Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: The most perplexing issues  (Read 158658 times)

Stacy Galloway

• T2
Re: The most perplexing issues
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »

Stacy,

what do you think of my 2011 suggestion (https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,279.0.html) that "281 N" was only a mistranscription of "NOONAN" ? The idea is that "OO" is a pair of 3 dashes, very likely to shift the listener's ear to understanding numbers, for so long series of dashes will only be found inside numbers, except for the "OO" case. "28", by the way, is the only pair of numbers that produces adjacent 3-dash series. "1" will then follow as a misreading of "A", if the dash was made too long and/or fragmented, due to the awkwardness of the operator.

I would of course not bet too much on the idea. This is just to insist on the idea that wondering what "281 N" meant may be nonsense, given the probability that no "281 N" was actually sent.

Yet, if I remember properly, Itasca rushed to this supposed position when the message was repeated to them ... Another mystery is why this "poorly keyed" position was considered so reliable by professional operators.

Christophe Blondel

Absolutely, I agree that 281 N could have been a mistranscription of Noonan. As so many have mentioned in the previous posts, there is so much ambiguity to this message that many of the 'dashes' could have been 'dots' and vice versa.

Several of the credible post loss messages were partial messages that faded in and out. Based on that, and the fact that neither AE nor FN were proficient in Morse Code, the chances are relatively high that the message received was garbled, incomplete, and possibly not sequential- especially if they were repeating it over and over.

I do wonder what AE and FN would have thought to put in such an important message.  They know the radio will become unusable soon, yet they want to send something that will be received by someone. Do they put their names? Location? Name the island? The shipwreck? What do you put in such and important-last-ditch-effort of a message?

Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the radio rooms while this message was being received... Or better yet, to get our hands on the original log.

LTM~ Who wouldn't swat that fly,
Stacy
TIGHAR #4284R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2013, 01:27:20 AM »

without the actual logs from the receiving station it is completely bunk

Brings to mind the STENDEC/Star Dust mystery.

LTM, who remembers what SOS is in Morse code,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER

Today is the aniversary of the planes loss.

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »

Absolutely, I agree that 281 N could have been a mistranscription of Noonan. As so many have mentioned in the previous posts, there is so much ambiguity to this message that many of the 'dashes' could have been 'dots' and vice versa.

I think it highly unlikely the "281" is actually "Noonan". It is important to remember that the radio crews listening for the messages were experienced CW operators and would be unlikely to make such mistakes very often. It seems far more likely that it was "281" that was sent, since Niku is 281 miles from the equator.  The word "Noonan" was probably never sent, by CW or voice, in any of the transmissions, because there are so many other, better, things to transmit if you want to get rescued. The call sign KHAQQ is the most likely thing to be sent, along with location indicators, and their status at the time (water rising, not much time left, etc). There would really be no reason to transmit "Noonan", especially in crude Morse code.

The "North" after the number 281 was probably received much later.

I am an Extra Class Amateur Radio operator and I operate CW exclusively. My call is WD7J. I know from experience that when copying weak signals, you write down something when you recognize the letters. All the time in between when you can't make out what they are saying, you write down nothing. Most operators leave a small space to indicate this, but nothing more. So it is no surprise at all that the 281 message was reported as "281 North" by the officials reviewing the radio log (who were not themselves CW operators). But it definitely does not mean that the "North" was transmitted immediately after the "281". It could have been from a few seconds, to many minutes later. It could have been 30 minutes later.

Just sayin'

- 73 de Charlie WD7J

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »

Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the radio rooms while this message was being received... Or better yet, to get our hands on the original log.

Dang, where DID I put those keys to the 'ole Time Machine?!!   ;)

LTM, who loved to take nice long trips to interesting places.

dp

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »

I think it highly unlikely the "281" is actually "Noonan". It is important to remember that the radio crews listening for the messages were experienced CW operators and would be unlikely to make such mistakes very often. It seems far more likely that it was "281" that was sent, since Niku is 281 miles from the equator.  The word "Noonan" was probably never sent, by CW or voice, in any of the transmissions, because there are so many other, better, things to transmit if you want to get rescued. The call sign KHAQQ is the most likely thing to be sent, along with location indicators, and their status at the time (water rising, not much time left, etc). There would really be no reason to transmit "Noonan", especially in crude Morse code.

