Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 85   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-2-V-1 - patch?  (Read 1126573 times)

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
Re: 2-2-V-1 - patch?
« Reply #1185 on: January 15, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »

That's just it, Ric.  From his tone, when he says someone you and he can agree on, he's really not interested in your approval, only his own.  It's a sad commentary on his objectivity and scientific integrity.  With that kind of atmosphere, I can't imagine any forum he's in charge of, or even a part of, producing much that's scientifically credible.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #1186 on: January 15, 2015, 05:59:50 PM »

To my knowledge, neither Jeff Neville (who says Glickman is a great guy) or Bob Lanz (who says Glickman does terrible work) has ever met Jeff Glickman.

Jeff Neville was in Philadelphia for the weekend conference a few years ago where Jeff Glickman did the presentation on the Bevington Object.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #1187 on: January 15, 2015, 06:01:08 PM »

Oh, what the heck. To quote Monty Python, "I've had worse."

I'm in. What do we have to lose? If Mr. Gillespie and Mr. Lanz can agree on an expert, all Mr. Lanz has to agree to do is pay 50 percent of the cost, if it's not done gratis. TIGHAR's half is covered.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

LTM, who is thinking seriously about getting onto the cart,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #1188 on: January 15, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »

Jeff Neville was in Philadelphia for the weekend conference a few years ago where Jeff Glickman did the presentation on the Bevington Object.

Ahh yes.  Thanks. I had forgotten about that.  He's right of course.  Glickman is a great guy.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #1189 on: January 15, 2015, 06:06:46 PM »

TIGHAR's half is covered.

Thanks Monty.  Your generosity is exceeded only by your optimism.

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #1190 on: January 15, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »

Please post a link to the darwin photo that is deing discussed. Any size.

Thanl u marty. I did try searching but kept coming up with only text results.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #1191 on: January 16, 2015, 01:46:26 AM »

OK why wait for Bob L and TIGHAR to come to some mutal agreement when surely all TIGHAR has to do is the same as Bob L and ask Elgin Long for a copy (or is that bridge burnt?).

Then TIGHAR have their analysis, Bob L has his.  Possibly both agree but more likly they don't then its down to each side to prove that they are right.  One way would be then to send both sets of analysis to a third (or even fourth/fifth) neutral party.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #1192 on: January 16, 2015, 05:47:16 AM »

One way would be then to send both sets of analysis to a third (or even fourth/fifth) neutral party.

When one publishes research, the work is available to all for "peer review."

Here is an unassailable truth, one with which you cannot rationally disagree: "People disagree."

Photo analysts are people.

They often disagree.

Such is life in the real world.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #1193 on: January 16, 2015, 06:04:15 AM »

Then get a copy from Elgin Long, let Mr Glickman do his stuff, publish and be damned!

Is this too simple? Because what I think your saying is people will disagree on any and all analysis.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #1194 on: January 16, 2015, 06:49:57 AM »

Here's a thought - move on as though the photo doesn't exist (which, at this point, it looks like it pretty much doesn't for TIGHAR) and let the opposition do their own analysis and present their findings if refuting TIGHAR's hypothesis is so important to them. Surely there are other things to pursue? Work with what ya got until ya get more.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #1195 on: January 16, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »

Then get a copy from Elgin Long, let Mr Glickman do his stuff, publish and be damned!

Yes, that is what I would recommend.

Is this too simple? Because what I think you're saying is people will disagree on any and all analysis.

Not necessarily on "all."  But disagreement already exists very strongly in this case.  Who is the Master Analyst whose judgment will silence all objections?  Even setting standards for the meaning of "neutral" is something about which people are likely to disagree.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #1196 on: January 16, 2015, 08:14:33 AM »

OK why wait for Bob L and TIGHAR to come to some mutal agreement when surely all TIGHAR has to do is the same as Bob L and ask Elgin Long for a copy (or is that bridge burnt?).

There was never a bridge to burn.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #1197 on: January 16, 2015, 08:30:41 AM »

I've known Jeff through TIGHAR for eleven years.  I've broken bread with him at EPAC meetings.  I think he is a very honest man and a diligent worker.  We are privileged to have had the benefit of his expertise for these many years.  More power to him!

To my knowledge, neither Jeff Neville (who says Glickman is a great guy) or Bob Lanz (who says Glickman does terrible work) has ever met Jeff Glickman.

I met Jeff Glickman and sat and talked with him and Marty at the Earhart Symposium at Washington D.C. June 2012.

I think Jeff is a great guy. 

Since you've implied a lukewarm endorsement on my part, I will elaborate:

I think he has talent and ability.  While I admire much that he has done, I was frankly disappointed in the level of technical presentation of the Bevington Object and felt that Jeff's "2D" overlay of graphics to illustrate the components and positional relationships was, frankly, poor for a man with such highly promoted skills.  It did not do justice to what may be in that photo.  Where was the "3D" model that someone of his standing should be able to provide?  That's not to take away from his base abilities as a photogrammetry technician, or his sincerity, but it does suggest a man of very limited resources when it comes to this level of pursuit.

