload here too, the ones I put above were pretty big files. Maybe the 'forum' template/process could be made to handle some conversions on the fly?):
John
TIGHAR #5152R

J West

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »

Here are the US Bushnell Muster Roll, coversheet, and Crew Recapitulation sheet document pages for 31 December 1939. There are also "Change Sheets" that I did not convert, mostly rank/rate changes for crew and such, want them just ask.
Converted to manageable jpg files, original Fold3 pdfs on request.

Per the forum 4 page upload limit this will take a few posts (and Captcha hoops, aarrgg).

John
TIGHAR #5152R

J West

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »

USS Bushnell Muster Roll docs cont. .
All crew names, service numbers, ratings, dates of enlistments (this can be misleading as crew often re-enlisted while on tour and then their date becomes the re- one. So you might find a Chief listed with a few months service  :] ):
John
TIGHAR #5152R

J West

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »

This will complete the list of the USS Bushnell crew on 31 December 1939.
I think I have the previous quarter's Roll, 30 September 1939, with the Change Sheets, but would have to do all the finding and converting of its' pages.
John
TIGHAR #5152R

J West

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »

Here's my (crude) USS Bushnell "1939 Movement of Ship" doc in pdf form. I made some minor spelling, symbol, and bolding changes.
John
TIGHAR #5152R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2018, 02:10:09 AM »

Maybe the 'forum' template/process could be made to handle some conversions on the fly? ):

Yes, if someone with the proper programming skills wanted to write a plugin for Simple Machine Forums, it "could" be done.

I worked on vastly simpler scripting projects for myself.

Nothing in my experience of writing code makes me want to to volunteer to add this wrinkle to the Forum.   :-X

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »

great research work, I would have assumed with all the documentation of the other ships logs that have been obtained the bushnell and even the New Zealand survey would have been obtained. I know we have some information on them but apparently not all.

J West

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

Maybe the 'forum' template/process could be made to handle some conversions on the fly? ):

Yes, if someone with the proper programming skills wanted to write a plugin for Simple Machine Forums, it "could" be done.

I worked on vastly simpler scripting projects for myself.

Nothing in my experience of writing code makes me want to to volunteer to add this wrinkle to the Forum.   :-X

Hi Martin, I know little about 'Forum App Software', was just thinking that maybe the underlying "TIGHAR" forum software, probably a 'package' from a third-party developer (very few 'forums' write their own) might have some currently unused options that could be activated by the TIGHAR admins. Probably not available, or too costly.

great research work, I would have assumed with all the documentation of the other ships logs that have been obtained the bushnell and even the New Zealand survey would have been obtained. I know we have some information on them but apparently not all.

Hi Kevin, I haven't found any USS Bushnell Decklogs or the like yet. The best overall was the 4 Part Survey Report previously posted on TIGHAR (and linked above).
Ric commented on obtaining them from the official Navy source, but that's in the DC area and needs an actual visit, IIRC. I found some things 'Bushnell' on Ancestrys' Fold3 section, but no detailed Decklogs or other reports have shown up yet.

I have made a couple of forays into Ancestry looking for any info on the Bushnell's assistant hydrologist, Mr. Witt (Witt, Edward J.  Asst Hydro Eng.), but nothing yet using a few different search parameters. Thought he might be a higher probability pick, since he is known to have a wife aboard.
But having no other (search) clues such as an address or employer it's tough. Basically all we know about him is his name, occupation (hydologist or surveyor), and a wife; can guess at an age for the purpose of checking Census forms and such, but that's pretty loose.

Thought that using his wife's name would help narrow it down from about 250K "EJWitt refs. But when I looked up the 'Nonenlisted passenger list' for a Bushnell side voyage which she was embarked on, they used the 'convention of the day' (male chauvinist... ruh-oh..) and simply listed her as "Mrs. Edward J Witt". Her first name would really help with an Ancestry search.

I'm posting the Bushnell Muster page below that lists her, and some of the others on that excursion.

John
TIGHAR #5152R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2018, 06:30:55 AM »

Hi Martin, I know little about 'Forum App Software', was just thinking that maybe the underlying "TIGHAR" forum software, probably a 'package' from a third-party developer (very few 'forums' write their own) might have some currently unused options that could be activated by the TIGHAR admins. Probably not available, or too costly.

I've answered in "Extraneous Exchanges" because my answer has nothing to do with "Shoe Parts."   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org