Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-2-V-1 - Answering Critical Review  (Read 183185 times)

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
Re: 2-2-V-1 - Answering Critical Review
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 07:24:02 PM »

Im sad to admit that certain circumstances have left me doing my impersonation of decapitated poultry the past few days and I hadnt had much time to sit down and read any of the news articles until yesterday and today. 
Some of the comments are educated and well thought out, others are blatantly hostile (Mad that they didnt get to it first, maybe?) and some are just downright laughable.  Lots of arm chair experts coming out of the woodwork to weigh in.  Interesting enough is the people who are asking questions or starting discussions that are covered in this forum, in great detail.  If they want to be so vocal about it, I second Nathan's question:  Why dont they come here and have an intelligent discussion rather than spouting off nonsense and assumptions?

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 05:32:59 AM »

Im sad to admit that certain circumstances have left me doing my impersonation of decapitated poultry the past few days and I hadnt had much time to sit down and read any of the news articles until yesterday and today. 
Some of the comments are educated and well thought out, others are blatantly hostile (Mad that they didnt get to it first, maybe?) and some are just downright laughable.  Lots of arm chair experts coming out of the woodwork to weigh in.  Interesting enough is the people who are asking questions or starting discussions that are covered in this forum, in great detail.  If they want to be so vocal about it, I second Nathan's question:  Why dont they come here and have an intelligent discussion rather than spouting off nonsense and assumptions?
Excellent points, Krystal.
A good summary of critiques by the crashed-and-sank group appeared in the Huffington Post yesterday.  Someone I know brought this to my attention as a good description of the flaws in TIGHAR's hypothesis.  Much in the article misstates stated positions, and other parts are just misinformed.  Some parts claim more than TIGHAR has claimed, to set up the 'straw man'. It might be a good exercise to analyze the article sentence by sentence, in a reasoned way, perhaps in a new thread if response is adequate.

Of course, any such analysis could begin by saying that Nikumaroro has not been 'proven' as the resting place of AE and that this has not been claimed.

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078ER

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 07:04:47 AM »

Excellent points, Krystal.
A good summary of critiques by the crashed-and-sank group appeared in the Huffington Post yesterday.  Someone I know brought this to my attention as a good description of the flaws in TIGHAR's hypothesis.  Much in the article misstates stated positions, and other parts are just misinformed.  Some parts claim more than TIGHAR has claimed, to set up the 'straw man'. It might be a good exercise to analyze the article sentence by sentence, in a reasoned way, perhaps in a new thread if response is adequate.

Of course, any such analysis could begin by saying that Nikumaroro has not been 'proven' as the resting place of AE and that this has not been claimed.

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078ER

Well said, Joe.

I have been tempted to address some of those things but find it wearying to try to discuss things with people who are determined all too often to see it only one way.

Your closing sentence is an excellent start.  It is tiring to see our 'claims' constantly attacked as 'false' or 'unfounded', when what we are continuing to do is 'explore'. 
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 07:18:41 AM »

I gave Elgen that template in 1992. If he has exactly matched it to a PBY he has never told me.  If he has a detailed report that supports his claim he needs to produce it before he makes the assertion.  That’s the standard we follow.  To be credible, that’s the standard he must follow. 

One of the things I like about TIGHAR is we openly and aboveboard share everything. Many (in fact the majority) of TIGHAR's detractors do not. The overwhelming attitude appears to be, "We're right because we know we're right, you're just going to have to trust us, and if you don't agree with us, well, you're just too stupid to understand why we're right."

TIGHAR has now made a reasoned. point-by-point rebuttal of Long's claim. Unfortunately, things like the truth and facts seldom slow TECTIC down.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

P.S. - This reminds me of that moment in the OJ Simpson trial: "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit!" Elgen Long's glove doesn't fit. Over to you, TIGHAR!
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:31:09 AM by Monty Fowler »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 08:38:53 AM »

What we need is a really good picture of the 'patch' on the airplane that shows details, once and for all.

That has always been the case and remains the case.  Until then it will always be a matter of how much confidence we have by the best studies we can apply.  We can determine the alternate possibilities with some reason, which we've done.  No paint (and I don't buy that the surf and sand would completely scour all traces but leave the font tracings, etc.) and other fingerprints tell us much about where it would and would not logically have come from.