The "North" after the number 281 was probably received much later.

I am an Extra Class Amateur Radio operator and I operate CW exclusively. My call is WD7J. I know from experience that when copying weak signals, you write down something when you recognize the letters. All the time in between when you can't make out what they are saying, you write down nothing. Most operators leave a small space to indicate this, but nothing more. So it is no surprise at all that the 281 message was reported as "281 North" by the officials reviewing the radio log (who were not themselves CW operators). But it definitely does not mean that the "North" was transmitted immediately after the "281". It could have been from a few seconds, to many minutes later. It could have been 30 minutes later.

Just sayin'

- 73 de Charlie WD7J

I believe they were trying to get the attention of anyone and everyone who may have been able to pick up their signals. So, I beg to differ, but I believe that 'Noonan' and 'Earhart' would have been just as effective to send as 'water rising' and 'not much time left'. Noonan may or may not be a mistranscription of 281 N, but as I stated in my post, I believe several dots and dashes were ambiguous.

I do agree with you that location and call sign would have been a priority to send (along with the simple SOS).

I also believe that part of the problem with the '281' message is that is was sent in crude Morse Code and picked up by professionals.  The professionals might have done exactly what you stated "...that when copying weak signals, you write down something when you recognize the letters. All the time in between when you can't make out what they are saying, you write down nothing..." I didn't realize that operators leave a 'space' to indicate weak or indecipherable signal. I wonder how many spaces were in that log?

I appreciate your experience as a radio operator. Are you part of the group in Texas who are testing the post loss signals at Niku? It sounds like a fascinating experience for those involved.

LTM~ Who wants to help Dave Potratz find the keys to that time machine,
Stacy
TIGHAR #4284R

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:46:26 PM by Stacy Galloway »

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »

I believe that 'Noonan' and 'Earhart' would have been just as effective to send as 'water rising' and 'not much time left'.

Beg to differ. KHAQQ is much shorter and by itself indicates who is sending the signals. There is no benefit to spelling out the names Earhart or Noonan, especially when we are talking about keying a hand mic to send the code. I've sent code with a hand mic and it's no fun, and more difficult than it seems. The whole reason they were sending code had to be because they either had lost the capability to send voice, such as a waterlogged mic element, or they didn't believe the voice signals were making it through (they may have heard reports in the receiver about people hearing carriers but no voice, or unreadable voice).

I believe several dots and dashes were ambiguous.

I also believe that part of the problem with the '281' message is that is was sent in crude Morse Code and picked up by professionals.

I guess I just give the professional operators more credit for having the ability to recognize when characters were possibly ambiguous or not, and I guess I give the professional operators more credit for being able to take into account the fact that they were dealing with crude code.  I'm sure they took that into account in what they wrote down. They were experienced in copying all levels of code, from fast, perfect 40 WPM code from strong fixed stations, to weak, watery signals from non-professionals. The entire spectrum of skill levels were in plentiful supply in 1937 and I think they were able to take into account the fact they were dealing with an inexperienced operator sending in crude code.

I didn't realize that operators leave a 'space' to indicate weak or indecipherable signal. I wonder how many spaces were in that log?

It would be great to see that log!

Most operators would leave a longer space than a space between words (I do) and some use dots or a very long dash to indicate periods of time when nothing was copyable (I used to). The log if handwritten would show much more and would be invaluable.

The main problem I have with the "281" being "Noonan" is in order to do that, you have to throw away "281". So you are trading away a very strong indication, that they would be likely to send (since they were sitting 281 miles from the equator) for an unlikely possibility that they would take the time and effort to spell out their personal names when not necessary. And in the process throwing the professional operators under the bus and assuming they didn't know what they were doing. It seems like a contortion to get away from what they reported they heard, which is 281.

Sometimes things really are what they seem to be - I think they heard "281".

Not a part of the effort in Texas although that would be one heck of a DXPedition to go on!

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »

The main problem I have with the "281" being "Noonan" is in order to do that, you have to throw away "281". So you are trading away a very strong indication, that they would be likely to send (since they were sitting 281 miles from the equator) for an unlikely possibility that they would take the time and effort to spell out their personal names when not necessary. And in the process throwing the professional operators under the bus and assuming they didn't know what they were doing. It seems like a contortion to get away from what they reported they heard, which is 281.

