Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electra Survivors Project  (Read 86802 times)

Pete Clukey

• T1
Re: Electra Survivors Project
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »

At the Time of this particular photo he was with Varney/Continental  and they had four electras/Jr’s,  one L-10E and three L-12’s,  I am hoping it is the L-10E in the photo, I have the Lockheed Data Plate for that plane C/N 1054, the A/P line number just before the Earhart Electra
Anyway thanks in advance for any info you can supply
Best Regards
David Black

David, being a curious George here, do you know what happened to C/N 1054?  Is it still airworthy?  Most of all can you take a picture of the data plate and post it since it is so close to the Earhart Electra?  Oh, and how did you come by the data plate?   

Regards,

Bob,

I found I had a photo of 1054's data plate.

Pete Clukey
Pete Clukey

david barrott

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 01:26:02 AM »

I am present working on a Lockheed 10A, No 1107, originally registered as VH-UZO. Having repaired some 'hangar rash' on the rear stabliser I now wish to re-rig the rudder cables. The turnbuckle on the rudder 'tie-wire' is almost inaccessible to my aging hands (I am 78 and my apprentice is 90) does anyone have a schematic diagram of the cable layout or better still, experience of this job. The aircraft belongs to the Australian Fleet Air Arm Museum and we wish to return it to flying status. We have the aircraft manuals, but the relevant sections (IV- Empenage and V-Control Surfaces) do not provide any detail. Additionally, does any one know the pretension specifications for the rigging/

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »

David,
Suggest you contact Rob Mackley in NZ. Email to rob(insert the at sign)mackley.co.nz. He has been rebuilding c/n1145 for the past decade and can probably help. If you do not hear from him, let me know and I'll send you another contact in Canada who rebuilt c/n 1116 a few years ago.

May I add you to my list of contacts who I occasionally use to obtain pictures of various sorts, and explanations of parts and mechanisms? If so, send me your email address off-list -- email to  rkcolegate(insert the at sign)aol.com. Thanks

Regards
Mike

david barrott

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2013, 05:16:56 PM »

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for that contact. I will contavt you direct by Email

David

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 09:59:49 AM »

The possibility of the hulk visible in sat photos at the airport graveyard in Asmara, Eritrea has been resolved. The question was: is it an L-10 or a Beech 18 (also twin engine, twin tail) It is  the latter. Source:  http://www.beech18.net/toast/toast.asp?action=posts&fid=4&sub=show&tid=1658
 “I am a South African pilot in Eritrea (north africa) flying here for the UN. There is a Beech 18 looking mighty sad lying in the grass here at Asmara airport. I have had a brief look around and saw the following. Registration is ET-AFE, serial number BA288 and has E18S on the data plate. Has a date 06/1957 also on the plate. It looks like she has been derelict for a few years, still has her P&W's on and 3 bladed props. She has seen a bit of war action, has a few bullet holes in her - there was serious conflict between Ethiopia and Eritrea from 1998 to 2001.”
Mike

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 04:15:07 AM »

Received via e-mail today.

If people agree that this information is accurate, I'll modify the table on the wiki.

I don't have time to verify it myself.

I noticed on your page http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Forum/FAQs/existingelectras.htm you mention C/N: 1005 as (Note: Owner planned recovery in 1999. Not known if recovery was accomplished.) I would believe from the picture at http://www.ruudleeuw.com/others-septer2.htm and search 12Jul12 or just 1005 you will find the tail section of the aircraft on a trailer, that one could safely presume that it has been recovered in pieces.  Subsequent searches on both the identifications named for the craft dont seem to lead anywhere other than whats referenced in the second link with no further info on the recovery.

#2 C/N: 1011 you have listed as outdoor storage.  http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000693450L.html shows her complete and on display at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Arizona

#3 is being flown to Seattle supposedly Sept 2013 according to http://www.generalaviationnews.com/2013/03/museum-of-flight-acquires-electra-10-e/ and has been restored to resemble Amelia's, and I am sure you are aware they claim to have the only known piece of her aircraft

#6 on your site states damaged in fire, http://www.flytoanothertime.com/Fly_To_Another_Time/Lockheed_10_%26_12.html shows it flying as of 2011

#7 C/N 1052 states partial restored, http://www.neam.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=867 shows it finished at New England Air Museum

# 10 C/N 1107 reportedly is at Australia museum of flight per http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Lockheed%2010%20VH-UZO%20Ansett%20crash%207-3-43.htm restored but I cannot find info on it further

According to the site http://www.flytoanothertime.com/Fly_To_Another_Time/Lockheed_10_%26_12.html you are missing S/N 1145 - Ex-Alaska model 10, now in NZ being restored to to airworthy by Rob Mackley. Picture from Spring 2011. and S/N 3501 - USAAC XC-35 modified with pressurized fuselage. Stored with National Air and Space Museum.

That last site seems to have some decent pictures of most the aircraft as well.

Just thought I would pass this info along in the interest of keeping your site up to date. 

Keep up the search and love to mother

Gary Lang
K4GHL
Salisbury NC

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 09:54:13 AM »

Hi Marty,
Virtually all of these updates had been incorporated in my ver. 7 sent to Ric about 6 weeks ago. You may want to forward a copy of that to this fellow in NC to allow him to update his comments. Also, you might note we are in touch with restorers in NZ, AUS, and CAN. I'll send you a copy of ver. 7 by email in case Ric's has gone walkabout.
Mike

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2013, 08:21:56 AM »

She has finally arrived at Boeing's Museum of Flight. I plan to visit in the next couple of weeks. If anyone wants pictures let me know and I'll try to post on the Forum.
Steve G
#3911R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »

The most glaring outward discrepancies between the Finch/Kammerer Electra and NR16020 are the cowlings and propeller hubs.  The Finch/Kammerer airplane has full-feathering props (a no-brainer for an airworthy aircraft) and cowlings from who-knows-where?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »

I wonder if there are any old L10E original cowlings out there, or whether the museum might come up with faithful replicas - that would be a really neat touch.  But they are round and close as it is.  Sweet bird.

The National Museum of Naval Aviation had a set of 10E cowlings for the Electra (c/n 1130) they were rebuilding as a replica of NR16020 but the project was aborted before they swapped the airplane's R985s for R1340s so they never used the cowlings.  Maybe they still have them.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »

The first thing to find out is whether the Museum of Flight is even interested in making the airplane more closely resemble NR16020.  They are busily calling it an"exact replica" which it is not. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org