Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 85   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-2-V-1 - patch?  (Read 1126646 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: 2-2-V-1 - patch?
« Reply #330 on: July 28, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »

I checked in with Jeff Glickman on how he's coming along with the 2-2-V-1 analysis.  He can't see individual rivets but he can discern rivet lines.  Does the spacing between rivet lines on the patch match the spacing between rivet lines on the artifact?  Is there a crossing (vertical) line of rivets on the patch that is not present on the artifact? Is there a line staggered rivets along one edge? These are questions he should be able to answer. The big issue, of course, is establishing scale in the photographs.  The bowed/bulged shape of 2-2-V-1 complicates that process but he can correct for that.  He's going to give us a full written report with illustrations.

We've decided to go ahead with the hyperspectral imaging of the artifact.  We'll rent the camera for three days ($1,500).  Jeff will fly here ($500) and we'll do the work at the new TIGHAR HQ on August 27, 28, 29.  We'll have a reception/cook-out on the Friday afternoon and evening for anyone who wants to come and meet Jeff and talk about the project. Planning is still in the initial stages.  More to come, but if you think you might be able to attend let me know.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #331 on: July 28, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »

That is exciting news, Ric, thanks for passing this on.

If Jeff can reliably discern rivet patterns then we can know a great deal more!
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #332 on: July 29, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »

I need some input.  As you know, Artifact 2-2-V-1 appears to have the potential to be the long-sought smoking gun - a physical object found on Nikumaroro that can be conclusively linked to Amelia Earhart.  Specifically, it may be the patch that was installed in Miami. To clear that very high bar we'll need to be sure that we've answered every possible question about the artifact.  To that end, Jeff Glickman will be here at TIGHAR HQ on August 27 - 30 (Wed. though Saturday) to do hyperspectral imaging of the artifact.  We don't know what new information that technique may produce but it will sure be interesting to see.  Jeff's airfare from Seattle will cost about $650.  We're getting the rental of the hyperspectral imaging unit for $1,000 - a 30% discount. Who will help cover those costs?

As long as Jeff will be here, we want to give everyone a chance to meet him and discuss his work.  We also want to show off the new TIGHAR HQ.  We've never before had a facility where we can hold research meetings and social events.  It's still a work in progress (and will be for some time) but currently we can host upwards of about 12 people for meetings and meals in a beautiful country setting.  We're handy to Interstate 95 about an hour south of Philadelphia and an hour north of Baltimore. There are good hotels just a few minutes away.

The question is, what is practical to do?  What do you want?  An all day meeting followed by a barbecue in the evening?  That following Monday is Labor Day.  Is Friday better than Saturday so as not to interfere with Labor Day weekend plans? Is the timing just too short to do anything? Let us know how you feel.

Nate Pickering

• T1
« Reply #333 on: July 29, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »

A couple questions about 2-2-V-1:

1. Would this have been an item manufactured by Lockheed in a standard size/configuration and purpose-built for this specific type of modification, or would it have been fashioned individually, on an ad hoc basis, by the crew carrying out the repairs on NR16020?

2. Are there any known examples of other Electras on which the same modification was performed?

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #334 on: July 29, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »

I'm in.  How much per plate? :)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #335 on: July 29, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »

Nate -

1) Unique to Amelia and Fred's aircraft;
2) Not that I am aware of.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #336 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »

Since some of us lead quite lives and there won't be any huge family gatherings, I would opt for Saturday since it'd be an all day drive for me.

LTM, who puts coleslaw on his hotdogs,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
« Reply #337 on: July 29, 2014, 06:30:34 PM »

Itchin' to go, long drive and flying is out for now. Saturday great for me if can do.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #338 on: July 29, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »

Saturday is good for me too.

Karen Hoy #2610CER

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #339 on: July 30, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »

Saturday, August 30 it is.  We'll ask attendees to kick in $100 to cover beer expenses..  So far we have:
Ric Gillespie
Pat Thrasher
Jeff Glickman
Bill Mangus
Jeff Neville
Monty Fowler
Karen Hoy

I've signed and submitted the lease agreement for the SOC710-VP Multispectral Imaging unit.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:43:54 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Paul March

• T1
« Reply #340 on: July 30, 2014, 10:09:04 AM »

Unfortunately it is not possible for me to attend. However, it is assumed that those not attending are also encouraged to contribute funds  ;)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »

Unfortunately it is not possible for me to attend. However, it is assumed that those not attending are also encouraged to contribute funds  ;)

You must be psychic. ;D

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2014, 05:00:02 PM »

What time does the fun begin on Saturday?

Thanks,
Karen

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »

What time does the fun begin on Saturday?

Let's officially begin at 1PM but anyone is welcome to arrive earlier.  We'll be here and there's always plenty to do on a farm.  Dress is casual of course.  We'll spend the afternoon with Jeff and 2-2-V-1 discussing what we've learned and what to do next. Drinks and a cook-out in the evening.  We'll chase you out at 10 if you last that long.  I'll have hotel information for you soon.
We'll put out an invitation to the TIGHAR membership.  This is the first time we've tried something like this so I have no idea what kind of response we'll get. We have plenty of room so we can expand to meet demand.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #344 on: July 31, 2014, 05:36:20 AM »

Saturday, August 30 it is.  We'll ask attendees to kick in $100 to cover beer expenses..  So far we have:
Ric Gillespie
Pat Thrasher
Jeff Glickman
Bill Mangus
Jeff Neville
Monty Fowler
Karen Hoy

I've signed and submitted the lease agreement for the SOC710-VP Multispectral Imaging unit.

Much as I regret it, unrelenting work schedule is in the way - not going to be able to make this trip.

Really interested in what the rivet line traces can tell us as Glickman sorts out the imagery.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 85   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org