Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund  (Read 705537 times)

Dave Potratz

• T2
Re: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »

Best wishes for a speedy dismissal.

LTM, who taught us to never submit to a bully.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »

Here's a TV news report on today's day in court, from K2TV - "Wyoming's News Leader."
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »

Well ... finally getting to take a breather today after attending to some family matters in Casper.

Thanks to Ric for being so effusive in his praise - all I did was show up (in a suit, no less) because, for me, TIGHAR represents a 15-year investment. I happen to think it's a winner, and I stick by my winners when they are threatened in any way.

Mr. Mellon - Ric Gillespie today offered an honorable way out for all parties concerned, that will stop the senseless bloodshed and get us back on a productive path. If you choose to take it, that will speak volumes for your strength of character. If you choose to continue on your chosen path, well, that speaks volumes too.

LTM, who now has the theme song for The Magnificent 7 stuck in his head,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

manjeet aujla

• T1
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2013, 05:45:15 AM »

It's good the judge seems to be a fair, smart guy. His picking up on the seeming inconsistency in the suit of whether it is fraud or negligence shows he is thinking.

A lot of people (esp in liberal SF) think midwesterners are hicks etc, but I know they have a good head on their shoulders. As they say about southerners - they speak slowly but their minds are razorsharp.

An aside - the best C/W bands are from the midwest, not Nashville.  :)

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »

Proud of the Magnificent Seven, too (and now can't get that tune out of my head...  8))!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iteRKvRKFA

Arrrrrrrrrgggghhhh!  It's not enough that my wife is walking around humming it - now THIS!!!  I won't sleep a wink tonight!!!  ;)

Seriously, great find Russ - absolutely hands-down the coolest western theme EVER!!!  8) (Sorry Frankie Lane...)  :D

I absolutely LOVE that theme!!!!  It never fails to raise my spirits no mater how low I feel. 

On that note, does TIGHAR have an official (or unofficial ) theme song?

Russ Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »

My suggestion for the (unofficial) Earhart Project theme ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnD6ojjA0OA

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »

My suggestion for the (unofficial) Earhart Project theme ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnD6ojjA0OA

Russ,
Here's another suggestion for Unofficial Theme song consideration.
Steve G
#3911R

Lisa Grinnell

• T1
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2013, 09:50:17 PM »

Speculation alert...

Whatever the judge decides will be precedent setting. If he doesn't dismiss or something near it, the way would be paved for disgruntled donors everywhere to file a lawsuit just because.

A search for the truth is powerful. May TIGHAR resume that business at hand soon.

Now I'll go check into the Magnificent Seven's plot. The music sure seems appropriate.

Lisa

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2013, 11:17:47 PM »

Tim,

Let's make this simple. If I re-open the thread and promise to leave it open, will you drop your lawsuit?

There is room for another approach to the issue in that statement. Rather than re-open the thread for more 'possible aircraft wreckage' postings. Why not re-open it for some expert input from the marine biology, habitat and coral taxonomy angle instead. Get some input from people from that field of work rather than the 'aircraft wreckage' side instead, just to see if there is some common ground between the two camps in any of the videos. Just a thought.

This must be the place

Russ Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »

Here's another suggestion for Unofficial Theme song consideration.

Love it!

How about "Eye of the TIGHAR?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP-SF1NqrE

Brad Mackey

• T1
« Reply #295 on: August 29, 2013, 03:54:44 AM »

Like many others I've been lurking on this site for at least two years now.  I've decided to put my two cents in about this frivolous and potentially destructive lawsuit.  What gets my blood boiling is the racketeering charge against Ric Gillespie. We can sit here typing away about theme songs, bloviating about motive or agenda's ( I'm a huge fan Jeff), or even extend a gracious hand out to the offending party. It's in my best nature to extend grace to my fellow man but it's very hard to think of this when one party seems to want to end a lifelong work of an individual who has most of the blood, sweat and tears invested in it. I'm just venting right now because it can be very easy to lose sight of these facts.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #296 on: August 29, 2013, 10:17:10 AM »

Speculation alert...

Whatever the judge decides will be precedent setting. If he doesn't dismiss or something near it, the way would be paved for disgruntled donors everywhere to file a lawsuit just because.

Lisa

Whoa ... I don't think anyone has picked up on that. Very, very interesting. Can you envision itty-bitty non-profits, like TIGHAR, having to make everyone who donates fill out a "I promise to never, ever, sue you" document before they can accept the money? If you took the extreme approach, that could apply to a donation as small as 1 CENT (anything can be be basis of a lawsuit, as we have seen here). The paperwork burden would be enormous, the reporting and record-keeping requirements positively gagging. I wonder if there is a way to get this thought to the judge?

LTM, who tries not to judge,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER

Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #297 on: August 29, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »

I wonder if there is a way to get this thought to the judge?

The judge is already there.  if you will recall, the His Honor asked Tim's attorney what the law says about a donee's duty to a donor.  The lawyer didn't have a good answer. 

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #298 on: August 29, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »

Is caveat emptor an actual legal term of just a saying?

When I first heard about this lawsuit my first impression was - Really? What attorney would actually take on such case? I know my attorney would have said "dude, grow up and take your lumps, you DONATED the money!"

I don't suppose there'll a transcript of Tuesday's proceedings?  I know where TIGHAR stands but would be interested to actually hear how the other side is fleshing out their argument. 

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #299 on: August 29, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »

Is caveat emptor an actual legal term of just a saying?

Cavate emptor means "let the buyer beware."  In this case there was no buyer.  A donation was made to help fund a specific event.  The money was used exactly as intended. The donor received exactly what was promised - participation in the event and a tax deduction (if he chose to take it).

I don't suppose there'll a transcript of Tuesday's proceedings?  I know where TIGHAR stands but would be interested to actually hear how the other side is fleshing out their argument.

I'm sure there is a transcript but I don't know if we have access to it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org