Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UK Archives  (Read 8702 times)

Ron Taylor

• T1
UK Archives
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »

Probably a dumb question but have the UK Archives at Kew been researched. Unlikely there would anything new but it appears there are consular reports and correspondence with UK Gov't. At best a very long shot.

The holdings are listed at:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/?_q=earhart

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: UK Archives
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »

Probably a dumb question but have the UK Archives at Kew been researched. Unlikely there would anything new but it appears there are consular reports and correspondence with UK Gov't. At best a very long shot.

The holdings are listed at:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/?_q=earhart

I don't know the answer to your question.

If someone in Britain wants to read in the archives, I think they should look for materials in the "home office" of the Western Pacific High Commission for correspondence about the bones, say from 1941 up to the removal of the office from Suva to Honiara in 1952. 

I would bet against Suva saying anything to the home office about the bones, but if someone feels inclined to play long shots, this might be one to explore.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:26:44 AM »

If anyone is so inclined, I'd suggest they also keep their eyes open for any correspondence concerning Gallagher's possessions.  Perhaps there's a copy of the 25 August 45 telegram to WR Carpenter Shipping asking then to pick-up his 4 trunks.  Tighar has never seen the telegram.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:12:11 AM »

If anyone is so inclined, I'd suggest they also keep their eyes open for any correspondence concerning Gallagher's possessions.  Perhaps there's a copy of the 25 August 45 telegram to WR Carpenter Shipping asking then to pick-up his 4 trunks.  Tighar has never seen the telegram.

I'm not sure that the last statement--"TIGHAR has never seen the telegram"--is entirely correct.

I believe that Ric is familiar with the contents of the telegram, even if he has not looked at the original or a facsimile.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 08:50:08 AM »

Probably a dumb question but have the UK Archives at Kew been researched.

Kew was one of the first places we looked for information about Gardner.  We didn't find much except some documents on Norwch City.  We didn't search for information about Earhart.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:52:44 AM »

Is this what you're referring to?  It's not a telegram and the date is 7 August 1945.  It's in Volume III of Gallagher's WPHC file.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 09:59:54 AM »

That's it if it is what is referred to as a telegram in the article on Gallagher's possessions.  Look in timeline box under 'missing trunks.

http://tighar.org/wiki/GBG#Missing_trunks

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »

That's it if it is what is referred to as a telegram in the article on Gallagher's possessions.  Look in timeline box under 'missing trunks.

http://tighar.org/wiki/GBG#Missing_trunks

Yeah, that's it.  Gerry Gallagher told us about it but didn't give us a copy. It's a memo, not a telegram.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org