Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 51   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund  (Read 704432 times)

Bill Lloyd

• T3
Re: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »

Pretty big bankroll to throw around lawsuits - why he is using his enormous wealth to beat up on a tiny research organization with 1000 members and no money (in debt actually) I have no idea.

Do you have a link to current TIGHAR financial statements, debts,  expenses, payroll etc? If we are going to make arguments then we need all the facts.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »

Hi All

Don't You all see Tim Mellon has backed him self into a corner, and Tighar are now in a position negotiate this.

For a court to rule in favor of Tim Mellon, Can only mean one thing Tighar unknown to them actual found Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra in 2010 MYSTERY SOLVED.

If they rule in favor of Tighar, Tighar win it will have been a sad state of affairs but either way Tighar are going to win.... BUT

As Tim as made this Claim against Ric aswell, Ric may not be so fortunate because if they did rule in favor of Tim then Ric have a mark on his Criminal record

I Think

Richie 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »

Pretty big bankroll to throw around lawsuits - why he is using his enormous wealth to beat up on a tiny research organization with 1000 members and no money (in debt actually) I have no idea.

Do you have a link to current TIGHAR financial statements, debts,  expenses, payroll etc? If we are going to make arguments then we need all the facts.

There are numerous posts about how Tighar still owes quite a bit from the last expedition. I don't have the posts at my fingertips.

Update - here's one for you http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,994.msg20776.html#msg20776

Go to the parts where it says: We ended this last trip nearly $400,000 in debt.  That debt has to be retired before we can begin building the next trip.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:05:07 PM by Charlie Chisholm »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »

Here is link to were i read about Tim Mellon being self made through city planning

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1964&dat=19710516&id=aoEyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PbcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=970,1005969

Member# 416

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »

Is this what you are looking for? (TIGHAR 2012 Form 990 not yet available online).
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »

Here is link to were i read about Tim Mellon being self made through city planning

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1964&dat=19710516&id=aoEyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PbcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=970,1005969

Still not self-made. Self-made means literally you started with nothing and became highly successful. That's not the case with Timothy Mellon, but as I said earlier, I don't want to take away from what he has accomplished since he started/financed Guilford. He's not a deadbeat by any means. He even attempted to rebuild Pan-Am, starting at regional airports near major airports - a novel idea. Times were tough in those days for airlines and it didn't work out, but at least he tried. He and his business partner/co-owner have built a conglomerate of transportation-related companies in the northeast. There are even rail cars with the Pan-Am logo on them.

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 03:26:19 PM »

Is this what you are looking for? (TIGHAR 2012 Form 990 not yet available online).

Looks correct to me. Tighar had $108K at the end of 2010, collected mostly from contributions from members and revenue from licensing. Is that the money you feel you are entitled to? Member contributions?

richie conroy

• T5

Member# 416

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »

Yes it is. Thanks Tim. It will take a while tonight to digest those numbers. Filing date for 2012 was May 15, it will be interesting to see that one.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »

I'm not going to say what I really think about all of this - my momma raised me right.

What I would like to gently suggest to all forum members posting on this topic is that we might be inadvertently giving Mr. Mellon the one thing he truly stands to gain from all of this - attention.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

LTM, who has deposed a few rogues in his day,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »

Yes it is. Thanks Tim. It will take a while tonight to digest those numbers. Filing date for 2012 was May 15, it will be interesting to see that one.

So far don't see anything unusual. Total revenue was $402,516, expenses $372,673. Only two on the payroll, $204,665 plus rental income $15,431. Compensation is about 51% of revenue and according to my CPA former IRS auditor, that is about the norm for a non profit. CPA also said that the rental income could have been much more and opined that the female on the payroll was probably very underpaid. (CPA is a female)

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 06:54:42 AM »

Monty,
You may be correct, but the amount of attention Mr. Mellon is getting from this forum is most likely way below what his ego needs in numbers.   But it is a bit like 'beating a dead horse'.   However, it is good to know he has a lot of $$$.  Maybe TIGHAR could pay for the return trip to Niku on the millions they SHOULD be paid in the slander counter suit.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 08:50:57 AM »

it is good to know he has a lot of $$$.  Maybe TIGHAR could pay for the return trip to Niku on the millions they SHOULD be paid in the slander counter suit.   

Since Mr. Mellon is suing for the revenue from member contributions, and members had nothing to to do with the issues in this lawsuit, can't members sue as a class against Mr. Mellon?

Members contributed in good faith, trusting that their contributions would be used for research to find AE, not to pay Mr. Mellon for his frivolous lawsuit.

His lawsuit is damaging not only to Tighar the organization, but to all members who have contributed also.

I'm sure we could find some high-flying Texas class-action lawyer willing to make a few million dollars of income by suing a very rich person.

Something to think about.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:07:48 AM by Charlie Chisholm »

Andreas Badertscher

• T1
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 01:51:11 PM »

Yes we should consider that!!!

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »

I just contributed to the TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund.  It wasn't an easy decision, and  I'm not even a member of TIGHAR.  But this just doesn't seem right.

Let's just assume for the sake of the argument that Rick was some kind of a jerk who was embezzling from the organization or swindling contributors: Why would you sue the organization itself and put years of research and hard work at risk?   Many people without the resources of Mr. Mellon have made real sacrifices to support TIGHAR, and now, everything that they contributed is about to go down the drain.

It just doesn't make sense to me.  I'm not a lawyer, maybe some of you who know more than I do can explain it to me.

Please consider contributing to the Legal Defense Fund if you haven't already. 

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:37:34 PM by Nancy Marilyn Gould »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 51   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org