Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Geraldine Mock, "the flying housewife", has died at 88  (Read 5815 times)

Richard Lyon Metzger

• TIGHAR member
Geraldine Mock, "the flying housewife", has died at 88
« on: October 01, 2014, 03:35:49 PM »

Geraldine "Jerrie" Mock, the first woman to fly solo around the world, has died at the age of 88, a family friend said on Wednesday.

Mock, a Newark, Ohio, native known as "the flying housewife," died in her Florida home on Tuesday, said the friend, Mary Kelley.

Mock was 38 on March 19, 1964, when she took off from Columbus, Ohio, in a 1953 Cessna 180 single-engine monoplane named the "Spirit of Columbus," according to the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum Archives.

Twenty-nine days and 23,103 miles (37,180 km) later, the five-foot (1.5-metre), 100-pound (45-kg) mother of three landed safely back in Columbus, 27 years after Amelia Earhart's much more famous - albeit unsuccessful - attempt to circle the globe.

Tim Gard

• T3
Re: Geraldine Mock, "the flying housewife", has died at 88
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 04:13:26 PM »

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »

Her son was my roommate in Basic Training at Ft. Dix, NJ in 1970. Great guy and very proud of his mother. I think his first name was Jerry just like his Mom but I'm not sure.  In Basic everyone was known by their last name because it was printed on your fatigues. If you had a nickname it was some derivation of your last name.  I was "Gill." (Later, that changed to "Sir.")

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 12:31:21 PM »

Another person who definitely had The Right Stuff. Godspeed, Jerrie.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org