Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)  (Read 260089 times)

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
Re: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »

Amazing;   Are they the same size as the ones Mr Spink discovered, and aluminum I presume?

I think the hole in Spinks' is bigger.  Ours are still en route from Fiji.  When they get here I'll put up a photo with a scale.  They do seem to be aluminum.

Have the disc shaped artifacts arrived from Fiji?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »

Have the disc shaped artifacts arrived from Fiji?

Yes.  We have labeled them 2-10-V-1 and 2-10-V-2.  Photos with scale below.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »

They remind me of drip pan inserts for the burners of a gas stove, re-purposed as perhaps reflectors for fishermen to use at night with lanterns.

Notice how the drip pans are listed as being 7-1/2 inches in diameter!  :D
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2015, 04:30:34 PM »

Or rat shields for mooring ropes!
Bob S.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »

A bit of research about gas lanterns and their reflectors, seem to indicate that many are brass in construction, however; I have found a few lesser quality models , or knockoffs, that have aluminum reflectors. Below is one example of a hand held lantern,..note the reflector....Greg's suggestion that what Mr Spink found and what the last Niku trip discovered, that being, they may be reflectors of some type, seems a good suggestion. As for the holes in the outer edges of the Spink artifact , ....it is my thought that possibly some sort of shield may have been attached, possibly due to the hazards involved in handling such an instrument. It is easy to see how this reflector could become detached from the parent object, and leaving none of that to find, if it came from one similar to the one below. There seems to be some flexibility in and around the inner hole, to allow cycling, to create some of the creases and damage noted on all three artifacts, as well as signs of solder or brazing work to hold the object to another piece. 

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »

Aluminum version below;

One fellows observation on the use of aluminum;

There are scores of other much less common names available.  Pictured on the left is an example of a fairly hard to find carbide that is made of aluminum called the Lumi-Lamp.  These aluminum lamps, unless unfired or unused, are usually in rough condition because of the tendency to corrode from the effects of the carbide gas, moisture, and the corrosive nature of the mixture and the gas that they produced when the water was added to the carbide to generate the acetylene gas that was then lit to produce the light.  The basic idea was right, looking for a material that was strong, light,  and would not rust, but I suppose they did not count on the nature of the gas that was going to be created, and obviously the choice of material was not studied enough.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »

Is the dust cover molded over the hub in the way it appears in these photos?

I'm no A&P, and I don't play one in my dreams, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I think it's possible that what you are calling a "dust cover" is actually the brake drum on the inside of the wheel. 

What are the dimensions for the diameter and thickness of the brake drum(edit: or brake disk housing) on AE's plane?
It's for a 3D cad model
3971R

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:30:14 PM by Greg Daspit »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »

What are the dimensions for the diameter and thickness of the brake drum(edit: or brake disk housing) on AE's plane?

I'm afraid that I don't know.

I took the picture just before or perhaps even during the Wheel of Fortune expedition.

I was just trying to get a picture of the hub.  The thought of holding up a scale and photographing from a good
angle never crossed my mind.

The Harney Drawings are available on disk from the TIGHAR store.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2015, 06:12:08 PM »

I have the engineering drawings for the Model 10.  I'll see what I can find.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2015, 08:02:27 AM »

Nothing in the engineering drawing, probably because the brakes were not a Lockheed part.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »

How about depictions in the Goodyear Airwheel manual (Lockheed publication EE1135)?  It appears TIGHAR had access to that publication by a couple of pictures appearing in the 'Wheel of Fortune' bulletin, courtesy of "Chesapeake Airways, Inc.".  Might "Chesapeake" help with a look at that manual again?
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »

How about depictions in the Goodyear Airwheel manual (Lockheed publication EE1135)?  It appears TIGHAR had access to that publication by a couple of pictures appearing in the 'Wheel of Fortune' bulletin, courtesy of "Chesapeake Airways, Inc.".  Might "Chesapeake" help with a look at that manual again?

In this post, the photo says that some part of the hub is 6".

I'm not sure which part of the hub has that dimension.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »

Thanks, Marty.

I'm at a loss too other than to guess that typically a cardinal dimension for a wheel like that would be the diameter of where the tire bead seats (smallest diameter of the 'spool', as it were)...

My thought was that if Chesapeake is still around and willing we might coax additional information out of that manual.  The depiction we have so far doesn't include the brake stack and pressure plate itself ('stator' assembly), only the rolling stock.  We certainly don't see anything resembling the 'dust cover' (nor do I recall seeing one on the L10's I have seen personally, for what that's worth (pretty weak)).
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:05:50 PM by JNev »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2015, 12:55:45 PM »

Chesapeake Airways, Inc. is basically an aviation junkyard in Salisbury, MD.  We were there in 2002 looking at wheels. They had a Goodyear Airwheel manual.  I took a photo of the only page that seemed useful.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2016, 09:37:22 AM »

I haven't seen anything new from this group in more than a year, other than, "We think we're right." As TIGHAR has learned, that's not enough when dealing with this mystery.

If they're doing testing or analysis or something on these bits they found, I wish they'd tell people. Maybe then we can all go home.  ;D

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org