Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Global Warming: the money grab  (Read 38841 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Global Warming: the money grab
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:24:33 AM »

This matter deserves it's own thread, so I have copied the initial comments to a new venue.

Tim Mellon
T5

Blast off!
X

Re: Niku VIII Funding
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 06:26:37 PM »
Quote from: Andrew M McKenna on August 18, 2014, 08:48:59 PM
Quote from: Tim Mellon on August 18, 2014, 08:33:30 PM

Fraud is very upsetting. It is usually related to some form of money grabbing.

So is paradigm shift.  It is usually related to some form of entrenched money grabbing that doesn't like the change.

Andrew

Andrew, there's really not much new about the globe warming: it has been the case for the last 20,000 years. Not really a paradigm shift.

What is new is the political hype, the disingenuous hockey stick by Michael Mann, and the bastardization of datasets to make political points. This is not science.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:27:59 AM by Tim Mellon »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: Global Warming: the money grab
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 05:53:23 AM »

Bravo!  I nearly did this yesterday, good call.

Well, since it came up...

I've been reserved on this as I never wanted to get into the politics here, really, or interfere with TIGHAR's efforts at the mission... but I have to admit that with the 'science in' on it, yes - the earth has a breathing life of its own, and our influence is... overblown IMO.

I do see value in understanding our physical environment - which does change (cooling over last several years, I believe), and believe we should be responsible stewards.  But all the hype we've had dumped on our heads by those who've intimidated and contrived is no more than a rip-off and power grab, IMO - scare tactics to fleece us as far as I am concerned.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »

Tim

You neglected to start at the very beginning of the discussion:

... and the whole climate change thing seems to upset a lot of people.

Fraud is very upsetting. It is usually related to some form of money grabbing.

Based upon the above, I take it that you believe that climate change is a fraud, yet you then go on to say that global warming has been going on for 20,000 years.  Once again you display an inconsistency in your position, while offering nothing substantive to back up anything you are proposing, fraud or 20,000 years of global warming.

So which is it, and let's see what you back it up with.

Andrew

Mark Samuels

• T1
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:10:49 PM »

Based upon the above, I take it that you believe that climate change is a fraud, yet you then go on to say that global warming has been going on for 20,000 years. 

Mr. McKenna, Tim Mellon said, "Andrew, there's really not much new about the globe warming: it has been the case for the last 20,000 years."

With respect, I did not take it as him saying that "global warming has been going on for 20,000 years", but global warning has been a case for that period of time.  That seems to me, not to be a statement that it has 'been going on'.  Can't speak for Mr. Mellon but that is the way I took it.  In any event, I believe that it is far too polarizing to be part of the focus of another expedition on Nikumaroro.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »

And further, Andrew, CO2 has only been spewing into the atmosphere for less than 200 years. The cause of warming lies elsewhere, possibly sun flare cycles.

The fraud consists of assertions that global warming is man-made.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

JNev

• T5
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »

And further, Andrew, CO2 has only been spewing into the atmosphere for less than 200 years. The cause of warming lies elsewhere, possibly sun flare cycles.

The fraud consists of assertions that global warming is man-made.

I tend to separate the two - the 'inseparable', in fact - given that politics typically co-opts all things...

We have 'climate change', no question; there can be many reasons for it - many contributors, large and small.

What I tire of is the "Chicken Little" assertion - that man has somehow single-handedly triggered some dooms-day event, and that life as we know it must grind to a halt - economies knocked off their petro-bases overnight, etc. to "save the planet".

What is observable is that the planet is not even behaving as the doom-sayers have predicted - data was clearly manipulated and those who dared challenge that were blackballed as non-thinking rabble.  Meanwhile, those who profit by fanning the flames of fear got not only a pass, but fame - for a time: the public by-and-large doesn't like swallowing Chicken Little's feathers, it seems...

None of that means I don't favor understanding our climate - and its very real changes.  I also don't particularly object to this being studied at remote places like Niku if resources can be shared advantageously with those who do such things, etc.  But it is not a primary mission for TIGHAR, as I see it - and I just don't buy the hysteria that so often has gone with the topic.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

JNev

• T5
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »

Interesting perspective, Chris - with real experience.

I don't doubt we emit harmful stuff and should curb pollution, etc. - nor do I deny the need for real study.  The problem I have is with runaway assumptions - as you pointed out, we lack hard data to prove much about this, so it is hard to know what to focus with urgency on, etc.

Acid rain wasn't alleviated overnight but had to be understood and dealt with in a way that the economy could swallow.  Same with these other things.

Oh well - I'm way off my intended turf here, I guess.  Back to looking for lost airplanes, at least for a bit...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »

Chris, I think you have a valid point.