Not a part of the effort in Texas although that would be one heck of a DXPedition to go on!

This is why I love this forum~ there is so much to learn from everyone :)

I certainly did not mean to throw the professional operators under the bus... I truly believe they did the best they could with the crudely coded message. I was trying to say that they~ receiving a difficult message~ would have known and transcribed what they thought was being sent. For instance the 'N' for North. It was mentioned upthread that we do not know if it was 'N', 'North', or, as you mentioned, a gap between '281' and 'N'. Being professionals an 'N' would be 'North' because that's what is 'usually' means. So, 'N' (gap, weak signal, long pause) becomes 'North'.

I understand what you mean by the trade-off (281 for Noonan). For the purpose of my little Morse Code exercise upthread, I threw everything out except KHAQQ. When asked if I thought 281 could be replaced by Noonan, I absolutely agreed. When dots and dashes get misconstued, of course it can become Noonan. We just don't know. I also believe SOS is somewhere in that message, along with their position and anything that would identify themselves to anyone. Do I think the receivers botched the whole message? No, of course not.

The receivers of this message are to be applauded for getting anything out of it at all. So, to that end, I appreciate that the professionals did receive it, could make something of it, and it became another~ puzzling~ clue to this disappearance.

A more puzzling clue is what was originally sent. Wouldn't that be great to find somewhere on the island? Scribbled Morse Code messages on Fred Noonan's maps... If only paper didn't disintegrate after 70+ years :)

LTM~ Who doesn't want things to disappear,
Stacy
TIGHAR #4284R

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »

The only source for the "281 message" (Post-Loss Radio Catalog, entry 125) is a message received by Itasca from Coast Guard Radio in Honolulu reporting something heard by Navy Radio Wailupe (near Honolulu).  We don't have anything from the operators who actually heard the message. . .We've looked for the Wailupe log but no joy.

Has anyone been able to take a look at the Navy communications records held by the National Archives, especially the records previously held at Crane Naval Security Group (CNSG) at Crane, Indiana yet?  Several items on TIGHAR website indicate the Crane records hadn't been searched; the "Captain Laurence F. Safford" entry in Ameliapedia as an example.  Per a related National Archives research paper compendium (in particular see pages 117-119) the great bulk of the Crane records are declassified, filed under "Office of the Chief of Naval Operations" (Record Group 38) and available for viewing.

If nobody has had occasion to search yet, a quick search of NARA's on-line catalog within Record Group 38, refined by date 1930-1939 and the search term "radio" reveals several holdings that might be worth the trip to NARA-College Park, MD have a look - examples:

41. Records of Inactive Naval Stations, 1941 - 1945
National Archives Identifier: 6210255
HMS Entry Number: A1 27
Creator(s): Department of the Navy. Office of the Chief of Naval Operations. Division of Naval Communications. Communications Intelligence Organization. (10/20/1942 - 07/09/1946)
 or compiled by American naval installations, including naval radio stations (NRS), naval supplementary radio stations (NSRS), naval radio direction finding and high
http://research.archives.gov/description/6210255

5750/1 - Naval Radio Station - Wailupe - General History, Sept. 1927 - Oct. 1943 (1 of 2),
National Archives Identifier: 6229864HMS Entry Number: A1 27
Creator(s): Department of the Navy. Office of the Chief of Naval Operations. Division of Naval Communications. Communications Intelligence Organization. (10/20/1942 - 07/09/1946)
6210255 File
http://research.archives.gov/description/6229864

If we haven't searched, and the bug doesn't bite anyone I'll see about finding a day to go over next time I'm headed up to DC.

Sincerely, John
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:39:21 PM by John Balderston »

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2013, 08:54:19 PM »

5750/1 - Naval Radio Station - Wailupe - General History, Sept. 1927 - Oct. 1943

Regarding the potential that the National Archives now holds the Radio Wailupe log book, it's possible that other radio units in Hawaii copied the "281 North" transmission.  To sort out Navy radio in Hawaii circa 1937, in addition to the helpful TIGHAR "Wailupe" Ameliapedia entry, I dusted off the relevant history on my shelves (most helpful - Layton "I Was There", Carlson "Joe Rochefort's War", Prados "Combined Fleet Decoded" and Holmes "Double-Edged Secrets") and checked out NSA's on-line history of Navy Cryptology, Frederick D. Parker "Pearl Harbor Revisited: United States Navy Communications Intelligence 1924-1941".

