Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: R.I.P. Betty Klenck Brown  (Read 31873 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
R.I.P. Betty Klenck Brown
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »

Betty Klenck Brown passed away Wednesday night, June 18.  She was 92.  Betty had been in declining health for several months and was in hospice care but she remained lucid until just a few days before she died.  I last talked to her about a month ago and she was very much herself - sweet, funny, and eager to hear the latest TIGHAR news.
Her daughter reports that she was comfortable with the approaching end, not anxious or afraid.  "When I go, be sure and let Ric know."
It was a great privilege to know her.

Betty will be buried beside her husband "Brownie" (who died of Alzheimers several years ago) in the family plot in Hoopeston, IL on June 30.  Her role in the Earhart saga will be mentioned in her obituary and the plaque that Pat and I presented to her on behalf of the TIGHAR membership in 2013  (YouTube "Thanks to Betty") will be displayed at her funeral.

James G. Stoveken

• T2
Re: R.I.P. Betty Klenck Brown
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »

For me, Betty's notebook is one of the Earhart Projects most important discoveries.  I'm grateful that she saved and shared it with us.

My condolences to the family and friends of Betty Klenck.
Jim Stoveken

Paul March

• T1
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »

Rest well Betty.
Betty is a testament to the power that a single person has to positively impact so many. May her family and friends find comfort in her memory.
The search continues in her spirit.....

Dave McDaniel

• T2
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »

Sad news indeed. She will be remembered well and for a long time.

My deepest condolences to Betty's family,

Dave

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »

Betty and her once-unappreciated doodlings in a notebook will not be forgotten.  She has left a priceless contribution and her mark upon the legacy of Amelia Earhart.

Condolences to her family.
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »

Thanks for sharing this news, Ric.  Betty was a mighty fine and special lady, I'm sorry to hear of her passing but am grateful for along and fruitful life.  I will always be glad for the fascinating chapter she gave us in this chase.

Maybe now Betty's own wonderings about that fateful afternoon of odd broadcasts have been clearly answered for her, only the Cosmos can know.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »

As we say over here 'she's had a good innings' and fingers crossed this year we'll find the grail and then we can say that Betty was with Amelia and Fred at the very end.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:14:15 PM »

My condolences to Betty's family

Thinking of them at this sad time

Thanks Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 07:58:32 PM »

Betty gave the world a priceless contribution.
/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 06:09:32 AM »

Betty thought the world of TIGHAR and of you, Ric.  Your calls and visits always kept her spirits up.  She was very kind to me in giving me the opportunity to call her up a few years ago after I contacted her on Facebook. 
I'll miss her as will all who knew her.  I'm thinking of her family as are all TIGHARs.  We are lucky she documented for posterity what she heard and what she thought about it afterward.  I was looking for a way to remember Betty and found this 2007 interview I thought to share.  It seems a nice way to revisit her and for those who are unfamiliar with her story to learn more about her.

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078RCP

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 07:11:01 AM »

Thanks for posting this interview Joe! This interview and several others like it, are a major contribution...not only to the TIGHAR organization...but to the world. It tells the world that what she wrote down is most likely the last words that anyone heard from Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan!!! What a treasure!!!! I loved this interview because it gives the listener the true understanding of who Amelia truly was. Typical Kansas cussing girl who'd rather stick with it and fix it or and doesn't take no for an answer! I had to laugh as Betty described Amelia in her frustrations! I truly wonder what Fred's attitude towards her on this whole trip was like? Anyway, not only did one person hear Amelia, but Betty's father heard her as well. In the interview Betty describes her father's radio as a console with a short wave radio. It almost depicts the radio my great grandfather had in his home. With that...I wonder...why only a small percentage of people heard her, and not many others? This is a question that truly needs to be answered! Anyway, Betty's notebook is a priceless treasure, and I'm positive that it will end up in a glass case for future generations to come!! My heart goes out to Betty's family during this difficult time. R.I.P. Betty....and may the Lord guide you safely home!!!

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 11:40:17 PM »

Interesting that the radio host dates the notebook at July 2nd 1937.

I'm satisfied that TIGHAR has fleshed it out as being July 5th 1937.

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 07:01:11 AM »

Was glancing at the pages of Betty's Notebook this morning, and remembered from the interview she had where she talked about sitting on the floor and listening to her father's radio. I was somewhat amused by the pages 34, 35, and 38 of her notebook. You would think at first these were words to a poem or just words written down on paper..but indeed were lyrics to the song "Carelessly" written by Billie Holiday in 1937. Anyway, wanted to pay tribute to Betty by posting this song on the forum in her memory. But, wanted to express the value of this notebook. If Betty can take the time to write down the lyrics to a song...word for word...then the words she written down from Amelia...are word for word. Anyway, when you listen and watch this video...pay close attention to the 1.05 mark..You will see a similarity in Betty's drawings and the drawing on the album cover. Very interesting! Anyway....this song goes out to you Betty!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxbZ0p03ec

manjeet aujla

• T1
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 09:00:15 AM »

She was one of two 'personal' links to AE's post-crash story (the other one being Gallagher), and we oughta be thankful that she came forward with her diary, and that it is now an integral, recorded part   of Tighar's Niku theory, indeed one of the strongest bricks. It doesn't matter if the diary is  'scientific' or not... it has the ring of truth.

On meeting AE (note: I don't mean to go in the realm of the religious here), I hope she asks AE, "Girl! why were you not transmitting just the words 'Norwich City" or "Gardner Island" over and over again?"

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 09:03:11 AM »

"Girl! why were you not transmitting just the words 'Norwich City" or "Gardner Island" over and over again?"

"Didn't you hear me?  I said Norwich City over and over.  What's Gardner Island?"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org