Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hail Mary  (Read 28577 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Hail Mary
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 09:04:50 PM »

Minor quibble - what is with the photos that are being posted? Every ... single ... one is in segments or vertical slices. I can't download anything to my computer to examine it in detail.

That's annoying and I can think of no valid reason for TIGHAR doing so.

LTM
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »

I noticed that too.  It may have to do with the way it was uploaded - in chunks. So each individual piece is a smaller file size - rather than having one large file image.  Just a guess.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 09:50:33 PM »

It has to do with the screen resolution on your computer being different than the senders upload, I think. Try saving the pic ( right click) without   left clicking the picture first in your view.
Bob S.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 07:47:24 AM »

I'm having the same issue with downloading the expedition pictures.  Right-click and save on an un-expanded image doesn't work either.  I wonder if it's some kind of copyright protection.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:49:30 AM by Bill Mangus »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 08:20:35 AM »

I'm having the same issue with downloading the expedition pictures.  Right-click and save on an un-expanded image doesn't work either.  I wonder if it's some kind of copyright protection.

Would seem so.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »

The first possibility is that they came that way.

A second is that it is meant to make the page load faster.

"Why Slice?  How and Why to Slice Web Images" is just one of many articles that our friend, Google, turns up.

I can view the images as a whole on my computer by clicking on them.

If I felt the need, I could capture what I see on the screen by pressing the "PrtScn" button on my keyboard, and then editing the screen capture in any number of free programs that I use for such purposes.  (I use a PC, FWIW; Mac and Linux users have their own techniques available to them, I'm sure.)

I don't feel the need to attribute any dark motives to Pat Thrasher or to TIGHAR.  The pictures are quite lovely, and they help to tell the story of the expedition.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 09:32:55 AM »

Not attributing any dark motives to anyone.  I mention copyright only because of what Pat posted when Rob Barrel's drone photograph was used the first time:

"The photo at the head of this page is a drone view of Nai'a moored off Nikumaroro, north of Norwich City. Photo © Rob Barrel. Do not duplicate."

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »

Not attributing any dark motives to anyone.  I mention copyright only because of what Pat posted when Rob Barrel's drone photograph was used the first time:

"The photo at the head of this page is a drone view of Nai'a moored off Nikumaroro, north of Norwich City. Photo © Rob Barrel. Do not duplicate."

At the bottom of every page in this Forum, you will see the following: "Copyright 2015 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved."

There are similar assertions of copyright in the Ameliapedia and on many other pages on the website, such as the dailies.

That TIGHAR is interested in preserving its rights to the works it has produced is not news nor is it a new policy.

Since the photos can be so simply reconstructed simply by copying from the screen, I doubt very much that the slicing was intended as an assertion of copyright.

YMMV.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »

I noticed dx-world.net jumped on that photo almost immediately after the daily was posted.
http://www.dx-world.net/t31lp-nikumaroro-island-oc-043/

Bob

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »

As far as what the Hail Mary photos may - or may not - show, I am content to wait. This isn't my first TIGHAR rodeo and too much guessing and parsing and speculation makes my brain tired.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

JNev

• T5
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 02:30:06 PM »

I like the gentle fire in your avatar more every time I check in (to check on this thread, to stay on topic, of course).

I too am content to wait by such a fire until... Whatever.  There's peace in no worries.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 04:57:14 PM »

Initially I thought the vertical lines on the 'Hail Mary' picture were meant to represent ten yard lines on a football field to go along with the wobbly football graphic, but I guess not.
Steve G
#3911R

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »

So the date for the announcement that is forthcoming has been pushed back until tomorrow, by the redoubtable folks at Fiji Air. It's like many things in life. You hurry up. Then you wait.

Monty Fowler,
TIGHAR No. 2189 EC

JNev

• T5
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »

Are you really turning blue waiting for this one?

I really feel for the guys on this effort, not much fun, sounds like.

Course I've eaten crow before - not bad, about like owl.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:25:52 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »

Nothing is achieved without effort.
3971R

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org