Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire & Rope entire.mov  (Read 319443 times)

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »

Good evening fellow TIGHAR members,

So much discussion - really invigorating.  I'm honestly counting the hours until the holiday break to secure the hours to fully catch up!

Those of us who find ourselves solidfying an opinion against Electra wreckage being present on the Niku reef slope - I respectfully request that we challenge ourselves to keep an open mind.  We may yet find compelling evidence right here in the 2010 and 2012 ROV video.

Thanks to Richie, Tom, and Tim for continuing to push the boundaries of our thinking.

Very respectfully yours, John
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2012, 09:54:51 PM »

So much discussion - really invigorating.  I'm honestly counting the hours until the holiday break to secure the hours to fully catch up!

Those of us who find ourselves solidfying an opinion against Electra wreckage being present on the Niku reef slope - I respectfully request that we challenge ourselves to keep an open mind.  We may yet find compelling evidence right here in the 2010 and 2012 ROV video.

Thanks to Richie, Tom, and Tim for continuing to push the boundaries of our thinking.

Look John I'm sorry to disappoint you after all that hard work but you're going to have to point those things out to me. I can't see anything but rocks and and old length of cable or rope.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »

I really can't find what some folks claim to see in that stuff. When I had a bit of a hunt through this site I found pics somewhere of the bits of the ship wreck underwater and they looked like bits of metal and things. But none of what people say looks like airplane parts is as clear as the ship parts. Is this because aluminum doesn't keep its shape as well.   

Apparently the problem is that steel ship parts look like steel ship parts after being under water and on a reef for a bunch of years.  Aluminum and airplane parts look like coral and marine growth after being under water and on the same reef for the same length of time.

Not necessarily Bill, Iron and steel are biologically active and harmful to coral.  Aluminum is also but not as much so.  Look at the TBD.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/63_DebrisField/63_DebrisField.htm

Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:00:46 PM by Bob Lanz »

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »

75 years of coral growth and precipitating
sediment and obscures airframe details

“Rope” is the dorsal antenna”

John and with all respect as well, please explain why the dorsal antenna would survive and be on top of all that coral after 75 years.  The dorsal antenna was made of solid core copper clad steel and would have corroded and rusted away long ago and at the very least covered in coral.  That is not a dorsal antenna and has not been there for 75 years.  It is a much more recent object, cable or rope.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2012, 01:29:37 AM »

Bob--or travel north, depending on a Artic polar bear, or an Anartic polar bear

Tom there are no Antartic Polar Bears, they only live in the northern hemesphere (except for Zoo's) :)

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2012, 01:38:05 AM »

Bob--or travel north, depending on a Artic polar bear, or an Anartic polar bear

Tom there are no Antartic Polar Bears, they only live in the northern hemesphere (except for Zoo's) :)

Those southern Polar bears sound a bit like the bits of airplane people are claiming to see in those rocks.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:54:16 AM by Dan Kelly »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2012, 05:17:13 AM »

I didnt know that Chris. Really! I was trying to break the tension with the reply to Bob's question. But , I really didnt know that about polar bears.
Dan---I have to admit, I have only seen 1 item in ALL the videos and stills, and even that is somewhat suspect. A good friend of mine on this forum says I've been working too hard and need a vacation. Thats true for sure!. Either way, we both could be right. But, I doubt that we will find out if I'm right. He, on the other hand is definately right!
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2012, 05:57:18 AM »

Tom,

yep Polar Bears are Artic and Penguines are Antartic (so all those cute Christmas Cards with Penguins at the North Pole are bogus).

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2012, 06:15:41 AM »

Could just be a freak piece of coral but worth getting a second opinion

Richie, would you please be kind enough to provide the link to this "object video". That picture is new to me. Thanks.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2012, 06:40:38 AM »

Chris ---I'm a warm weather guy! Niku? Maybe a little too warm.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2012, 07:14:08 AM »

Its on the main discussion page under object inspected
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:06 AM »

Hi All
These images are from the objects inspected video, The wing tip image with light over laps the top of the suspected hull,

The second image is directly behind the poss hull piece.

Thanks for the pointer, Richie.

These are without doubt pictures of the Norwich City. I saw all of this in real time, and was the one who first thought the sonar scan showed a section of wing. Up close, of course, it turned out to be a section of bulkhead or part of a hatch cover.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:43:20 AM by Tim Mellon »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »

The dorsal antenna was made of solid core copper clad steel and would have corroded and rusted away long ago and at the very least covered in coral.

How do you know what the dorsal antenna was made of?  Cite your source.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:32 AM »

The dorsal antenna was made of solid core copper clad steel and would have corroded and rusted away long ago and at the very least covered in coral.

How do you know what the dorsal antenna was made of?  Cite your source.

Sorry Ric, the "Dog" ate my homework.  In other words I since have deleted my browsing history when I looked that up.  I started here:  http://tighar.org/wiki/NR16020_antennas#Length_of_dorsal_antenna  and worked my way back and found that HF antennas of that era were made of solid core copper clad steel.  My point was, whatever that antenna was made of would not have been sitting on top of that coral debris after 75 years as intimated, when no other surviving part has been found.  I will defer to your source as to the makeup of that antenna and gladly retract my comment.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #299 on: November 21, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »

Remember -- wooden ships were clad with copper to prevent marine growth. Some types of anti-fouling paint still contain copper. If steel is copper clad, then it may well survive 75 yrs in tropical sea water. And marine growth on it will be relatively thin.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org