Advanced search  

Poll

In Reply #24 to the "Summary of Debris" thread, there is a scale for the picture of the scallop shell.

2 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 5 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 8 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
13 centimeters
- 1 (6.3%)
18 centimeters
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video  (Read 422473 times)

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
Re: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video
« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »

Tim,
Would share with us the equipment i.e. graphics program, object inhancing tools, etc. that let you see things that we can't see in your postings.

Thanks,
Ted Campbell

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »

HI

What does Tim have to share ?

Bare in mind these images are boarder line with vintage optical illusion toys,

You really do have to pay attention an focus to be able to interpret what you are seeing, However over the top u see them

Thanks Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »

You really do have to pay attention an focus to be able to interpret what you are seeing, However over the top u see them

And, kidding aside, it does help to back your eyes away from the screen a ways. Also advancing the video the shortest amount and making an object move helps determine what is part of it and what is not. With practice I have been able to advance as little as 5 frames with each double click on the screen. Jeff Glickman has a toy that allows advancing one frame at a time.                                     

The Harney drawings are also essential when comparing details, even though they are not 100% accurate.                                        :)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:28:00 PM by Tim Mellon »

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #228 on: December 26, 2012, 01:04:19 AM »

Tim....Hi! Was wondering where you're getting all these neat pictures at? Been trying to locate these on the webiste but haven't found them yet. I was looking at this latest picture, but was wondering if its possible to place them into green or blue color. Kinda of like the first pictures of the possible hot spot that Ric and the gang had on the recent expedition to Niku!

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2012, 01:13:45 AM »

Randy, I have been using FastStone Capture (app you pay for) to annotate anything I find on the YouTube footage posted by TIGHAR. I don't know whether they can be found by a Search Engine, but I somehow doubt it.

As to color, I think that would make things even harder to recognize. And it would not be realistic because there is no natural light at 800 feet down.

:)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:19:27 AM by Tim Mellon »

Bob Lanz

• T4
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:00:22 AM by Bob Lanz »

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #231 on: December 26, 2012, 08:23:17 AM »

Free Screen Capture Add-On for Firefox, Chrome and Safari. 

http://awesomescreenshot.com/
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R
« Reply #232 on: December 26, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »

Advancing a video frame-by-frame in Windows Media Player (Windows XP) is very easy.
With the video loaded and paused:
Click "Now Playing", Enhancements, Play Speed Settings
Click on the little square right-arrow button to advance one frame at a time.

Bob Harmon

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #233 on: December 26, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »

Tim....Hi! Finally, got to see a few of the videos that you captured the stills from. As I was glancing at the video, I did capture a few things that I personally found interesting. As many like myself agree, that indeed it looks or appears to be
that of rope material. I find it highly unlikely that steel cable would survive that environment for over 75 years. What captivated me though was how the rope strand went from one strand into two. As if someone tied a doubleknot. At first, I personally thought after reading the Norwich City storm accounts from survivors that it indeed was the rocket launchers that were the remnants of the ropes lying there as we speak..But, after seeing the ropes in a new way...I'm beginnning to wonder.
   In this particular video, another thing that really has me baffled is how large chunks of coral, were just laying there. As if someone had torn up a concrete slab or something. Now, I've seen the pictoral diagrams that the team has thought that the Electra slipped into these crevices...which is most likely. But, is it possible that the Electra weakened part of the reef area where it landed? In June, when I attended the symposium a couple that had been to the island had shown a picture of the reef area where Amelia might have possibly landed. From looking at the photo it shows quite definate that it is flat and smooth. But, what was it like underneath? How far down did the rock go before it hit bottomed out? After seeing the rock debris in the video...I'm beginning to believe that Amelia and Fred made a hard landing and a quick one....At the time of the landing...she landed the Electra with such force that it jolted the shelf in such a way, that it may indeed had cracked that particular area. Over the next several days, from the force of the high tides and waves, the force of tides above and below, eventually broke the shelf away and the Electra fell into the cracks. Over time, coral began to pile ontop of the Electra and covered it for its watery grave. I believe with this kind of force, that it didnt take long before it was covered!!!!

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #234 on: December 26, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »

Randy, I somehow doubt her landing was as bad as this scenario suggests. After all, they apparently were able to run the engines to charge the battery for several days of radio transmissions. Also, she had especially large tires for off-airport landings, which would have had a large surface contact area. I do not thing that volcanic outflow is particularly crumbly either.

I think most of the coral you are seeing has aggregated on the various surfaces over the years, leaving some thickly encrusted and others not covered at all (especially any surface that ended up in a vertical position). Some coral debris may have followed the Electra in time, but I believe most was already there in 1937.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #235 on: December 26, 2012, 06:06:36 PM »

And speaking of vertical surfaces, here is another view of what I think is the rear edge, including aileron, of the outer end of the right wing. Again, the bottom of a digit, either the "6" or the first "0", is partially visible. Note that the skin has been torn away from the aileron, leaving some ribs visible. The ubiquitous squiggle sits perched on the outer edge.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #236 on: December 26, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »

Hi All

I believe the attached image could possible show the right side of mono tail, If you study the pattern it is a possibility

Thanks Richie   
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #237 on: December 26, 2012, 11:06:18 PM »

Tim, you must have 20/10 vision to see anything in that dark clip.  How about this one, do you see it any better now?  You have an incredibly vivid imagination if you do.     

Yes, I see it just as well, even on my tiny Blackberry screen.                           :)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #238 on: December 26, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »

:)

I believe the attached image could possible show the right side of mono tail, If you study the pattern it is a possibility

Can you include the time stamp please, Richie?       :)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

william patterson

• T1
« Reply #239 on: December 27, 2012, 05:59:26 AM »

Hi All

Thanks Richie   

Photoshop or other image color manipulation, as well as cropping? Sure appears that way to me.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:01:45 AM by william patterson »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org