Naval Radio Station Wailupe was in operation from 1925 to 1943.  In 1931 the Navy's communications intelligence department "OP-20-G" established a Communications Intelligence Unit (CIU) co-located with the normal Navy radio crew at Wailupe.  The CIU's job was to analyze radio traffic in the western Pacific, especially movements of the Imperial Japanese Navy.  In 1934 the CIU as well as Wailupe's direction-finding (DF) equipment was moved to Naval Radio Station Heeia at Kaneohe Bay on the windward (north) side of Oahu, a location which was determined to have better reception.  It was also located in close proximity to the Pan American Airways High Frequency Direction Finding (HFDF) station on Mokapu Point.  Bottom line - it's possible that the NRS Heeia and OP-20-G CIU logs, which were classified secret and held at Crane, Indiana until recently transferred to the National Archives at College Park, MD, may also contain entries on the "281 North" message as well as the other potential AE transmissions DF'd by PAA Mokapu.  Definitely worth checking out.

As an anti-climax, to finish sorting out the Hawaii radio story, in 1939 the OP-20-G CIU moved from NRS Heeia to the basement of the old administration building at Pearl Harbor.  NRS Heeia sent a truck morning and evening to deliver radio intercepts for analysis.  The CIU, which became known as "Station Hypo (H for Hawaii or Heeia)" in Washington, stayed at Pearl Harbor until after the Dec. 7 1941 attack, when the Navy decided to consolidate radio operations at Fleet Radio Unit Pacific (FRUPAC) at Wahiawa, in the central valley of Oahu.  At that time the Navy handed Wailupe over to the U.S. Coast Guard, which used it as a training facility.  In 1943 the Coast Guard demolished RCS Wailupe and build a new facility, which is still in use today. Eventually OP-20-G was renamed "Naval Security Group", and was later consolidated into the National Security Agency (NSA).

v/r JB
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:04:48 AM by John Balderston »

Scott Doudrick

• T1
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »

Like this one in particular?
This item is the original radio log of Amelia Earhart's last communications with the US Coast Guard cutter Itasca. Also included are notes and edits to the log by the radioman Leo G. Bellarts. The last communication occurred on 8:43 am on July 2. 1937, as indicated on the log.
http://research.archives.gov/description/6210268

Or is it just the same as this?

http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,479.msg5989.html#msg5989

Christine Schulte

• T1
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2013, 06:26:23 AM »

I agree that “281” is a crucial piece of information, but I just re-read the original “Project notes” from 1993 and realized that getting that piece of information involves a relatively unhurt, fully functioning Fred Noonan getting out of the plane with his octant and his navigation handbook, establishing the sun’s position at its highest point and looking up the latitude to go with it. In the light about what has come to light since 1993 about the shape the aircraft and AE/FN seem to have been in, that doesn’t seem very likely, or does it?
(Another crucial piece of information would have been that they followed “the line 157/337”. The person Dana Randolph and Betty heard never mentioned that, and the “281” doesn’t come up in Betty’s transcript, either. The person Betty heard transmitted a lot of figures that no one has been able to make sense of so far, and comes across as having no idea where she is at all. This makes me think that maybe FN was incapacitated in the landing and AE went over his notes and transmitted anything she could find in the hope that somebody listening could interpret it correctly. Of course, that makes it even more unlikely that they had the information about being 281 nms south of the equator.)

This is why I love this forum~ there is so much to learn from everyone

There really is a lot to learn here and what Charlie and Kevin write makes me realise that my picture of Morse code is wrong. I’ve always pictured it as very technical but it’s obviously much more “alive” and the radio operator receiving code has a very active role. In fact, it sounds a bit like simultaneous translation. I’ve had some impromptu experience with that and relaying information between people who don’t have a language in common has made me realise that it’s sometimes hard to fight the impulse to “improve” a statement - and unconsciously change it - by substituting obvious nonsense with what makes sense in the context. Does that also apply to a Morse code “translator” (and could that have contributed to “North” getting into the message)?