Rivet patterns would be damning or upholding, if they truly matched anything we could find.  Not matching, we're left looking the 'wild card', which is where we've been for a while. 

That drives us to reviewing things like the Miami patch as a possibility - or probability, as one may choose to see it - and into the depths of trying to understand what happened to make that occur.  That leads to all the exploratory conjecture that we get into as we try to make sense of this or that detail and how it might have fit. 

So, there I go again, off into 'dreamland' as some see it - no, it's not the preferred stuff of the hands-on, right-now hardheaded A&P who deals in black and white / airworthy or not realm - which I know well and have lived by in a long career, but of one now trying to get into the mindset of the guy who was chosen by Earhart to accompany her on that domestic leg to do her bidding to get the ship fit to her terms.  I suppose that does throw me into the Gary LaPook world of 'channeling Noonan', as I've seen it (sorry Gary, wherever you are - but here I do the same, it seems) - now I seem to have dabbled with channeling Bo McNeeley.  What a lout I am, eh?  The alternative is to shrug one's shoulders and say 'let the barn build itself'.  Bah, I'd rather try to build, just in case we find a horse.

If it came from that wing panel on the PBY that is inboard of "panel splice" at wing station 11 (which appears to be the case) then we're dealing with .045" parent skin, per the manual.  But, if the shoe fits, given that Ric openly shared a template of 2-2-V-1 with Elgen Long, then where are the details in return?  Ric's raised a very fair point on that, and I know that Ric and Mr. Long have had a good relationship - it seems incongruous that we'd have this hint of 'here 'tis' with no real substantiation from the man himself.  So, Mr. Long, if you did that, people here who care about the search have put a fair bit of effort in - so if you know something we don't, then please, by all means... but not this shadowy 'byte', please - surely was not you who'd do that?

As to the PBY, we know 2-2-V-1 is an .032" T (thickness) component; what was an .032" T panel doing placed where there was .045" T skin?  If we have located the wrong station and the skin is not .045", I welcome the correction - but I just looked at what Bill Mangus pointed out and have come to the same conclusion as he.  So if 2-2-V-1 is a patch for that area on a PBY, it should have been .045"; if it is an .030" skin as shown outboard, then one greater gage is expected - so again, if the assumption on thickness is in error - AND if the shoe truly fits, then by all means, please share the details - we hunger for truth and labor for it, this would help. 

There is another problem with the PBY.  The PBY manual also points (table 2-7) out that minimum fastener size in .032" T skins is 1/8" - a full size larger than the bulk of the rivet holes we see in 2-2-V-1; that same table denotes a pitch of 3/4" - which does not match the 1" pitch we see on 2-2-V-1 for the 3/32" rivets.

Conversely, minimum rivet sizes for .045" T skins on the PBY per that same table would be 5/32", at a pitch of 13/16", just in case our placement of that skin is correct.  This would raise another challenge for the proponent(s) of a PBY fit.

But if 2-2-V-1 despite all these things truly matches the PBY fastener pattern (it does not because there is no staggered double row, for one...), then it is a complete bastard fit for some reason, but if it happens to match - again, please show the details. 

TIGHAR is criticized for the yellow tape, etc. that was put there to help scale and align things, etc. - but it certainly was NOT to draw a false case.  It is so hard to know just what to do when working in the abstract that others may see - and so far, 2-2-V-1 is nothing if not abstract.  The crux of that criticism seems to be "it ain't standard Electra stuff so it ain't Earhart's stuff, an' all that tape stuff don't help".  It is fairly clear that 2-2-V-1 is, whatever it may be, likely a bastard altogether - and THAT is THE POINT - and those who tried to show the abstract fitment labored hard to give us scale and more understanding of how the thing did align, as best can be reconstructed to the Electra parent frame.  No, it isn't standard - and I wouldn't expect it to be, to cover a large window that the original designer never envisioned.

