Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MysteryQuest Landing Gear and Bevington Photo  (Read 128038 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: MysteryQuest Landing Gear and Bevington Photo
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »

I expect to have a copy of the Lockheed engineering drawing for the landing gear installation some time this coming week.  That should clear up any questions about names of components.

I consider John Balderston the authority here. What do we call these things, John?

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »

Where was that declared by TIGHAR, Tim?  I've seen you 'declare' some things as 'definite', but not TIGHAR.  Maybe I missed it - respectfully, can you link us to a statement made by TIGHAR 'declaring' that the Bevington object 'is actually' an Electra gear?

Here, Jeff. "There is only one possible source..." (end of first full paragraph of the article).

No. You're quoting out of context.  The paragraph says (emphasis added),
"TIGHAR and U.S. Government analysts agree that the image SEEMS to show the wreckage of a main landing gear assembly from a Lockheed Electra. There is only one possible source for such debris in that place at that time - Earhart's Model 10E speciual NR16020."

Those sentences say that IF the image shows what it SEEMS to show THEN there is only one possible explanation.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:07:00 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »

I expect to have a copy of the Lockheed engineering drawing for the landing gear installation some time this coming week.  That should clear up any questions about names of components.

I consider John Balderston the authority here. What do we call these things, John?

John is a current Lockheed Martin employee but (correct me if I'm wrong John) he was not involved in the engineering for the Model 10.  You're saying that he is a better source for what we call these things than the original Lockheed engineering drawings.  'Nuff said.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:04:43 PM by Ric Gillespie »

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 09:51:16 PM »

John is a current Lockheed Martin employee but (correct me if I'm wrong John) he was not involved in the engineering for the Model 10.  You're saying that he is a better source for what we call these things than the original Lockheed engineering drawings.  'Nuff said.

Tim and Ric,

Please consult L-10 engineering drawings or perhaps maintenance pubs for this info if available.  I don't have a set so unfortunately am no help here.  I wish i did - that and additional digital imaging expertise and I might be able to do more with that reef slope.  Sorry.

Sincerely, John

Ps - I seem to recall this part rightly or wrongly referred to as a  "bull gear" if I'm not mistaken. . .

John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »

The pdf is labeled "Earhart Wreckage Final Brief Report"
The report is titled "Forensic Evaluation of Video Footage from the TIGHAR 2010 and 2012 Nikumaroro Expedition".

Sounds interesting how about posting it for all to read?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »

I recall 'bull gear' being used somewhere.

We always called it the "bull gear" before we got a copy of the "Lockheed Model 10 Maintenance Parts Catalog"  and discovered that there's nothing on the Model 10 that Lockheed called a "bull gear."  Unfortunately, the catalog is not illustrated so all we have is a list of part numbers and names.  I think the "bull gears" are "Part Numbers 41065L and 41056R - Worm Gear" but the engineering drawings should tell us for sure.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 06:47:31 PM »

Did I ever mention that some of these site logging programs are pretty amazing little critters? Amazing what they can scoop up, 24/7/365, after being told what to look for.

DOD "field testing" has its benefits.

LTM, who remembers who was not in the courtroom in Casper,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »

Ric stated...."Here is the schematic Jeff used to find where the Bevington had to be when he took the photo (yellow cross) and where, therefore, the Object was (red dot)." 

Ric, any movement on getting this trianglation-location on the "Dot-Dash" photo?  You were 'working' on it a few months ago....but there have been a few other developments since.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2013, 06:52:09 AM »

Ric, any movement on getting this trianglation-location on the "Dot-Dash" photo?  You were 'working' on it a few months ago....but there have been a few other developments since.   

We got a new hi-res copy of the "Dot-Dash" photo from New Zealand and Jeff Glickman took a close look at it.  Nothing of interest there.  No need to work out precise location.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »

Wow!  That is surprising to hear....considering their general location.
Any 'speculation' on what they are then?    Flaws in the picture? 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2013, 12:17:44 PM »

Wow!  That is surprising to hear....considering their general location.
Any 'speculation' on what they are then?    Flaws in the picture?

Probably coral blocks.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »

Hi All

Doubt will be of any help but attached are a couple parts diagrams for Lockheed 12 & 10a

Hope they are of some help

Thanks
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »

Attached is the engineering drawing for Installation 40650 but I'm afraid it raises more questions than it answers.  The "bull gear"/"worm gear" is shown but not labeled.  The two-piece guard is shown as a single part "42817 fender."  The Maintenance Parts Catalog lists 42817L and 42817R (obviously left and right) and yet the photo of the airplane at the Pima Air Museum (c/n 1011 - the earliest surviving Electra) clearly shows that the fender is in two pieces, front and back.  The Revisions section of the drawing may provide the answer. First flight of the Model 10 was 2-23-34.  The Revisions show that a "guard" was added 11-20-34.  The guard was removed 1-7-35 and a "fender" was added.  Maybe the two-piece unit was a "guard" which was replaced with a single piece "fender" in January 1935.  C/n 1011 was delivered 12-21-34 so it would have had the two-piece guard - if I'm interpreting the revisions correctly.  If that is the case, then c/n 1055 should have had a single piece "fender."

Russ Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »

I was at the Reno Air Races last weekend (September 14, 2013) and shot the attached photo of the right main gear on a Lockheed Electra ultimately destined for display at the Seattle Museum of Flight.  The plane is c/n 1015, built originally as a 10A and later converted to a 10E for Linda Finch's 1997 retracing of Earhart's route.  Interestingly, the gear is reported to have been "borrowed" from another aircraft (c/n 1026) that was formerly on exhibit with the Western Aerospace Museum in Oakland, CA.  Whatever the case, the fender on it now is clearly made up of one piece. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:28:58 PM by Russ Matthews »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2013, 06:29:46 PM »

Interestingly, the gear is reported to have been "borrowed" from another aircraft (c/n #1026) that was formerly on exhibit with the Western Aerospace Museum in Oakland, CA.  Whatever the case, the fender on it now is clearly made up of one piece.

C/n 1026 was delivered June of 1935.  Finch "borrowed" many parts that somehow never found their way back.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org