Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)  (Read 260478 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 07:22:23 AM »

AH, yes, Carol Dow. Remember her time on this forum well. But ...

"Its red paint also makes sense, they said, because Earhart’s plane had red trim."

Oh? you learn something new every day, I suppose. I'll get a lot more interested if they do a metallurgical analysis of the aluminum and country-of-origin analysis of the paint.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR no. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:28:55 AM »

AH, yes, Carol Dow. Remember her time on this forum well. But ...

It was eleven years ago ... seems like just yesterday!
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »

If that part is truly unique to the Electra's Goodyear Airwheel configuration, I can understand some excitement - who wouldn't feel that, it would have to feel like an odd find in such a place.

That said, a couple of things haul it back in -

- I believe the Airwheel was far more prevalent than believed in this article - it was a very common tire/wheel type among the Lockheeds.

- I agree with Gillespie and Long on various contrary points (imagine that distribution of agreement), including I can't see how they would have had the fuel to make an "on the line" call, then break off and fly to the Marshalls.

'Red paint' is a good start, though... I've got some stuff in my shed with old red paint on it, wish I'd of thought of it before.

I know, that's a bit low... sorry.  Glad they're looking anyway.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »

What I haven't seen are photos of NR16020 pointing out the pieces they think they have. 
The Electra did not have an auxiliary power unit but I think it did have a place to plug in an external electrical power source for what we used to call a "cart start."  I take it that they're claiming that they have the cover for that plug-in port.  Where was that port/cover on the airplane?  We should be able to see it in a picture.  Should it have red paint (actually the paint was orange) on one end of it? 

This is basic stuff.  Show me the photos.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:19:45 AM »

So Atasca didn't hear her right and instead AE said "we are on the line 296-116" (or something far different from 337-157) and "we have plenty of fuel" not "fuel running low".... so we are going to fly another 800+ miles?   Riiiiiight! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »

I'm embarrassed for them. But pleased that this sort of amateur hour behavior stands in stark contrast to practices at TIGHAR. There's a big difference between finding an artifact that could plausibly be from Earhart's Electra and subjecting it to professional scrutiny over 20 odd years... and finding an artifact that could not plausibly be from Earhart's Electra and immediately declaring it to be authentic.

As pointed out, these folks haven't even done the most basic testing.
"Credibility is Everything"

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »

Well, it has been said that imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »

... But pleased that this sort of amateur hour behavior stands in stark contrast to practices at TIGHAR.

This will be the best part. This group will not be excoriated and declared the anti-Christ by The Earhart Conspiracy Theory Industrial Complex. There won't be any multi-page dissections on the Warbird Information Exchange. There won't be other TECTIC groups publicly saying, Well, yes, but what about that???

There will only be silence.

Because at the end of the day, deep down, I think they really know they have exactly that.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »

What I haven't seen are photos of NR16020 pointing out the pieces they think they have. 
The Electra did not have an auxiliary power unit but I think it did have a place to plug in an external electrical power source for what we used to call a "cart start."  I take it that they're claiming that they have the cover for that plug-in port.  Where was that port/cover on the airplane?  We should be able to see it in a picture.  Should it have red paint (actually the paint was orange) on one end of it? 

This is basic stuff.  Show me the photos.

That is a great way to put all of that.  No matter how good we are, or think we are, we're all living in glass houses in this effort.  Challenge of course, but doing so as is dispassionately and objectively stated here is the right model to remember in my view. 

What is missing from this release is exactly what has been outlined here - where are the correlating data?  The metal on the wheel assembly vs. what was found in pictures - pictures of the item in situ on Earhart's bird (like we struggle to find better examples of for the 'patch') if possible, etc.

The paint was orange on Earhart's bird, for sure - unless there was some panel or dust cover that was red for some reason this doesn't seem like much of a tie.  Some are painted red on the inside to show better when open, but don't know about the L10.  The pix wouldn't lie.

ADDED:

I was scratching my head a bit about the APU - none on the Electra.  The idea has to relate to what Ric pointed out - the meaning probably is that of a battery cart plug somewhere.  Haven't noticed it before - wish these folks would post a photo.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:15:58 PM by Jeffrey Neville »

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »

... But pleased that this sort of amateur hour behavior stands in stark contrast to practices at TIGHAR.

This will be the best part. This group will not be excoriated and declared the anti-Christ by The Earhart Conspiracy Theory Industrial Complex. There won't be any multi-page dissections on the Warbird Information Exchange. There won't be other TECTIC groups publicly saying, Well, yes, but what about that???

There will only be silence.

Because at the end of the day, deep down, I think they really know they have exactly that.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

LOL! Ain't it the truth! But you forgot some other charming aspects of their M.O. -- ad hominem attacks on TIGHAR leadership and consultants, circular reasoning et al... But you know, that's okay. If you wear the Badge of Integrity, you can stand up to the most withering storm of fair and unfair critique.

And from a coldly calculated P.R. perspective, every time one of these alternative theory types pops up, it's free publicity for TIGHAR. So, bring it on.
"Credibility is Everything"

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »

I'm not going to spend a lot of time searching out just the right photos but, from the Harney Drawings and this photo it looks to me like the external power plug receptacle was on the outboard side of the left engine nacelle and did not have a cover.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »

Good research and find, Ric - that didn't take long.

Lockheed kept it simple - I guess there wasn't a need for a cover where that is tucked into the side of the nacelle.

Now that you've pinpointed the place for the battery cart plug, maybe some others here can sleuth out a few more pictures of that detail on Earhart's or other Electras to see if any bear a cover, but it seems clear enough to me that there is 'no cover'.  We know there's 'no APU'.

I'm trying to think of what the sheet metal would be on the Airwheel - to no avail, so far.

It appears that our earnest friends who search the Marshalls may be mistaken about the potential their artifacts.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:26:36 PM by Jeffrey Neville »

JNev

• T5
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »

Here's another shot - from a Purdue archive photo of the Electra in Dakar Senegal - "no cover" -

And a second -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:25:44 PM by Jeffrey Neville »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »

You just have to wonder what these people are thinking of.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org