Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refueling over Midway Island  (Read 46205 times)

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
Re: Refueling over Midway Island
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 05:51:55 PM »

I agree, mostly. Let's go to dinner!
Bob S.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 06:22:54 PM »

I do repeat it is absolutely nuts to snake the hose inside the Electra.

Agreed.

It seems to me that I've seen pictures of one biplane refueling another, and that may well have been the method used.  Ah, the photo is in this article, "First Air-to-Air Refueling," June 27, 1923.

I imagine that the open cockpit helped in the process and in allowing a quick disconnect, if needed.

Just in case of a tight hose for whatever reason you have to be able to disconnect in a hurry preferably automatically.  Think drogue and probe or simply a slip fit.

Yes.  The drogue-and-probe and boom-and-receptacle methods seem to have come well after WW II.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Lauren Palmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 10:18:37 AM »

"...Brownie on a string?"?  I loved the "under the big dubbya" but don't get the new movie quote -- I've been curious a while now! -- Lauren

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »

I believe that is an oblique reference to the Niku VIII video team's Hail Mary pass on the last day of the expedition. Jeff, as always, is being charitable.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 11:57:06 AM »

"...Brownie on a string?"?  I loved the "under the big dubbya" but don't get the new movie quote -- I've been curious a while now! -- Lauren

No disrespect was intended, 'tis but a tongue-in-cheek nod to the desperate but innovative attempts made to capture whatever images might have been captured by whatever means was available when the ROV relegated itself to the anchor locker...

And as usual, I couldn't resist a bit of conjecture as to Earhart's possible mirth were she able to observe these things we do in her honor, as in "I really appreciate the spirit, guys, but are you SERIOUS???".  I beg forgiveness of any judgment that may be sensed in that outburst and can only claim that I am generally miserable at channeling Earhart very well, so take it as one will...

No actual antique cameras were submerged or damaged by this effort.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Lauren Palmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »

Aha, very good!
I was running every old movie I'd ever seen through my pointy little mind........ I can be very slow!
 :D Lauren

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2015, 07:06:45 AM »

If I recall from past reading, the concern by the Navy was that Amelia was not sufficiently skilled as a pilot and would foul the fuel hoses.  In other words, she would not be able to hold formation.

Formation flying requires excellent control touch, discipline and division of attention, all of which are taught in flight school. 

Even after years of  flying, it still made me nervous when flying in close proximity to another aircraft. You never knew what the other pilot might do or not do. :o

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2015, 07:42:16 AM »

That's a big part of it, Bill, but I think the Navy's main concern was that Amelia would eat a refueling hose in the middle of things, explode in a giant fireball, and THEY would get the blame.

It's alllllll about public perception, and money, in the end.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org