Petroleum is a passing phase, and I think we will sooner run out of its need before we run out of its supply. Hydrogen, graphite, fusion and many other advances will propel mankind beyond the internal combustion process before the end of the 21st Century.

The Malthuseians (and your Ludites) just don't get it: mankind has the ability to invent its way out of any problem, so long as the politicians keep their crooked little noses out of the process.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:38:05 PM »

Tim et al

I just trying to get a grip on where you guys stand.

When you see a graph like this

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/aggi/aggi.fig5.png - also attached

It doesn't make you wonder about whether or not the change is related to mankind's use of fossil fuels, i.e. man-made?  Not even a little bit?

Or is NOAA just part of the "fraud"?

amck

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 12:27:16 AM »

A few points:

1. The data now apparently shows that the world has actually been in a slight cooling trend for the past 18 years.

2. My own hunch is that the climate is largely affected by the sun-spots. Even Eric Holder can't do much about that.

3. The CT Dept of Environmental Protection published a study years ago showing that during the last Ice Age, the Ocean adjacent to Connecticut was 450 feet lower than it is today. The weight of the ice (over a mile thick) pushed the CT shore area down over 100 feet.

4. The NOAA graph goes back but 300 years. The CO2 has increased only 50% in that time. There was a time 500 million years ago (can't remember the name of the Age, but you can ask the Dept of Interior) when the concentration of carbon dioxide was over 100 times it's current concentration. Yet Nature has survived nicely.

So NOAA is not part of the fraud; just those who insist that the data in their graph proves that man is responsible for global warming.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:28:56 AM by Tim Mellon »

JNev

• T5
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 04:16:21 AM »

Tim gives a sensible summary to me of what this is really about, and a bit more insight than we'll get from the fear mongers to boot.

I respect the NOAA data - but that is all it is, 'data', which is akin to what Disraeli warned us about concerning statistics: take care lest they simple be made to say what one says they are.

I have no doubt that rising CO2 levels have a 'greenhouse effect'; I have great doubt that man alone is anywhere near responsible for what we have seen.  The cooling trend Tim mentions is also demonstrable, as I understand it.  Nature remains a far greater force than man, to wit the time in the past with carbon dioxide extremes far greater than we're seeing today (vulcanizing?). 

BTW, the sun is hotter than usual - I don't see that factor among the NOAA data here, for one thing.  So while I'm sure NOAA has wonderful data, I look at the set and find it wanting for the sake of this discussion - where, fairly, are the other factors that also affect global temperatures?  I won't call NOAA fraudulent, I don't know that they are - but I call that chart flawed if one wishes to use it to prove that man is causing these changes.

At the end of it - I don't dispute science - but that is the point: we've gotten way too much noise that has been involved in hijacking the science to its own ends and attempting to create what amounts to panic.  We're not getting enough unfettered, quiet science to fully understand the changes our planet is undergoing.

The earth has its own complex cycles as it exists in a complex universe - and I'm not overly alarmed at the changes - as Tim pointed out, nature adapts - so must we, as real changes come.  Yes, some short term effects may be harmful to our existence - but man is quite adaptable.  What I think we don't need are a bunch of half-assed hysterics hi-jacking the science and running our economic system into the ground to drive us all into mud huts and onto ox carts pulled by ants.

That's where I 'stand', if it's important.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:23:36 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Steve Lee

• T2
  • I am under moderation
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:44:20 AM »

Its may be useful to have the accurate information to form your opinion about a subject.  Here is a link to a web site that provides the information on climate change:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11462-climate-change-a-guide-for-the-perplexed.html#.U_Xxm0gm2CT

Steve Lee

• T2
  • I am under moderation
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »

One more piece of reading for those who interested in climate change.  The link below discusses changes in atmospheric CO2 and climate over geological time scales.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-higher-in-past-intermediate.htm

drriddle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »

A few points:

1. The data now apparently shows that the world has actually been in a slight cooling trend for the past 18 years.

No, they do not.  That canard is solely based on the fact that 1998 remains the warmest year on record, disregarding that it was an El Nino year (which causes extra heating).  Nine of the ten hottest recorded years have happened since 2000, and the total heat balance of the world (which includes the atmosphere and ocean) has increased.

2. My own hunch is that the climate is largely affected by the sun-spots. Even Eric Holder can't do much about that.

The Sun has a large effect on climate, as without it we wouldn't have one.  The Sun, however, has gone through no significant changes (in total output or due to sunspots) that relate to the changes we have seen over the past 50 years.  There are plenty of scientific papers about this, so we already know your hunch is incorrect.

3. The CT Dept of Environmental Protection published a study years ago showing that during the last Ice Age, the Ocean adjacent to Connecticut was 450 feet lower than it is today. The weight of the ice (over a mile thick) pushed the CT shore area down over 100 feet.

