Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rivet lines on the patch  (Read 25815 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Rivet lines on the patch
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 10:01:34 PM »

Has there been any progress that can be reported with regards to this new photo?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 07:02:01 AM »

Has there been any progress that can be reported with regards to this new photo?

If there had been new information to report, positive or negative, I would have reported it. We're working the problem as best we can.  I share your impatience but agitating about it will not make anything happen more quickly.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »

Look forward to the reveal....it may be all that is needed. As far as the rivet spacing on the lower portion of 2-2-V-1, I have always been intrigued by the irregular spacing between two of the larger diameter holes, and I believe some in their opinion suggested that, the spacing may be indicative of field repair work.
Looking at the Lockheed Electra, I came across similar rivet patterns,...the stagger appears in the inner row,...seems to match 2-2-V-1 with the exception that the double row runs vertical instead of horizontal. This pattern is on both Port and starboard side. I have been searching for the reason why the rivets in those areas are spaced as they are, but haven't discovered the answer thus far.( Other than a  horizontal stringer is positioned there and a rivet placed equal distances from the preceding one wouldn't fall in the center of the stringer, rather near the edge).

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/earhart/id/524/rec/910

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:46:00 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
Re: Revisiting the Patch and rear panel situation
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 11:49:36 AM »

Please see the attached photo which is from a prior TIGHAR Newsletter I think.

That's actually a photo of the Harney model. What you're seeing is the edge of a hinged section he built into fuselage the so that he could show the interior.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 06:34:18 AM »

Having completed his forensic imaging study of Earhart's height, Jeff Glickman is returning to his evaluation of 2-2-V-1.  The hoped-for acquisition of new imagery has not materialized and he has decided to proceed with what we have.  We'll let the chips fall where they may but Jeff will, of course, reserve the right to update his evaluation should new information come to light.  How soon his report on 2-2-V-1 will be ready will depend upon his workload.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 11:40:35 AM »

That's unfortunate. More data is always a good thing, or so the scientists like to say.

Since it didn't pan out, can you release any information on the hoped-for imagery and what it might have indicated?

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »

Since it didn't pan out, can you release any information on the hoped-for imagery and what it might have indicated?

Not without jeopardizing our chances of eventually getting the imagery.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 08:53:12 AM »

So there is still hope? That's always a good thing, if this image has the potential to be as significant as you've indicated.

LTM,

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org