So, with 3/32" fasteners at 1" pitch, it does not appear to be a logical bastard child of a PBY, nor the B-17, nor anything I could find on a B-24.  No, it is also not a clear fit to anything STOCK on an Electra - EXCEPT that it just happens to be the right 'envelope' size for that oddball window in Earhart's ship, happens to have fastener sizes and pitch that are logical to a bird of that weight and build in that era, and I saw nothing on any other type - including having now studied the C-87 as reasonably as I can, short of climbing all over one.  The C-87 was, I thought, a very good idea but I found no smoldering cigar, let alone a smoking gun.  Should another find more, hats off.

Yes, problems remain - of course there are still fair challenges to 2-2-V-1; but more light is on it now than before, and the alternatives are still not emerging so strongly.  I would welcome more open challenge instead of article-comment snippets and back-channel emails.  I have tired of trying to reason with such commenters offline and find them for the most part single-minded in denying any notion TIGHAR may have, including most probably where we might report the restrooms to be located at the AF Museum...

So if one would put up a PBY case as an alternate or a barnburner, then by all means - give us the details; if one won't do that, one simply isn't going to go far in this search with such limited thinking.

Bah.  'Tis a lovely overcast day here, nice a cool.  I think I'll now go move a piano for fun.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »

I'm headed down to the Military Aviation Museum - http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/index.html - in Virginia Beach tomorrow to take pictures and measurements of the top right wing of their PBY.  I'll send pictures and measurements off to TIGHAR HQ on Monday.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »

What we need is a really good picture of the 'patch' on the airplane that shows details, once and for all.

Somebody make a mylar template of the thing and slap it on the side of an airplane!

Ron Lyons

• T1
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »

I'm headed down to the Military Aviation Museum - http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/index.html - in Virginia Beach tomorrow to take pictures and measurements of the top right wing of their PBY.  I'll send pictures and measurements off to TIGHAR HQ on Monday.

Thank you!  If the rivet pitch is truly 3/4" or 13/16" on the wing that should go well towards disqualifying the PBY. 

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »

Thumb's up, Bill. Another example of TIGHAR's Vast and Unpaid Research Department putting boots on the ground, while others just ... sit and type nonsense.

LTM, who has inserted a boot or two a time or two,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR no. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »

Well said, Joe.

I have been tempted to address some of those things but find it wearying to try to discuss things with people who are determined all too often to see it only one way.

Your closing sentence is an excellent start.  It is tiring to see our 'claims' constantly attacked as 'false' or 'unfounded', when what we are continuing to do is 'explore'.

I don't find it wearying but it is time-consuming, I well admit, Jeff.   Still, there are so many points in the Huff Post article ripe for discussion, it seems a shame not to try.  It's actually a very good summary of an opposing point of view.  I can't say I could take it all on in a day, or even a week, but give me and some others here a month of batting out the ideas, and I'd bet we could come up with a thread that respectfully and successfully responded to these arguments piece by piece.  My modest proposal is that this post be separated out to a new thread someplace that can address the article point by point for as long as it takes.  I know we can swat it away with cries of 'not willing to listen', 'they can't be persuaded', and that may all be true.  But articles such as this (and there are others) presume there is no logical rebuttal possible or reasonable, or that no one else is listening, and there is, and they are.  There might even be a few grains of truth to savor and lessons we can learn from in the article.  Care to give it a try by moving this post out of the airplane discussion? 

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078ER

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »

Articles that offer critics a platform are par for the course.  After the first round of "Oooh. Ahhh." publicity, editors tell their writers, "Don't bring me more TIGHAR worship.  We need something fresh.  Find me somebody, anybody, who says Gillespie is wrong."  It's easy to get sucked into debating the clowns they find.  Don't worry about it. This is the Amelia Earhart Mystery we're talking about.  We're not going to put controversy to bed even if/when we find the rest of the airplane. Articles like the Huffington Post piece don't lay a glove on us - they just keep the story alive.

We can prove that Elgen Long is wrong about the PBY six ways to Sunday and his bogus allegations will still get printed because editors need "balance."  Ditto for Gary LaPook and Colin Cobb's desperate attempts to get somebody to pay attention to their Stratus project by taking potshots at TIGHAR. 

