Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Photos Study Group  (Read 185981 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: 1938 Photos Study Group
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »

In regards to Ric's response on the upcoming court motion to dismiss and the refraining of Mr. Mellon from further Tighar research...I firmly approve of his response and comments in regards to this matter. I think Ric made it clear, that we have gone too far to have the image of this organization tarnished because of something that is beyond our control. When I say that...I mainly am addressing you Mr.Mellon. We all know that you have played an elite member and donor of Tighar for years. We all know that you have been a part of one of the many expedition teams to Niku. For many of us, would have loved to have gone on one of those expeditions...but you were chosen because of your contribution and your knowledge of this project. That my friend says alot! But, I have to step back and wonder...Is it because you didn't take anything back on this last expedition you were on? I say that with an openness of a friend. We as TIGHAR members are all friends. We are here for one common goal and that is to find the final puzzle of Amelia last days. There are times in our lives when we want to find something really bad and we will go to any length to find it. But along the way there are dangers and snares that come our way...and sometimes we are left holding the bag empty. I feel that this happened in your life.  I know to some of us, when the team went to Niku last summer, many of us wondered ourselves if we would solve any answers with having to come back home early. I can imagine having to be the captain at the helm and his thoughts. He too must have had the same thoughts. But, we as TIGHAR friends and members have to get past those times, the dangers, and the snares. We have to go on with life and pursue the goal. We will find her...but we also need your help! So I ask of you to drop these allegations against TIGHAR and help us to complete the final chapter of Amelia's life! Thanks!!!!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »

We all know that you have played an elite member and donor of Tighar for years.

That is not correct.  Tim Mellon had no association with TIGHAR whatsoever until last April.  He made his million-dollar contribution eight days after his first contact with TIGHAR and a month before ever meeting me. If that seems strange to you, you are not alone.
TIGHAR has many generous major donors who have demonstrated great loyalty to the organization over many years.  Tim Mellon is not one of them.

but you were chosen because of your contribution and your knowledge of this project.

Tim Mellon was not "chosen" to be member of the expedition team.  I understood it to be a condition of his contribution.  He had, and has, little knowledge of the project.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:32:57 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Bill de Creeft

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »

You have shown remarkable restraint, Ric, and I compliment you...you and and the rest of you  devoted hardworkers of Tighar Patience, good manners, good humor, and Grace Under Pressure !?!
Makes one long for the days when differences of this sort were handled through Seconds, and the choice of weapons.
Har! Har!
Bill
Bill de Creeft

Tighar Member #4131

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2013, 06:57:22 PM »

You have shown remarkable restraint, Ric, and I compliment you...you and and the rest of you  devoted hardworkers of Tighar Patience, good manners, good humor, and Grace Under Pressure !?!
Makes one long for the days when differences of this sort were handled through Seconds, and the choice of weapons.
Har! Har!
Bill

Yeah.  Pity.  I'm not bad with a broadsword.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »

Ric,

I'd like to be a part of the study group. I have the necessary hardware as listed.

-Wayne C.

I'll send you an invitation to the Dropbox and directions on how to register for the Study Group forum.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »

My apologies Ric! I've been under the impressions for quite sometime
That Mr. Mellon played a vital role in a recent expedition from
Comments that he had made. For some reason now...I feel mislead led astray from his comments. Anyway please forgive me on this matter.

Gary L Kerr

• T1
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »

Ric
Please consider me for the study group. I have required hardware,
software and I am at researcher level membership. Nice speaking with
you last week !
Gary
TIGHAR #4305R

Terry Ginelli

• T1
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »

Ric,
I have the required hardware/software and would be interested in the study group.

Thanks,

Terry

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »

I have the required hardware/software and would be interested in the study group.

Thanks Terry.  I'll send you an invitation to the Dropbox and the Study Group.

Adam Marsland

• T2
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2013, 01:25:10 AM »

Ric --

It looks like because of (upward) changes in my fortunes I'll be able to kick in a little more to TIGHAR, and can definitely swing Researcher.  I looked at the specs carefully and did some research...what it appears to me is that I would be able to open and examine the 16 bit TIFFs on my computer but it would not be an optimal situation (that is to say, the specs are the average of one below what Jeff recommends).

Would it be possible to access and download the 16 bit TIFFs anyway (once I have fulfilled the Researcher requirement, of course), and just not count myself as part of the study group?  I definitely understand what you mean about not muddying the waters.  I'd consider my participation to be on the level of looking at the jpegs on Flickr, except having a better shot at actually seeing something.

I will abide by whatever works best for TIGHAR.  Thanks...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:35:23 AM by Adam Marsland »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »

Would it be possible to access and download the 16 bit TIFFs anyway (once I have fulfilled the Researcher requirement, of course), and just not count myself as part of the study group?  I definitely understand what you mean about not muddying the waters.  I'd consider my participation to be on the level of looking at the jpegs on Flickr, except having a better shot at actually seeing something.

I will abide by whatever works best for TIGHAR.  Thanks...

I appreciate your desire to help but if I give you access to the 16bit TIFFs I have to do the same for all TIGHAResearchers and suddenly we'll have hundreds of cooks stirring the broth.
There are currently about 20 members in the Study Group and they're doing a great job. We have plenty of eyeballs on the imagery. The challenge is figuring out what is real and what is illusion.

Adam Marsland

• T2
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »

Understood.  I'll be glad to be able to help a bit more financially than I have up to this point, anyway.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2013, 06:28:32 AM »

I know Ric has said be patient but ANY NEWS?????

The study group has, cumulatively, spent many hundreds of hours scouring the 1938 photos.  The level of detail to which they have scrutinized the photos is truly impressive. To date they've found and discussed 26 anomalies, odd shapes, and suspicious-looking features.  Some are flaws in the developing process or coincidental alignments of the film grain. Others are patterns in the vegetation that the brain interprets as recognizable shapes. We have a couple of really dramatic examples that demonstrate how easily the brain is fooled into seeing things that aren't there. We do have a few identifiable man-made objects on the ground.  (For example, Richie found one of Norwich City lifeboats.)  A few anomalies need further analysis by Jeff Glickman. 
Bottom line at this time:  This has been a tremendously useful and educational exercise but, so far, no conclusive sign of castaway activity has turned up.

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2013, 07:47:14 AM »

How different does the Seven Site look at full res?  The big ren tree?  Amazing that a Norwich City lifeboat was found, I'd love to see that.  Might there be a day when these images are released to the public?  Perhaps far down the road, after you (we?) prove Niku is where Amelia and Fred ended up?

what is real and what is illusion.

Moody Blues fan?   ;)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2013, 08:45:22 AM »

How different does the Seven Site look at full res?

Not very.  The big difference is that we have several different views of the area. That let's us confirm or deny a suspicious feature that might turn up in a single image.

The big ren tree?

Your question is a classic example of how mythology has grown up within The Earhart Project. There is a single "big ren" tree at the Seven Site now but Gallagher says only that the bones were found a under a ren tree - not a "big ren."  The whole area was forest in 1938.  There is no single big tree apparent in the 1938 photos. 

Amazing that a Norwich City lifeboat was found, I'd love to see that.

See below.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org