Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Wing Flap  (Read 131883 times)

john a delsing

• T2
  • Minnesota Johnny D.
Re: Possible Wing Flap
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »

Charlie Chisholm, Welcome Back!

I was dismayed when you told Richie that you were "done".

(I think, though, that you may owe Ric an apology).

Tim,
  I don't think you should be the one telling other members who owes Ric an aplology
The Earth is Full

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:06 AM »

Charlie Chisholm, Welcome Back!

I was dismayed when you told Richie that you were "done".

(I think, though, that you may owe Ric an apology).

Tim,
  I don't think you should be the one telling other members who owes Ric an aplology

F-a-c-e-t-i-o-u-s, Mr. Delsing.

Have we all depleted our reserve of humor?

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2013, 04:25:51 AM »

Long time reader, first time poster.  I believe it's a good thing people post things they notice in the research footage/scans, however questionable.

Sorry, everybody, but I feel I must bring the following to your attention: a newly discovered aircraft component from the 2012 Extra High Definition video that bears a remarkable resemblance to a wing flap, standing upright, with the trailing edge up. 

Going back to the original post by Mr. Mellon, just wanted to get my 2 cents in, no matter how repetitive.  I see that there is much nitpicking (and cherry picking) past statements or assumptions made in previous posts/topics/publications to try to emphasize what someone really meant or thought was meant.  Mr. Mellon is very articulate, albeit lacking in rationality in some instances.  First, in the above quote, it seems to resemble a news headline starting off with the bold statement, "a newly discovered aircraft component..." Of course it more appropriate as, "a newly discovered anomaly that bears a resemblance..." Anyway this is just a nitpicking of the original statement of this topic that goes to show statements can be misconstrued as fact even if they weren't meant as such.   

However, I've never seen a piece of coral with two straight parallel edges, each perpendicular to a third edge, and the one edge looking almost razor-sharp.

Argument from ignorance.  No offense... not saying that what you really mean is "therefore it must be this [aileron]."  I'm confident if all the ocean's floors were mapped in fine detail, probability would provide many an example of razor sharp or out of the ordinary coral forms.  I did some quick google searches and found many an example.

My solution to the original poster's finding is to, once noticing an object of interest, let it go to the experts to decide whether it's worthy of on site inspection.  That's that.  As to scale, leave to qualified experts.  Having a degree in architecture only gets me so far in discerning scale based on context lacking images. That's why us architecture students put fake people in our renderings... to give an idea of scale in our designs!

Nitpickingly yours,
Greg L.

Points well taken, Greg. I am guilty of some sloppiness in my enthusiasm.

"Argument from ignorance" may be a tad strong: after all, the statement begins "I've never seen...."

I have seen my share of coral.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2013, 06:32:20 AM »

Lots of possibilities for debate though - the thing might even be a rune stone for all we know...  ;)

(We call them the Redskins now).
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2013, 11:31:56 AM »

Jeff
Perhaps you should read about Saint Brendan's Voyage. Circa 500 AD.  Monks sailing in a leather ship from Eireland to the "New World".  And let's not forget Hyerdahl on a balsa raft, and a papyrus ship.  Mankind had been sailing from East to West for a long time before a certain Italian who probably read about St Brendan, and Leif Erickson, Circa 1000 AD, when he (Columbus, whose name was Colon) was studying navigation (and didn't learn his lessons too well, hehe) .

I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising, adventurous soul had carved a boat of sorts out of a log and headed West to where the Dragons (beyond this point there be Dragons) lived.  Just to see what happened to that humungus ball of fire after it fell over the edge, hehe.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »

What do potatoes have to do with anything?

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »

What do potatoes have to do with anything?

Nothing really hint, Duck if you see flying scouser

weave if ye was
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:12:52 PM by richie conroy »

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »

Jeff
With respect to Rune Stones (especially The Rune Stone in Minnesota)  It isn't much of a st retch to imagine a group of expert sailors (called The Vikings) "Sailing Latitude"off the southern tip of Iceand to the southern tip of Greenland and then westward.  Eventually they would have sailed into a large bay that we now call Ungava Bay that leads into Hudson's Strait which leads into what we now call Hudson's Bay.  Sailing latitude across Hudson's Bay leads one to the mouths of three large rivers (the Hays, The Gods, and the Nelson) Couldn't miss them if ya tried!  Follow any of them up river ad ya get to Lake Winnipeg.  Paddle/sail down that Lake and ya get to the Red River of the North, which leads to the Minnesota River.  Well ya get the idea, if not , read Eric Sevareid's book "Canoeing With The Cree for a description of his trip in the opposite direction.
No Worries Mates

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »

Inland waterways were one of the 'Vikings' main entry routes.  It was only when the French bridged the Seine that Paris was made safer from their attentions.

History likes to claim Columbus found America but the evidence suggests at least the Vikings if not others got there first.

In fact  CC didn't even set foot on the mainland!!!

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2013, 05:18:41 PM »

In the book "St Brendan's Voyage" ( I'll have to look forthe author) it is stated or implied that Brendan's  manuscript report was well known in and around navigational schools of the time (and later) that the Vatican (read The Pope) confiscated it and buried it in the Vatican Archives  Typical governmental response to things that it sees as detrimental to its status quo. ( Can't have "The Flock" going around thinking there is an unexplored world out there somewhere, they might want to go there.)
No Worries Mates

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »

This thread has clearly exhausted itself and has wandered far off topic.  The thread is now locked.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org