Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Debris Field Found?  (Read 237572 times)

dan bejmuk

• T1
Re: Debris Field Found?
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »

Hi Everyone - I've been a long time lurker and finally found something I wanted to add two cents on.  Ok so I've looked at this picture in what I believe is true color/blue, black and white at this latest black and white version...from the first version I swore to myself I was looking at a shackle connected to something...in the latest black and white photo it now to me at least (perhaps because I stare at one of these darned things most weekends) like a delta-style anchor, connected where you'd expect to a shackle.

Here's what I'm referring to:
Delta Anchor:
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/attachments/boat-accessories/301615d1315170853-lewmar-delta-22lb-anchor-delta-anchor.jpg

Shackle (who knew Staples sold shackles)
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=703261

In the latest black and white picture by Randy, the object in the top left with the arrow so screams shackle to me...and since Shackles are connected to Anchors and Chain/Rode in the exact place you'd expect to see it if the object to the side of it is a delta-style anchor...this just looks to me like someone lost a boat anchor there.   I didn't realize it until today but Delta anchors have apparently been around since the 1980s (says wikipedia) and their similarly shaped cousins (CQR anchors) since 1933 (wikipedia).

Just wanted to add another interpretation of the photo.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »

I know I've said this a time or two but:
1) An expert is someone who knows when to call in the experts. My money is on Jeff Glickman.
2) Increasing vision is increasingly expensive. How many of you have ponied up to help with the analysis? Talk is cheap - in here it's free. Let's all do our part.

LTM, who pushes paper even when it pushes back,

Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »

...from the first version I swore to myself I was looking at a shackle connected to something...

I have not previously joined in the "imagineering" associated with the underwater photos, and have generally been unable to see, with any degree of confidence, what others have been pointing out.  However, honesty compels me to admit that the one thing to date (aside from the obvious wire, etc. from previous missions) that I think might be man-made is what you identify as a shackle, I also perceive it as possibly being that.  I believe Jeff Glickman suggested it was a "pulley" last night, but the commentary ran by awfully fast.

I am, so far, neutral about the delta anchor.  For some reason I am unable to get your link to the anchor to work, but there are plenty of other anchor pictures out there.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »

Anyway, how far was this particular wreckage from the debris field that Jeff pointed out in the single photo now being looked at? Are we talking yards, feet, quarter mile, half mile? Curious!!!!

Quarter mile.

Paul Atkinson

• T1
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »

Anyway, I am writing today to see if Jeff Glickman knows anything bout this little black box in the left to middle-center. I pointed this out the other night on the forum, but the picture I used was more bluer than this awesome black and white picture. Anyway, I picked this out of everything else, except for the tires in the upper left-hand picture. Also, Ric as you mentioned in the film last night you showed images of the keel that sank during the shipwreck. But, I caught something as the ROV panned across the wreckage. Don't know if your guys missed this or not, but most wreckage is usually rusted and brown and broken, etc. In part of this wreckage I noticed a straight line of grey! This grey did not fit into this picture of wreckage for some reason. But, found it very odd! Anyway, how far was this particular wreckage from the debris field that Jeff pointed out in the single photo now being looked at? Are we talking yards, feet, quarter mile, half mile? Curious!!!!

Great eyes.  Right in the area I thought there was a wheel.  Your object definitely looks man made.  Mine looks less like a wheel in your photo in black and

Danny L. Holt

• T1
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2012, 06:15:06 PM »

Thanks Marty. I hadn't seen that so thanks for pointing that out. I had suspicians that would be my answer. Thanks for clarifying it. Dan

Dave W.S. King

• T1
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »

First post but I've followed the expeditions over the years.

On that picture in the upper right between the arrows. First posted in post #20 in b&w. That looks exactly like a tail wheel fork from a Loughheed. For those without a aviation background it looks like a man arms out horizontal and knees slightly bent and legs out to the sides a bit. Think of doing a jumping jack and landing. The axle for the tail wheel would be at the ankles. The arms bolt into trunnions or other structure. If you imagine the head turned to the side and sticking out its tongue that is the steering linkage or post. Its a very distinct shape. I can probably find a picture in a few hours. Does anyone know if hers was modified in any way for extra load? Locking or lockable? Those would change the shape slightly but not that much. This would be chromed as well as treated quite well as it gets showered in junk from the prop blast and dragged through everything. So it might have production serial numbers still visible. The shape is right but I have no idea of the scale of the view I'm looking at. If anyone has access to the high def vids or stills of that I'd look at it a whole lot closer.