I'm not going to address this, except to point out that taking one cherry picked data point is a poor way to discuss this topic.

4. The NOAA graph goes back but 300 years. The CO2 has increased only 50% in that time. There was a time 500 million years ago (can't remember the name of the Age, but you can ask the Dept of Interior) when the concentration of carbon dioxide was over 100 times it's current concentration. Yet Nature has survived nicely.

So NOAA is not part of the fraud; just those who insist that the data in their graph proves that man is responsible for global warming.

The argument that "the climate always changes, therefore we have nothing to do with the current heating" is spurious.  The Earth was undergoing a long cooling cycle, which has rapidly reversed in the past 100 years; the only change in the atmosphere that wasn't a "natural" occurrence is our dumping of CO2 into the atmosphere.  The Sun has nothing to do with this.  The only large source of heating left is human.

And, the idea that it's a fraud is ludicrous.  Thousands of scientists would have to be in on it, from nations all around the world (including US enemies).  It's just not a credible argument, but it's made in an attempt to undercut the science data that opponents don't want to look at in totality. 

Also, scientists aren't in this for the money, the resources they get to do research are just enough to do the research; very few of us make enough to become wealthy.  A vast amount of money is involved in the oil economy, and keeping that dominant is a much more lucrative endeavor, which means a very large monetary incentive to undercut anything that would challenge that.  That's why we see states like Oklahoma trying to stop solar power, because the oil lobby got them to pass laws.  Somehow, people think that scientists have a larger financial interest in this than the oil industry, which is just flat wrong.

In the end, physics doesn't care what you think, it will do what it will do, and if you ignore it you will end up paying.  Any kid who does something stupid and falls down knows this.  Ignoring the heating, or pretending it's not happening, or attacking the messengers, won't matter when the ocean rises and Niku ends up underwater.

Reed
Dr. Reed L. Riddle

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »

A few points:

No, they do not.  That canard is solely based on the fact that 1998 remains the warmest year on record, disregarding that it was an El Nino year (which causes extra heating). Nine of the ten hottest recorded years have happened since 2000, and the total heat balance of the world (which includes the atmosphere and ocean) has increased.

Surely you've examined the records for the past 20,000 years, Dr. Riddle...

The Sun has a large effect on climate, as without it we wouldn't have one.  The Sun, however, has gone through no significant changes (in total output or due to sunspots) that relate to the changes we have seen over the past 50 years.  There are plenty of scientific papers about this, so we already know your hunch is incorrect.

Did I mention 20,000 years, not just 50?

I'm not going to address this, except to point out that taking one cherry picked data point is a poor way to discuss this topic.

Oh, I guess the remainder of the Atlantic Ocean wasn't 450 feet lower...

The argument that "the climate always changes, therefore we have nothing to do with the current heating" is spurious.  The Earth was undergoing a long cooling cycle, which has rapidly reversed in the past 100 years; the only change in the atmosphere that wasn't a "natural" occurrence is our dumping of CO2 into the atmosphere.  The Sun has nothing to do with this.  The only large source of heating left is human.

I guess the Little Ice Age is myth and/or spurious.

And, the idea that it's a fraud is ludicrous.  Thousands of scientists would have to be in on it, from nations all around the world (including US enemies).  It's just not a credible argument, but it's made in an attempt to undercut the science data that opponents don't want to look at in totality. 

Also, scientists aren't in this for the money, the resources they get to do research are just enough to do the research; very few of us make enough to become wealthy.  A vast amount of money is involved in the oil economy, and keeping that dominant is a much more lucrative endeavor, which means a very large monetary incentive to undercut anything that would challenge that.  That's why we see states like Oklahoma trying to stop solar power, because the oil lobby got them to pass laws.  Somehow, people think that scientists have a larger financial interest in this than the oil industry, which is just flat wrong.

Even having a cushy research job is incentive enough, forget about becoming wealthy.

In the end, physics doesn't care what you think, it will do what it will do, and if you ignore it you will end up paying.  Any kid who does something stupid and falls down knows this.  Ignoring the heating, or pretending it's not happening, or attacking the messengers, won't matter when the ocean rises and Niku ends up underwater.

Don't forget, Niku like most volcanic islands, is also sinking. So is Connecticut. So, in fact, is the whole East Coast of the United States. Few of you scientists give this phenomenon due credit.

In fact, Dr. Riddle, Michael Mann is just the visible tip of a melting iceberg, mixing datasets to his own liking, and essentially abandoning the scientific method. He and you and I probably won't be around for the onset of the next Ice Age, but as sure as shooting it is on the way. Then you can go back to studying "Global Cooling" the way you did in the 1970s as a reaction to the possibility of a Nuclear Winter. Government funding will flow without interruption.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org