Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Worth contacting?  (Read 28497 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Worth contacting?
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:55:41 PM »

I have a number of web alerts setup for key words in things that interest me, one of those words being Nikumaroro.

This just popped up Aviators bucket list

May be worth a punt?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Worth contacting?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »

I don't hink he sounds like the sort guy we'd want to spend a month on a boat with.  We're pretty selective about who we will accept as a Sponsor Team Member.

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »

I agree with Ric. Ive read about this guy before. His "aspirations" to find Earhart almost make it sound like he wants to cash in on someone elses work. I cant speak for everyone else, but I have little patience for inflated ego.  Granted, I dont know the guy from Adam but from what I have read of him, I could see any sponsorship going to his head and causing real problems for those on the expedition.

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »

Hey guys and gals have'nt we been there done that!

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »

I was thinking it. You said it.

Krystal "Doesnt want to see history repeat itsself" McGinty

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »

Ahem ...

"But I don't want to get on the cart ..."

"Oh, don't be such a baby!" *

LTM, who mixes horses and carts every day,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

* only comprehensible if you've seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail eleventy-billion times.
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Kent Beuchert

• T1
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »

Doesn't sound to me like he wants to join anybody - and he's already
got his diving gear and more money than TIGHAR. Anchors away!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »

Doesn't sound to me like he wants to join anybody - and he's already
got his diving gear and more money than TIGHAR. Anchors away!

I he goes to Niku without clearing through TIGHAR and if he doesn't get a PIPA Permit and bring along a Kiribati representative he's operating illegally.

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »

Could someone do that?  Just go behind your back and get a permit from PIPA or will Kiribati stop them.  If this guy were to illegally access the island and find something, would TIGHAR get the credit its due?  Unsettling thought to say the least.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »

Could someone do that?  Just go behind your back and get a permit from PIPA or will Kiribati stop them.  If this guy were to illegally access the island and find something, would TIGHAR get the credit its due?  Unsettling thought to say the least.

Someone could certainly go to Niku illegally.  No way to stop them.  But they couldn't get a PIPA permit without an okay from us.
I don't worry about credit, but I'd worry about the conservation of any artifacts found.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 04:06:02 AM »

Even if someone went to Niku illegally and did recover Earhart-related artifacts, they can't rob TIGHAR of credit (at least if their actions are known): it would prove the Niku arrival as positive.

The greatest tragedy would be a privateer looting such things and not conserving properly, or just as bad - keeping whatever is found secreted away.  That sometimes happens with antiquities collectors who are able to have what they want and robs the rest of us of the knowledge of the past.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:53:31 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

JNev

• T5
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »

Someone could certainly go to Niku illegally.  No way to stop them.  But they couldn't get a PIPA permit without an okay from us.
I don't worry about credit, but I'd worry about the conservation of any artifacts found.

Ric,

Just curious - how binding is TIGHAR's agreement with a foreign entity like Kiribati?  Does TIGHAR have enforceable exclusivity through international law? 

Just occurred to me that it might be subject to Kiribati's 'pleasure' (although I realize TIGHAR is on great terms with them and has served well as a custodian of sorts and always works under supervision of their government).  Can Kiribatic enforceably be held to the agreement?
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »

Just curious - how binding is TIGHAR's agreement with a foreign entity like Kiribati?

The agreement is between TIGHAR and the government of Kiribati.  How "binding" is it?  TIGHAR and Kiribati consider themselves "bound" by it. 

Does TIGHAR have enforceable exclusivity through international law? 

The only way to answer that is through a test case - which I hope we never have.

Just occurred to me that it might be subject to Kiribati's 'pleasure' (although I realize TIGHAR is on great terms with them and has served well as a custodian of sorts and always works under supervision of their government).

It is a binding agreement between the parties.  Both sides have obligations. Compliance is not subject to Kiribati's pleasure.

Can Kiribatic enforceably be held to the agreement?

Again, the only way to answer that is through a test case - which I hope we never have.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »

Thanks, Ric - and I share your sentiment, of course regarding 'test cases' which TIGHAR doesn't need.

Probably the greatest danger is a wealthy privateer going after it for personal aquisition - hard to guard against if someone is deterimined and equipped well enough to carry it off.  That's the antiquities nightmare, I'm sure.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »

That's the antiquities nightmare, I'm sure.

It has ever been so.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org