Then comes the hyper spectral imaging effort.  At first I wasn't sure this would benefit us on 2-2-V-1, but at Dayton I had come to believe it was warranted.  As that developed, however, questions arose in my mind that I never voiced here but watched for answers for.  When it emerged that Glickman was to have his inaugural experience with this discipline in your home over a bief period of time, my confidence plummeted.  Why would this great guy, a sincere professional, subject himself to a first-time experience under such constraint and allow you to run with the results as you did?  He's a nice guy, but I find that effort wanting and it does not give me confidence in what you two do together. 

Then emerged your own use of some color images - of Glickman or not I cannot tell (but you are an amateur at photo work like myself, so apparently by Glickman) to dramatize what you pressed as being 'landing damage' at Miami.  This to suggest reasons for the 'patch'.  More of that emerged later under a gauze of 'Glickman and I' as you got aboard with 'deformations' in the 'patch' (after criticizing another poster for putting up a graphic that resembled a voting district map in Kansas).  Contour mapping and matching was then coming into play, now fizzled, mercifully.  Brainstorming is great, but using that kind of leading effort to support a hypothesis such as contour matching is highly promotional, and it's a bit concerning that Glickman allows his efforts to be used that way.  That's not to criticize him personally so much as to simply note that you, Ric, are not the scientist in this exercise, but the promoter - but you tend to blend the two.  That doesn't rob Glickman of his abilities, but it necessarily does cast him as an arm of the promotional organ of TIGHAR.

Promotion has its place, no bucks, no Buck Rogers.  You are an aggressive promoter, bravo - without that there would be no TIGHAR.  TIGHAR has much good about her, but the promotional aspects, in my view, sometimes overrun the science we claim to hold first.  Glickman is a great guy, but my belief is that he is not the go to guy when this sort of objectivity is clearly needed: if we are to pursue this Darwin Photo under the circumstances at hand, we need oversight that is blind to Glickman, Gillespie and Lanz.  Even Lanz has admitted that.

You know as well as I that there are professionals of Glickman's caliber or higher who can do this and who can be vetted and agreed to.  If properly approached, the price might even be quite favorable as this might find empathy as a historic pursuit.

Do I agree that Glickman should never be allowed within 10 feet of 2-2-V-1?  No, I don't - not any more than I would agree with some of the bannings you've laid on a few folks instead of simply contending with them in open deDebate.  But I am not surprised at some of the reactions Glickman gets at times - any more than your own frustrations with the more vexatious trolls at times.  But why oh why did a serious practitioner like Glickman ever allow himself to somehow become associated with the pursuit of Bigfoot for God's sake?  I thought that was a joke until I saw it had truly happened.  I can 'get' the clinical view - that he was providing a 'service', but it is not a fortunate association in the eyes of some.  That's not a swipe - it's just an observation of an unfortunate background issue that suggests a practitioner who may have at least one eye planted firmly on that which is more promotional than scientific at times.  Well damn, most of us have things in our past we could live without.

Is a professional review truly necessary?  Not for my satisfaction.  I've seen the photo and believe any lay person can discern the slick skin and rivets in adjacent skins.  But I am an amateur, no one should take my word - and I respect the concern that these things tend to get a lot of amateur churn if released before serious professional view is complete.  In a court it would amount to how the jury pool is treated.

So I hope this is abundantly free of innuendo, as you felt I used before.  And I truly appreciate your allowing me to engage so frankly - it is to yours and TIGHAR's great credit to have done so.  Bottom line, whatever I do here I have a better TIGHAR in mind, Ric.  Much has been done better than the critics admit.  But there are times when we should step up. 

The Bully Pulpit is a life reality, too, but be careful not to be a bully if you'd take it.  We should have enough faith in the base theory of a Gardner arrival that a given share of aluminum would hardly matter if proven wrong, in my view.  The churn I see here in the past couple of days doesn't have much science or faith in it, but much defensiveness. 

Why not turn the wick down and consider whether you even care enough about this artifact at this point to deal with Bob or not; if you do, then consider just getting to the humble basics.  Maybe in there somewhere some goodwill can emerge and everybody can cut some personal slack and allow the science to go forward.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:40:27 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #1198 on: January 16, 2015, 08:32:29 AM »

Who is the Master Analyst whose judgment will silence all objections?  Even setting standards for the meaning of "neutral" is something about which people are likely to disagree.

I think we're coming around to the realization that absent an "any idiot photograph" the question of whether 2-2-V-1 is or is not the Miami Patch will not be settled by photographic interpretation.  Whether Elgen Long's Darwin Hangar photo is an "any idiot photo" is, of course, unknown until somebody presents it for inspection by all of us idiots. 

Long is not likely to do that.  Remember, he's the one who kept the CalTech study secret, releasing it only to investors in the for-profit deep water searches. (When it finally became public it was transparently GIGO). Colin Cobb's for-profit Stratus Project is doing the same thing.  He and Gary LaPook have figured out where the airplane is - but they ain't sayin'.

Compare and contrast with TIGHAR and our public release of exactly where we're going to search and why.

I agree with Tim Collins.  If the hi-res Darwin Hangar photo is not publicly available it effectively doesn't exist and we should move on.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:37:39 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #1199 on: January 16, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »

Since you've implied a lukewarm endorsement on my part, I will elaborate:

I wish I had time to correct multitude of errors and misimpressions in your indictment of Glickman, but I don't and besides - it would appear defensive.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 85   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org