Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Purdue University Event April 23  (Read 21116 times)

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
Purdue University Event April 23
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:26:14 PM »

Is anyone going to be able to make it to this TIGHAR presentation on April 23?

http://indiana99s.org/

LTM,
Karen 2610CER

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: Purdue University Event April 23
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 04:37:42 AM »

Not me. 

Maybe Glickman can attend with Ric (presuming he's speaking) and get the needed picture(s) of 'the patch'?
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 06:29:17 AM »

I'm thinking about driving over from DC, but so far it's just a thought.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 08:43:35 AM »

The event at Purdue on April 23 has been cancelled.  The person who was organizing and promoting it did not check with the university about their requirements for holding a public event on Purdue property. She just assumed it would be okay.  It isn't.  She wanted to move it to somewhere else but she didn't have a good alternative and she hadn't really done any promotion.  I decided to just bag it.  It was always a non-rev add on to a research trip Jeff Glickman and I had planned to make. No big deal.

Jeff Glickman, TIGHAR archaeologist and expedition team member Gary Quigg, and I will be at Purdue Special Collections on April 23 to take copy-photos of at least two of the photos in their collection - the Darwin Fueling photo and the photo of AE and Fred and a couple of mechanics under the tail of the airplane in Miami (a forum member sees something on a box in the photo that he thinks resembles the little fasteners found at the Seven Site).

JNev

• T5
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:47:55 AM »

Good to know, thanks, Ric.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 07:54:45 AM »

*laughs* Yeah, never underestimate the enormous capacity of university bureaucracy to bring things to a virtual standstill, should it be so inclined.Which sounds like the case here.

And don't ask me how I know that.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:16:13 AM »

It's too bad.  Seems like Earhart was a founder of the 99's.  One wonders, in standing on bureaucracy a bit, is Purdue standing back a bit from recent notoriety on one of their own?  One would hope not, but universities can be oddly reactive.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »

No conspiracy. This is just standard policy.  I invited the archivist to the event and she asked if it had been cleared as meeting the requirements for public events on university property. I inquired and discovered it had not been, and could not be, cleared.  So I pulled the plug.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:48:12 AM »

Oops.  Oh well, plans of mice and men...

Glad to hear of the photo visit.  Intrigued by the 'fastener' angle - does that relate to the 'gidgies', or other found things?

I have to admit that I can't look at photos showing the special installations of plywood surfaces, extaneous items, etc. in the Electra without scrutinizing for hints of gidgy-stuff to this day.  Fascinating.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »

Glad to hear of the photo visit.  Intrigued by the 'fastener' angle - does that relate to the 'gidgies', or other found things?

Gidgies.  A long shot but worth checking.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 09:15:11 AM »

Cool.  Those little buggers are intriguing.

It is always a business of long shots by nature, is it not?  The lady was far better at getting lost than she was at radio use, poor creature.  We must all be in love with her at some level...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:18:41 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 06:24:08 AM »

Jeff Glickman, TIGHAR archaeologist and expedition team member Gary Quigg, and I will be at Purdue Special Collections on April 23 to take copy-photos of at least two of the photos in their collection

At this point wouldn't the expenses for this trip be better invested in Niku VIII?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 06:32:50 AM »

At this point wouldn't the expenses for this trip be better invested in Niku VIII?

I'm going to say, "No."

The trip to Purdue might help fundraising.

"No bucks, no Buck Rogers."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 08:03:22 AM »

Actually, the Purdue trip is an important part of the planning for NIKU VIII.  In addition to the photographic work, Jefff Glickman and Gary Quigg will be reviewing objects in the 1938 aerial photos inshore from the Bevington Object location that may be man-made.  Gary will be leading the onshore search for signs of an initial survival camp. Gary lives in Indiana, not far from Purdue. Jeff is combining this trip with a business trip to Chicago so we don't have to cover his expenses. This is the most economical way to put Jeff and Gary together to discuss the targets Gary's team will be trying to locate and identify.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:22:36 AM »

I'm going to say, "No."

The trip to Purdue might help fundraising.

"No bucks, no Buck Rogers."

Why is that / what is the mechanism as you see it, Marty?  That's interesting.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org