Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Research needed - August-September 1936  (Read 48808 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Research needed - August-September 1936
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 03:43:17 PM »

Terrible thing to be unhinged, eh, Andrew?

I know, my bad. I will go back to my sock drawer now.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 03:47:36 PM »

Indeed...

Daniel R. Brown

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 04:47:15 PM »

I don't see any hatch cover at all in the view from aft (TIGHAR Research Bulletin 11/1/11). This is an interesting series of photos in the Purdue collection because it's obviously the same girls (faces, clothes, hair, etc.) in each of the different views, and AE wears the same plaid shirt.

Dan Brown, #2408

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 05:19:09 PM »

I don't see any hatch cover at all in the view from aft (TIGHAR Research Bulletin 11/1/11). This is an interesting series of photos in the Purdue collection because it's obviously the same girls (faces, clothes, hair, etc.) in each of the different views, and AE wears the same plaid shirt.

Wow!  That is strange.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »

The hatch might have been "in the shop" on that day getting the hinges moved.  Are there maintenance records that survive from Purdue airport?

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 05:51:33 PM »

I believe the many times the Electra was featured in photo shoots, before the hatch was rotated 180 degrees, was that they merely drove the pin out of the hinge and removed the hatch....just better photos and posing positions without it.
I believe the hinge halves are still above the Port window in these Purdue students/Amelia poses.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:55:04 PM by Jerry Germann »

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 05:52:02 PM »

In this picture at Purdue the hatch still opens outward, it's easy to see how the hatch makes it difficult to climb in/out using the wing

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/epurdue/id/350/rec/17
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:11:04 PM by Matt Revington »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2016, 07:54:56 PM »

I believe the many times the Electra was featured in photo shoots, before the hatch was rotated 180 degrees, was that they merely drove the pin out of the hinge and removed the hatch....just better photos and posing positions without it.
I believe the hinge halves are still above the Port window in these Purdue students/Amelia poses.

Jerry, the photo you showed a detail from was taken while the plane was still under construction.  You may be right that the hatch was removed for the Purdue photo shoot but I'm not aware of any other occasion when that was done.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2016, 08:05:51 PM »

In this picture at Purdue the hatch still opens outward, it's easy to see how the hatch makes it difficult to climb in/out using the wing

That photo was taken at Purdue so the hatch still opened outward, at least when she arrived at Purdue in September.  Matt may be right.  The hatch may be missing in the other Purdue photos because it was in the shop having the hinges changed.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2016, 08:17:56 PM »

Attachment; I believe this image and several others of Earhart with members of the Purdue football team, may be around the same time frame involving photo shoots with the female Purdue students, ( although different clothing is worn by Earhart and the plane is in a hanger)... post Bendix race. I am still looking for a dated photo that shows a new piece above the window,( Sept-Oct 1936), whereby the hatch gasket would attach.( unless the hinge half above the port window was merely covered with gasket material).....I can't tell, but the gasket shows some signs of unevenness along the length but are probably just impressions left by the rivets on the hatch.
It doesn't seem mechanically correct to have left the hinge piece in place....am looking for better photos, such as this one and dated just after the hatch change.
http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/earhart/id/811/rec/1012
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:24:51 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2016, 08:58:11 PM »

Jerry, the photo you showed a detail from was taken while the plane was still under construction.  You may be right that the hatch was removed for the Purdue photo shoot but I'm not aware of any other occasion when that was done.

The hatch in my opinion would be a very easy removal.....pull the rod pin out and off it comes...five minutes.
However; I haven't come across a post hatch rotation image, where the hatch is removed.....or one where the hatch is removed pre Bendix race as well. As you mention it may be telling.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:17:52 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »

That photo was taken at Purdue so the hatch still opened outward, at least when she arrived at Purdue in September.  Matt may be right.  The hatch may be missing in the other Purdue photos because it was in the shop having the hinges changed.
A new hinge half strip would have to be attached to the center line, ...I don't know that the hatch would need any modifications, rotate 180 degrees and attach at new center-line hinge half strip via hinge rod,.... construct new port window header piece to accommodate the latches to secure.
Research on potential latch design changes may give clues,to verify if any modification was done to the hatch, or other details may indicate that at some point an entire new hatch was created.....small details like rivet positions, latches, inner liner, may help determine that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:25:55 AM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2016, 10:21:51 PM »

I found this image, in which it appears that the hinge is on the starboard side ( unless it is a reverse image)...hatch looks to have latches at the top and is open a bit at the centerline. Is this the Electra or another plane?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2016, 09:01:59 AM »

I found this image, in which it appears that the hinge is on the starboard side ( unless it is a reverse image)...hatch looks to have latches at the top and is open a bit at the centerline. Is this the Electra or another plane?

The photo is reversed.  It's one of the publicity shots from July 21, 1936.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »

just to make sure everyone understands the change in how the hatch worked, and how it was modified, I found these images which show the before (opening from the left to the left as looking aircraft forward) and after (opening to the right from the right as looking aircraft forward) configurations of the hatch.

These are screen shots snipped out of this Elgen Long / Nauticos crashed and sank video on YouTube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPrBgNXpV7w

Hatch to the left with AE at time 5:28 minutes
Hatch to the right at 18:28
Hatch to the right at 28;48

It is not clear when or where these movies of the Electra were taken.

Andrew
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org