(This is beside the point but the world flight obviously took place at a time when communication technology on long-distance flights was in a period of very rapid transition – in 1927 most competitors for the Orteig Prize thought a radio wasn’t worth taking along; so did the pilots of the Friendship flight in 1928.  By the time the war in the Pacific started a specialised radio operator who handled voice and code communication had become standard. I’d love to know more about the period in between, perhaps somebody could suggest some further reading?)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »

I’d love to know more about the period in between, perhaps somebody could suggest some further reading?)

Christine, I agree with your assessment. 

For an excellent history of the evolution of aviation communications in the U.S. I recommend Bonfires to Beacons.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »

There really is a lot to learn here and what Charlie and Kevin write makes me realise that my picture of Morse code is wrong. I’ve always pictured it as very technical but it’s obviously much more “alive” and the radio operator receiving code has a very active role. In fact, it sounds a bit like simultaneous translation. I’ve had some impromptu experience with that and relaying information between people who don’t have a language in common has made me realise that it’s sometimes hard to fight the impulse to “improve” a statement - and unconsciously change it - by substituting obvious nonsense with what makes sense in the context. Does that also apply to a Morse code “translator” (and could that have contributed to “North” getting into the message)?

Christine, I was just looking at some of the old Forum highlights from back in August 2000, and with your post of this morning fresh in mind, I was struck by how it resonates with something in an old post that I encountered. While your thoughts arise from CW messages and the "281 North" matter, the following quote from a post made by Forum member Ross Devitt gives a faint echo of the same idea. (In Ross' case, he was mentioning the matter of whether Itasca's radio operator had heard AE say -- in a voice transmission -- she was "circling" or "listening" or "drifting" ... which tracks back to the TIGHAR analysis of the original Itasca radio room logs that show erasure of the original verb and substitution by another had taken place. Here's a link to a TIGHAR webpage titled "Log Jam" that's simply a transcription of an article in the October 1996 issue of TIGHAR Tracks ... scroll down to "Itasca Primary Radio Log entry for 07:58 a.m. July 2, 1937".)

When somebody transcribes a radio converstion had by other people, and considering the probable lack quality of the reception of that conversation on the equipment of that era and the many distractions of the moment, there is going to be some possibility of error in the transcription.

Under normal circumstances, one would simply ask the other party to repeat the message for the sake of clarity. In Earhart's case, with only one way communications, what was thought to be heard was written, then perhaps after some discussion as to intent of the words, changed. Who knows? The recollections of people who purported to have been there or spoken to someone who supposedly was have been examined albeit inconclusively for what should be obvious reasons.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »

getting that piece of information involves a relatively unhurt, fully functioning Fred Noonan getting out of the plane with his octant and his navigation handbook, establishing the sun’s position at its highest point and looking up the latitude to go with it. In the light about what has come to light since 1993 about the shape the aircraft and AE/FN seem to have been in, that doesn’t seem very likely, or does it?

Sure it's likely, especially right after the landing. There is no real evidence in the radio reports that Noonan was fully incapacitated, although he seems hysterical on the last day.  It's important to understand that Noonan lived and breathed navigation. You can bet your bottom dollar that he would have done absolutely everything he could possibly do to find their position, once they were at Niku. I'm sure he felt responsible for the flight going astray. It was, after all, his job to make sure that didn't happen. With the stable platform of land from which to take measurements, he would be able to much more precisely figure out where they were. The latitude, especially, he would be able to figure relatively easily. The longitude relies on an accurate chronometer, so would be less reliable. But unless he was extremely injured, he would definitely, immediately, try to get those readings. Navigation was his life.

(Another crucial piece of information would have been that they followed “the line 157/337”. The person Dana Randolph and Betty heard never mentioned that, and the “281” doesn’t come up in Betty’s transcript, either. The person Betty heard transmitted a lot of figures that no one has been able to make sense of so far, and comes across as having no idea where she is at all.

Betty's Notebook has 158/338 written all over it, or close approximations to that. Of course, Niku is actually closer to 158 than 157, and Earhart knew the last thing she transmitted about her position during the flight was 157/337, so it would make sense to correct that piece of information with a closer LOP that would lead to their current position.

