Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lambrecht Report - Signs of recent habitation  (Read 87018 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Lambrecht Report - Signs of recent habitation
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »

Help me out with this apparent contradiction.    Earhart was receiving the 7500kcs signal from Itasca at a time she was being heard S5 at Itasca, seemingly in the donut, 150-250 miles out.  But Hooven is emphatic about the loop antenna being unable to respond to only the strongest signals.  It would see to be a "pretty good" antenna if her loop was picking Itasca at a distance of 150-250 miles.   

The "donut" only applies to transmissions from the Electra.  Itasca can put out a good strong signal on 7500 kcs.  The aircraft's loop antenna can receive it just fine 150-250 miles away but the loop can't "get a minimum" (i.e. "home on") a signal on a frequency higher than 1500 ics.  Hence, "We heard your signal but unable to get a minimum."

Roger London

• T1
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2014, 07:55:31 AM »

Further to Tim Gard's message 24
>> By the time the Electra was swept away, exhaustion left the castaways in such state of despair that leaving markings took second priority to much needed rest. <<
 Fully with you on this Tim, and further; their social atmosphere cannot have been good. AE would have nobody else to blame for missing Howland than her hired navigator. AE's fortnight previous dysentery (which she can hardly have fully recovered from), then sleepless long-haul 24hours, exhaustion, tension, danger, panic, despair would all rule. Very heated exchanges could easily have taken place. Acrimony may have dominated. It is perfectly feasible that they opted to split once beach-bound. Makes sense for one to check the lagoon perimeter and the other the ocean for any sign of life or rescue. This would reduce their social tensions and give them individual focus and allow any disrobing, injuries permitting. To hike 4 to 10 miles in their flying clobber would have been intolerably hot and riddled with abrasive shingle beach-sand and dried salt . . . MOST uncomfortable! Will any TIGHAR Niku8 missionary try this please?
A fantastic project, Roger

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2014, 08:04:24 AM »

If Betty's Notebook is any indication, there was plenty of interpersonal tension, but the dysentery is a myth.  Both AE and FN seem to have had some indigestion on the day following a super-spicy traditional meal in Java but the dysentery story is an invention of a few Earhart biographers.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »

From a previous thread "Newspaper Account From Darwin" a couple of images of Amelia in Darwin Australia preparing for the next leg of the journey to Lae. Reports of 'stomach cramps and Diarrhoea' but not dysentery.

http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,1327.msg27622.html#msg27622

Diarrhoea caused by contaminated food or water while visiting a foreign country is often known as travellers' diarrhoea. Other possible causes of short-term diarrhoea include:
•emotional upset or anxiety
•drinking too much coffee or alcohol
•a food allergy

She looks tired, thin and burnt out in these photos taken at Darwin

This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »

They didn't fly in proper gear in order to save weight so clothing was casual, Secondly  they would not have split up as they wold not know the island was human free an Noonan survived 3 previous ships sinking an Amelia had crossed Atlantic  which was 2024 miles so there is no reason to speculate they would turn on each other prob be opposite they would have appreciated each others company  :)

Thanks Richie 

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2014, 04:10:02 AM »

Noonan survived 3 previous ships sinking

Richie,

A piece of the puzzle I was looking for.

The Seven Site shows the organisation of those experienced with camping out and survival as opposed to being totally haphazard.

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2014, 09:56:33 AM »

I don't think overhead views of our clearing and excavation of the Seven Site are going to be of much use in assessing the castaway(s)' survival skills.  If does seem apparent to me that whoever was trying to survive there had figured how to:
• make a fire
• make a spear or spears using the blades removed from a pocket knife
• catch, prepare and cook small fish, sea birds, and the occasional turtle
• collect and open clams
• collect, boil and store rainwater for drinking

The selection of the site itself shows some good thinking. Handy to both ocean and lagoon, on a ridge to take advantage of easterly breezes, bordering a Buka forest where large fallen leaves and bowl-like depressions in tree roots make it possible to collect rainwater after a squall (been there, done that), trees to climb to watch the horizon for ships.

Personally, I think AE did all this on her own.  I don't think Noonan lasted long and may have died in the plane.  AE had some camping experience but most of what we see at the Seven Site seems to me to simply be the work of an intelligent, highly motivated person.

Chris Owens

• T2
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »

With all due respect, the poster made an assessment having never been there.  So I must believe that said assessment was made from looking at the overhead views. 

Possibly he made the assessment after having read the detailed and voluminous reports prepared by people who had been there?   To me, the assessment that someone who camped there knew what they were doing is entirely consistent with the material that has been reported. 

Why the gratuitous hostility?

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »

• catch, prepare and cook small fish, sea birds, and the occasional turtle

Ric,

In one video a suggestion existed that 2 people may have been needed to transport the turtle carcass(es).

What's your current view on this?

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:05:36 PM by Tim Gard »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »

In one video a suggestion existed that 2 people may have been needed to transport the turtle carcass(es).

The turtle bones we have are probably from Cholonia mydas  (common green turtle) or, less likely, Caretta caretta (logger head turtle).

The curious thing is that we have only fragments of the carapace (shell), no vertebrae, skull elements or limb bones.  It may be that only the shell was brought to the campsite, most logically as a container for catching rainwater.  One person could carry a large turtle shell.

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »

The turtle bones we have are probably from Cholonia mydas  (common green turtle) or, less likely, Caretta caretta (logger head turtle).

The curious thing is that we have only fragments of the carapace (shell), no vertebrae, skull elements or limb bones.  It may be that only the shell was brought to the campsite, most logically as a container for catching rainwater.  One person could carry a large turtle shell.

Many thanks.

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Ross Devitt

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »

We used to open those big shells by bashing the parts connecting the top of the shell to the bottom with a rock.
The curved top part does make a good bowl and on a fresh kill can be heavy, but a weakened castaway could still drag one a few metres each time they walked past it to the beach.

Just a thought..

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2014, 09:20:54 AM »

How much of such a critter could one, or possibly two, castaways actually consume before it 'went south' (spoiled)?

Would there be a point in a 'weakened castaway' actually doing the full meal deal of separating the shell halves, or would be as practical to dig out some select meat for consumption before abandoning the carcass to spoilage (which I am guessing would happen within a few hours in that place)?

Point being, what would be the logical condition of turtle remains were they harvested by a lone (or two) castaway(s) for sustainence?  'Fully dressed', or just hacked at and abandoned?  I've never eaten one of those, but from the look of it I'd be tempted to worry a leg off or something and pork out on that and let the remainder go to the crabs; repeat same in a few days as opportunity allowed. 

It occurs too - no game wardens out there to worry about if you're a 1937 era castaway...  ;)
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »

How to butcher a turtle - 5 slides

OK not a sea turtle but......

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2014, 10:34:12 AM »

We have video from the 1989 expedition of the Fijian crew of Pacific Nomad (our expedition vessel for that trip) butchering a large sea turtle they caught.  I won't post the video because I can't stand to watch it.  They lay the turtle on its back, still very much alive, and proceed to cut with a knife around the edge of the shell where the bottom plate joins the top part.  Then they pull off the bottom plate exposing the turtles insides.  All the while the poor thing is enduring its butchering with an expression of resigned agony. 
I wasn't present when this was done or I would have stopped it.  Our dive team leader on that trip filmed it out of curiosity about native ways.  You don't want to know what I think of native ways.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org