Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purdue University Event April 23  (Read 21115 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Purdue University Event April 23
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 12:21:22 PM »

The trip to Purdue might help fundraising.
Why is that / what is the mechanism as you see it, Marty?  That's interesting.

They are going to take pictures of two pictures.

I presume the reason is that they think there might be something of interest in the pictures.

Would they ever undertake the trip if they didn't hope to find something in the pictures?

If they find something of interest in the pictures, mightn't that help sell benefactors on the worth of investing in the expedition?

I deliberately use the word "might" to indicate that I don't know what the outcome of the trip will be.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »

Looks like there are several worthy efforts involved in the Purdue trip and it is efficient for several reasons. For the record I donated funds specifically for the effort to check the fasteners since  a professional was going to be there anyway. I also donated to the 1937 fund.
3971R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »

The trip to Purdue might help fundraising.
Why is that / what is the mechanism as you see it, Marty?  That's interesting.

They are going to take pictures of two pictures.

I presume the reason is that they think there might be something of interest in the pictures.

Would they ever undertake the trip if they didn't hope to find something in the pictures?

If they find something of interest in the pictures, mightn't that help sell benefactors on the worth of investing in the expedition?

I deliberately use the word "might" to indicate that I don't know what the outcome of the trip will be.

Might be so, Marty, might be so...  :P
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:11:25 PM by Jeffrey Neville »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »

We're hoping that the Darwin Fueling photo will either support or detract from the hypothesis that 2-2-V-1 is the Miami Patch.  Jeff Neville has made the case that it can't be the patch. The testing done by Lehigh Testing Laboratories is not supportive of the hypothesis but neither does it disprove the hypothesis.  Some have claimed that the Darwin Fueling photo proves that there were no stiffeners (lines of rivets) on the patch.  Conversely, the "oil-canning" that seems to be apparent in the photo seems to match deformation in the artifact. 

I can foresee three possible outcomes to the forensic analysis of a max-resolution copy of the Darwin Fueling photo:
1. It might support the hypothesis - in which case it could be good for fund raising.
2. It might disprove the hypothesis - in which case it could also be good for fund raising because it would demonstrate our scientific rigor.
3. It could be inconclusive - in which case it there would be no benefit to fund raising.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 07:02:58 PM »

3. It could be inconclusive - in which case it there would be no benefit to fund raising.

That reminds me of the joke about the man lying unconscious on the sidewalk being worked on by paramedics.

His hysterical wife is wailing, "Give him some chicken soup! Give him some chicken soup!"

One of the paramedics says to her calmly, "Madam, it wouldn't help."

She answers, "It wouldn't hurt!"
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 11:42:53 AM »

Over the past 3 years I ordered 4 copies of this box fastener image from Purdue(the one on the box under the Electra with AE and FN also in the shade). Each had different resolution and it seemed to me the images with more resolution washed out detail where the second hole might be on the fastener.  The lower resolution image at 96DPI showed the details that were not so bright better. There appears to be a second hole that shows up in the 96 DPI image in my opinion. It may be a problem with contrast or something else. I don’t know the reason for the loss in detail in the darker area, but this is why I am glad Jeff Glickman and Ric are going. The very helpful staff at Purdue did not know the hypothesis when I ordered the images, so could not know exactly my interests.

I wanted to post this PDF so Jeff and Ric know what I was trying to get a better look at. Because it may mean using different methods to get better detail in different parts of the image. One method for the shiny left half of the exposed fastener and another for the right half of the fastener which might be covered in a dark stitch and ring/ button/ snap or gasket. 
Attached is a PDF to hopefully explain this better. EDITED PDF to show missing layers
I know this is a longshot so thanks again Ric and Jeff for checking it while there.
3971R

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:39:37 PM by Greg Daspit »

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »

Bruce is right! When I got home from the hospital the other day, they hadn't found my problem and I'll probably have to go back. Iwent straight to the cabinet with the chicken soup. It didn't hurt and it tasted good. Until AE, FN and/or an airplane wing with NR16020 on it show up, we need to keep chuggin' with what we have!
Bob S.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:53:24 PM by Bob Smith »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »

Cat food might work better.  :P
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »

I'm hoping that this was worth the trip, image wise?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »

A very worthwhile trip. Lots to talk about.  I'll start a new thread.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org