Anyone here is, of course, free to fight with anyone they choose.  My advice is to pay attention to what the critics say in case they come up anything that is actually valid but don't get down in the gutter with them.  Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »

Articles that offer critics a platform are par for the course.  After the first round of "Oooh. Ahhh." publicity, editors tell their writers, "Don't bring me more TIGHAR worship.  We need something fresh.  Find me somebody, anybody, who says Gillespie is wrong."  It's easy to get sucked into debating the clowns they find.  Don't worry about it. This is the Amelia Earhart Mystery we're talking about.  We're not going to put controversy to bed even if/when we find the rest of the airplane. Articles like the Huffington Post piece don't lay a glove on us - they just keep the story alive.

We can prove that Elgen Long is wrong about the PBY six ways to Sunday and his bogus allegations will still get printed because editors need "balance."  Ditto for Gary LaPook and Colin Cobb's desperate attempts to get somebody to pay attention to their Stratus project by taking potshots at TIGHAR. 

Anyone here is, of course, free to fight with anyone they choose.  My advice is to pay attention to what the critics say in case they come up anything that is actually valid but don't get down in the gutter with them.  Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Ric,
OK then; fair enough.  It does seem rather unchivalrous a proposal when you put it that way.   Whether TIGHAR addresses the critics in 'one place' or in several over months or years, it has addressed them many times before.  The information that goes into a rebuttal is available to those who would seek it out, but I hasten to add for those who might seek that it's not all in one place in an article, at least not in the depth that's needed to understand the hypothesis as it's been elaborated.   Once sought and found, the mystery isn't 'solved.'  One still needs to interpret and arrive at an opinion, and misinformation is abundant along the way during that process.   But it's a process that can't be forced, so I will back away from that attempt.

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078ER 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:03:43 PM by Joe Cerniglia »

Nathan Leaf

• T1
  • #4538R
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »

Yes, problems remain - of course there are still fair challenges to 2-2-V-1; but more light is on it now than before, and the alternatives are still not emerging so strongly.  I would welcome more open challenge instead of article-comment snippets and back-channel emails.  I have tired of trying to reason with such commenters offline and find them for the most part single-minded in denying any notion TIGHAR may have, including most probably where we might report the restrooms to be located at the AF Museum...

I have quickly arrived at the same place.

This anti-Niku crowd, TECTIC as Mr. Fowler has aptly coined it, clearly has an agenda.  I see the same thing over and over again ... two primary techniques:  bait-and-switch, and straw man.

TECTIC:  "TIGHAR is a sham, 2-2-V-1 was proven to be part of a PBY in 1992."   

Reply: "Actually, 2-2-V-1 is not part of a PBY, and here's the conclusive evidence to show otherwise."

TECTIC:  "The burden of proof is not on US!  TIGHAR needs to prove it came from the Electra!"

Reply: "Agreed.  That's what TIGHAR is trying to do."

TECTIC:  "A-ha!  See!  TIGHAR has not produced any evidence that proves Earhart landed at Gardner."

Reply: "Correct. If TIGHAR had evidence that proved such, we would not be discussing this.  They have a hypothesis.  They seek and test evidence to support or refute that hypothesis."

TECTIC:  "But they have not produced any evidence that proves Earhart landed at Gardner.  TIGHAR is a sham."

It is comical. And they should really coordinate their talking points like the political parties do.  It does their cause no good when their agents post 4 different figures for Ric's compensation last year in four different places on the internet in a week's time.
TIGHAR No. 4538R

Ron Lyons

• T1
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »

Yeah, when they start talking money and the IRS it's getting kind of desperate... must be pretty heavy on Ric, don't sweat it Ric we see it for what it is.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »

The depth of the personal hatred is baffling.  What is it about the Earhart mystery that inspires such emotion?  It's almost like a religious thing.  I'm guilty of some terrible heresy.  Behead the infidel!  I don't take it personally. Hell, I've never had contact of any kind with most of these people. I guess I must symbolize something they deeply fear, envy, or resent.
Poor, poor pitiful me. :-\

What always bugs me are references to "Gillespie's organization."  TIGHAR is my own (and my wife Pat's) creation but it is not ours.  TIGHAR a squeaky-clean 501 c3 public charity with a governing board of directors, a strong world-wide membership, and a fantastic cadre of knowledgeable, talented, dedicated volunteers. TIGHAR is a unique concept - open-source aviation historical investigation.  I have the great privilege of leading and speaking for this fine organization.  If that also means taking the heat and the hatred for the great work we do it's a small price to pay.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org