Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visualizing the distance  (Read 5144 times)

Diane James

• T2
  • TIGHAR #4821A
Visualizing the distance
« on: October 22, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »

Out of curiosity I took the distance from Lae to Howland, given on the forum as 2,556 miles, and went to Google Earth and used the measurement tool to try to get a perspective on how far that really is. 

It would be like coming out of Los Angeles International Airport (KLAX) and flying east non-stop to the far end of Long Island!  Then, trying to find an island smaller than Central Park!

The program gives an interesting perspective, and can be used from any starting point (like your hometown). I find it much easier to visualize 2,556 miles in relation to the familiar map of the continent than across the vast featureless and unfamiliar (to me) Pacific.

Diane
Diane James
TIGHAR #4821A

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:43:37 PM by Diane James »

Chris Murphy

• T1
Re: Visualizing the distance
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 02:53:15 PM »

Interesting!  I did a similar Google Earth measurement and found that the distance was also greater than the distance of London to Baghdad.   :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org