Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Status of Niku 7 video analysis  (Read 141093 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Current Status of Niku 7 video analysis
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »

Ric

On the map of objects found was number 22, object unknown a auv target that yous didn't get too see ? or were unable to identify it ?

Thanks Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »

Whats on the bottom--beyond 3200 feet?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »

Whats on the bottom--beyond 3200 feet?

From the charts that were available on the bridge of the K-O-K, the ocean floor in a wide area around Nikumaroro was at a depth in excess of 2500 fathoms (15000 feet). The island itself appeared to slope off in all directions at a reasonably consistent slope, equivalent to what you see in the HD videos. So what's on the bottom is probably volcanic  material until you reach the level sea floor.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2012, 03:48:49 PM »

Thats right Tim, but they werent able to seach from 3200 to 15000. MAYBE its there.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »

:) IMHO, not.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2012, 05:18:37 AM »

Tim-I see several possibilities. IF there is wreckage:
A) its between the surf line and 800 feet, possibly under coral, boulders etc;
B) its between 3200 and the bottom-since the ROV passes between 800 and 3200 didnt identify targets, or
C) not there at all.
There are images in the video that show some things, but still inconclusive (?). Any other possibilities?

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2012, 07:09:57 AM »

Tim-I see several possibilities. IF there is wreckage:
A) its between the surf line and 800 feet, possibly under coral, boulders etc;
B) its between 3200 and the bottom-since the ROV passes between 800 and 3200 didnt identify targets, or
C) not there at all.
There are images in the video that show some things, but still inconclusive (?). Any other possibilities?

Yes - still lots of rocks to turn over. 

I'm still having trouble with this footage - just not seeing what others are seeing here other than one crusty shape that does resemble a fender; intriguing I'll grant you, plus I am certainly not an expert - but I just can't see all the 'man made' features I keep hearing about. 

If this is worth going after it apparently is going to have to be on the word of the experts.  I could 'see' more in the Bevington photo, for sure - and maybe that's not a fair comparison, but this one's pretty tough to be frank.  The more I look, the more kelp and rock I see.  I'd love to be proven wrong.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2012, 07:19:58 AM »

If this is worth going after it apparently is going to have to be on the word of the experts.  I could 'see' more in the Bevington photo, for sure - and maybe that's not a fair comparison, but this one's pretty tough to be frank.  The more I look, the more kelp and rock I see.  I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm pretty much where Jeff is on this.  I'm going to have to be a lot more sure than I am now that we have something worth going after before I'll be willing to commit major assets to retrieving it.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »

-since the ROV passes between 800 and 3200 didnt identify targets, .... Any other possibilities?

The ROV spent most of its time above 800 feet, so I don't feel this precludes there being material between 800 feet and somewhat deeper. But I really don't think anything could have slid down to the ocean floor.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

tom howard

• T2
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »

Am I misreading the tone or has things went bleak?
Everyone was so happy over this debris field and now Ric is not even sure there is anything worth going after?
What changed in the last couple of weeks?

The 2011 underwater cameras went to what 900ft? And nothing was found.
Now this new bigger dollar search was supposed to go beyond 300 meters and wider and a debris field is finally found by Dr Glickman despite it looking like just coral.
So two underwater rov searches and the debris field is no longer promising, is that what I am reading?

don hirth

• T1
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2012, 05:13:30 PM »

Tom Howard, Many "mixed" signals! It certainly LOOKS like things have gone bleak. Regardless of who's money is being spent (wasted) the tail is wagging the dog. The last effort would have been better served if it had been delayed until 2013 - 2014 and INCLUDING the proper
equipment and planning to RETRIEVE items. Even though in my time on this forum and few posts,
I've always believed that A.E. landed and perished on Niku, I firmly also believe that further
expeditions will be extremely difficult to occur, donations wise. The dead horse has been sufficiently beaten. I'm sure no one will mourn my loss but I will leave this forum, permanently. It's been great, at times but enough is enough.
dlh

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2012, 06:18:01 PM »

Suppositions of bleakness are 180° out. Don't read my recent expressions of caution as anything more than an honest desire to communicate my own healthy skepticism.  I'm not saying we don't have a debris field. I'm only saying that I'm going to need to see more than I've seen so far before I'll be willing to commit major asset to checking it out.  To do otherwise would be irresponsible.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2012, 07:02:46 PM »

When watching the video, remember to click on the 1080 definition option first so you can see more clearly. (it's the little gear icon that says change quality) The video is in 360 otherwise(at least on my computer)
In addition to what I think is the landing gear(Bevington object) in the original still image annotated with arrows, I see alot of things that I would like to look at closer but do not have the software to pull stills out of the video.
It may help if some of the bettter in-focus images are pulled out as a still, in hi def.,one for every 5 or 10 seconds or so, and posted. In black and white.
Here are my top 5 still request and what I see in them that I want to zoom in on to look closer.
:39 cut-open section with exposed tank at bottom right
:48 small cylinder w/ circular label or ring in middle at upper left
1:20 possible center post to landing gear strut at bottom center(really a few good ones from 1:18 to 1:21)
1:30 mass with flat panels and possible levers at center
1:49-1:57 flat horizontal shape with big shadow under it at top center
3971R

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:26:48 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

THWWallace

• T1
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2012, 09:21:29 AM »

"I'm pretty much where Jeff is on this.  I'm going to have to be a lot more sure than I am now that we have something worth going after before I'll be willing to commit major assets to retrieving it."

Hi Ric and all!  I've been following Tighar for several months and have finally registered for the forum.  Ric, I've a question:  If you feel there's an 80% chance that debris you've located is related to the Bevington object, and if you feel there's an 80% chance that the Bevington object is related to an Electra, why isn't this enough to "commit major assets?"  I appreciate your caution, but if I had the means, I'd be chartering a boat and buying sunscreen right about now...  This is all very exciting stuff; keep up the great work!
~Travis

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2012, 09:42:24 AM »

Let's step back for a minute.  Niku VII was our tenth trip to the island.  After each trip it has taken us months, often years, to figure out what we learned.  This trip is no different.  Initially this one looked like a bust (we've had them before).  Now it looks like we might have found what we were looking for - but we have to remain skeptical until we know more.  We release the information we have as we get it.  The picture always changes as new research results come in. Sometimes an artifact that looked promising gets shot down - usually by us.  Sometimes, the closer we look, the better it looks.  But it takes time and perseverance.  People get impatient.  They forget the long string of successes that brought us to this point in the investigation. 
They say, "You said you were going to find the Earhart airplane.  So show it to us."  Well, no.  That's not what we said.  We said we were going to go look for the plane in the place where the available evidence suggests we should look.  That's what we did.  Now we have to figure out what we learned.

Meanwhile, there are many avenues of investigation that need further work.  The Bevington Photo is a good example of a "sleeper" - something we've had for a long time but never realized it's importance.  We're currently compiling a long list of topics that need attention.  When it's done we'll put it out to the forum and ask for volunteers who will "champion," that is, lead the research effort on a particular topic.  The forum is a powerful research tool.  We want to use to its full potential.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org