Dave

Peter F Kearney

• T1
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »

Anyway, I am writing today to see if Jeff Glickman knows anything bout this little black box in the left to middle-center. I pointed this out the other night on the forum, but the picture I used was more bluer than this awesome black and white picture. Anyway, I picked this out of everything else, except for the tires in the upper left-hand picture. Also, Ric as you mentioned in the film last night you showed images of the keel that sank during the shipwreck. But, I caught something as the ROV panned across the wreckage. Don't know if your guys missed this or not, but most wreckage is usually rusted and brown and broken, etc. In part of this wreckage I noticed a straight line of grey! This grey did not fit into this picture of wreckage for some reason. But, found it very odd! Anyway, how far was this particular wreckage from the debris field that Jeff pointed out in the single photo now being looked at? Are we talking yards, feet, quarter mile, half mile? Curious!!!!

Great eyes.  Right in the area I thought there was a wheel.  Your object definitely looks man made.  Mine looks less like a wheel in your photo in black and

For many years I worked as a wiring harness QC person for a car manufacturer. When I first saw that box the image of a male multiple wire connector poped into mind.  Very commpon on wiring harnesses. If the other object is the fork of the rear wheel there should also be rear tail navigation lights in the same area.  I wonder could this be the end of the wiring harness that would connect into the rear light unit.
Peter
TIGHAR No. 4303R

Adam Marsland

• T2
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »

I do see what other people are seeing, but to my untrained eye it could just be coral.  What DID knock me out, however, was seeing the hi-res photo showing Nessie as a wheel today as part of the news stories about the debris field.  I had not seen that before -- has that hi-res of a photo been released before?  Wow!  Now I understand why everyone got so excited about the search.  Really does look like a big fat Lockheed wheel.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »

See the new thread to discuss the high-res photo of the Bevington Object ("Nessie").
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:19:25 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Steve D. Burk

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:30 PM »

Dan's URL for the picture of the delta anchor works if you take off the .jpg at the end, giving:
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/attachments/boat-accessories/301615d1315170853-lewmar-delta-22lb-anchor-delta-anchor

Making allowance for it being partially buried and the growth upon the object, etc., I agree with Dan's assessment. Even the plow shape of the anchor seems to become evident once you have this structure in mind.

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »

Why don't you guys try your luck with these images?

gl

Gary, you know this is a family-friendly site, and you should be ashamed of yourself for posting such obviously sexual, filthy, smutty pictures.

;D

Step away from the computer...step away from the computer.

gl

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2012, 10:41:06 PM »

Also can you say if the pictured debris field was separated far enough  from the NC wreck to exclude it as the source?

Yes and yes.
Well, my mommy told me that "actions speak louder than words." Obviously TIGHAR believed that the two debris fields overlap as shown by their sending the valuable and expensive to operate ROV off to photograph what turned out to be a section of the NC. This section of the NC must be in the NC debris field and if the two debris fields did not overlap then there would have been no reason to investigate that hit since its location would have ruled it out as being a piece of the Electra.

gl

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »

Well, my mommy told me that "actions speak louder than words." Obviously TIGHAR believed that the two debris fields overlap as shown by their sending the valuable and expensive to operate ROV off to photograph what turned out to be a section of the NC.

At the time they used the ROV to explore Norwich City wreckage, they did not have any idea that Jeff would find possible objects of interest ten days after the KoK returned to port.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2012, 11:54:03 PM »

Well, my mommy told me that "actions speak louder than words." Obviously TIGHAR believed that the two debris fields overlap as shown by their sending the valuable and expensive to operate ROV off to photograph what turned out to be a section of the NC.

At the time they used the ROV to explore Norwich City wreckage, they did not have any idea that Jeff would find possible objects of interest ten days after the KoK returned to port.
Marty, you missed my point which is that they went to look at that piece of the NC which proves that they believed at the time that that piece of the NC was located in the computed Electra debris distribution field because otherwise it would have been ruled out as a possible Electra piece and they would not have sent the ROV to look at it. So it appears equally possible that additional pieces of the NC also lie in the computed Electra debris distribution field such as the things that Jeff spotted later.

gl
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:58:41 PM by Gary LaPook »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org