When you put together 281 miles from the equator, on a coral reef SE of Howland, on the LOP 158/338, near a wreck named Norwich City (copied by Betty as New York City), it becomes clear she had a pretty good idea where she was - she just didn't know the name of the island.

This makes me think that maybe FN was incapacitated in the landing and AE went over his notes and transmitted anything she could find in the hope that somebody listening could interpret it correctly. Of course, that makes it even more unlikely that they had the information about being 281 nms south of the equator.)

There is no evidence in the radio reports that Earhart was transmitting everything she could find, in a haphazard manner. Almost everything anyone copied, had to do with the key information needed to get rescued - call sign, location info, and status. One of the few exceptions is when she seems to be giving instructions about the suitcase in the closet etc, at a time when she was probably presuming she may not be rescued. Extraneous statements such as "take it away Howland" show frustration at not being heard. Again, there is no indication anywhere, that Noonan was incapacitated at the landing. Injured, yes - incapacitated, no. Hysterical towards the end, but no indication of that any time earlier.

Latitude was easier to figure, and the reading would be reliable - he probably did know they were 281 miles away from the equator. And that would be a key piece of information that would help searchers, even if longitude was not known or not known to be accurate. I'm not sure why everyone seems to want to throw away the 281 report - it is one of the strongest indications we have, just by sheer odds. Think about it - of all the possible numbers to be copied, the ONE number that is copied reliable is the number 281 - and they were 281 miles from the equator - what's the odds? To me, it is extremely likely they transmitted the number 281 because that was their location. If it walks like a duck...

It is alive - it's a lot like speaking or hearing speech. It's always entertaining to experienced operators when people talk about dots and dashes and how they can be misconstrued. Because CW operators don't hear dots and dashes - they hear letters. When you learn code, you train your brain to recognize a certain sound as being a certain letter - the dots and dashes literally disappear and you hear the letter. Once you get some proficiency, it becomes easier, and you don't have to write down every letter - you can hold the letters in your mind until the end of the word, and just write or abbreviate the word.  At very high speeds, operators actually hear words instead of letters, and it's much more like real speech. That is the level most CW ops want to get to.

At most speeds, it is a lot like simultaneous translation - you hear the letter and write it down and only when you have enough letters, you know what the word is. It's not like hearing a word in your own language - it's like translating, where you hear the sound, translate it into your native language, and then you know what was said.

As for "improving" what you think you heard, it's relatively uncommon with code, since letters are being transmitted and written down, it's much more difficult to change things in your head, like is common with spoken speech. Spoken speech is so fast, your brain is always trying to guess what is being said, so sometimes those guesses are what gets written down in logs. Not so much in CW, except maybe in very fast code - 35 WPM or faster, where it's too fast to write down the letters and you can only write down the word. Then the same brain "guessing" becomes part of the equation. That's not in play here with the crude, slow code - you can bet those operatots are writing down exactly what they think they heard, without embellishment.

- WD7J
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:49:07 PM by Charlie Chisholm »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »

Charlie, you make a strong case that Earhart and Noonan knew where they were and that the only piece of information they lacked was the name of the island.  How was that possible?  The only explanation I can think of is that the island was not on any map that they had with them.  Was that possible?  Maybe - and we should be able to verify it.
The attached image is a photocopy of the map that the 14th Naval District HQ at Pearl Harbor used to manage the Earhart search.  The original is now in the National Archives branch in San Bruno, CA.  Note that the map ends at 2.5° South Latitude (I've outlined the borders in red). To plot McKean Island and Gardner Island the Navy had to draw in additional lines of latitude and longitude.  We don't know the name of this map but it shouldn't be hard to find out. It's obviously a standard chart and it seems likely there was one just like it aboard the Electra.   Earhart and Noonan would also need a chart that covers the route from Lae to where this chart begins.  The big question is, what areas are covered in other maps of this same series?  If the next chart south covers the same span of longitude as this chart, then the map that covers the route from Lae should also show the islands of the Phoenix Group. But if the charts are staggered and the next chart south stops at, say, the Dateline (180°), then it seems entirely possible that Earhart and Noonan did not have a chart that shows the name of Gardner Island.  They could know where they were and yet NOT know where they were.

We should be able to find out what charts of the Pacific were available in 1937.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:50:52 PM by Bruce Thomas »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org