Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fresh Water --just one sip....  (Read 19091 times)

George Pachulski

• T1
Fresh Water --just one sip....
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »

I was wondering if the plants and leaves and stuff could have enough dew on them each morning to collect as water. I likewise don't know if mucky ponds could be used to gentley suck water from them with the knoted cloth that was found.

This knotted cloth could suck up water from these sources and then be used after a good wringing to get water into a cup .....

so what do you think ? :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: Fresh Water --just one sip....
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »

dew on Niku? I'll yield to those who have been there, but here in South Carolina the past several days with temps in mid to upper 90's, we havent had any dew. Lost of steam with you open you car doors in the morning  :o, but no dew. I would suspect Niku is similar. marty, andrew others?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »

George, check out the topic, Artifact Analysis>Knotted Cloth, for a discussion of the knotted cloth found at the 7 site.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:07:33 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:21:35 PM »

The topic of finding suitable drinking water has been discussed before but, it is always worth going over the same ground just in case something new is discovered.
The main reason the PISS (no pun)ended on Nikumaroro was this very problem of drinking water.
This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »

Enough water to support a colony!

Sorry bit vague.

What I meant was there wasn't enough water to supply a colony.  One or two determined people is another matter.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:19:50 AM by Chris Johnson »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »

No dew on Niku

Rain does collect on top of leaves and any other concave surface.

There are several places that are essentially mud flats, that after significant rains I would imagine could collect fresh water.  This is what I think the NC survivors found on their day one, but it dried up as soon as the sun came back out.  Luckily, they had collected a 3 week supply before it dried up.

Water would definitely be the big issue.

amck

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »

An interesting line in the New Zealand expedition survey report....

It was the proposal of the C.A.S. that the party should be put ashore with a calculated minimum of water of one gallon per man per day, and as he informed me that our stay was one of about three weeks, he had instructed the Captain of the vessel to land 200 to 250 gallons of water

One gallon per man per day? They could have filled a swimming pool!!!
This must be the place

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:33:07 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »

Is that just for drinking or does it include cooking (the rats ate all their potato's) and washing?

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »

Probably for everything Chris. Our ground troops in Viet Nam usually carried a minimum of two 1 Quart canteens with them at all times. But, and this is a biggy, they were constantly resupplied by helicopter. Usually at least once a day and sometimes more. Especially with water and ammunition. Washing in the field was optional and was the exception in many cases. There were, in many areas, plenty of fresh water streams but most of them were a breeding ground for all types of infections and leaches.

I hope this helps a little. I am sure some others can add to this.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

william patterson

• T1
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »

No dew on Niku

Rain does collect on top of leaves and any other concave surface.

There are several places that are essentially mud flats, that after significant rains I would imagine could collect fresh water.  This is what I think the NC survivors found on their day one, but it dried up as soon as the sun came back out.  Luckily, they had collected a 3 week supply before it dried up.

Water would definitely be the big issue.

amck

Didn't the NC survivors collect several gallons of water from the bottom of the lifeboats?
Boats collect water quite well as my Canoe can attest. Even a busted half a lifeboat propped up slightly on one end could collect gallons every rainfall. If it rained I don't think they would have had any problems with water collection. If it didn't rain, that's another story.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »

Key words are "if it rained"....

If memory serves, 1937 / 38 was a period of drought on Niku, so there may not have been much rain to capture.  Even when there isn't a drought, it can be frustratingly hard to collect water.  You can be standing on Niku watching a squall come that passes by the island without a single drop falling on your head, or you can get drenched in a torrential downpour.  Totally the luck of the draw.  In most cases, the rain doesn't last long, so the idea of collecting gallons of rain at any one point in time is not very realistic in my mind, unless you have a pretty big catchment area to work with.

Tough situation for a castaway.

amck

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

I was wondering if the plants and leaves and stuff could have enough dew on them each morning to collect as water. I likewise don't know if mucky ponds could be used to gentley suck water from them with the knoted cloth that was found.

In Panama (approx 95 year around), during rainy season, it would rain about 1 hour each day and when it rained it poured.  It took considerably less time than that to evaporate any standing water that wasn't absorbed.  I would say within minutes for water standing on leaves so that would've had to have been quick.  In 4+ years there, I never saw any dew (unless of course you count Mountain Dew but that is another story entirely).

Probably for everything Chris. Our ground troops in Viet Nam usually carried a minimum of two 1 Quart canteens with them at all times. But, and this is a biggy, they were constantly resupplied by helicopter. Usually at least once a day and sometimes more. Especially with water and ammunition. Washing in the field was optional and was the exception in many cases. There were, in many areas, plenty of fresh water streams but most of them were a breeding ground for all types of infections and leaches.

I was on the advance team for Operation Distant Haven in Suriname.  We were left with a pallet that equalled 1 gallon per person, per day.  Doing heavy labor that was not much.  No one washed and we were exempt from shaving.  The Engineers came in a week later and brought a 500 gallon water buffalo and a few more pallets of water.  They were very welcomed.  They had a stream about 100 yards from site but anyone that would use that water would have been crazy.  They did eventually pump water from those for field shower units but all water went through a water filtration unit first, even then it still was not potable.

LTM,

Don

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »

I think it was during Niku IIII in 2001 when I was deployed to the 7 site for clearing operations, I ran through near 200 oz of water in one day.  I know because my Camelbak bladder was 70 oz and I filled it and drained it three times, or nearly so.  And that was out in the field, and didn't count what I drank during breakfast or after returning to the boat (beer is God's way of telling us he loves us).  Most of that water ingested came out in the form of sweat, we were soaking wet from head to foot.  I think I only pee'd once the entire day which should give you an idea of how much sweat we produced.  Two quarts a day would not cut it for any kind of extended period involving serious work.

This was early on in the expedition and we were swinging machetes, not chainsaws and pneumatic loppers as during later expeditions, and water consumption is always higher before we acclimate to the heat and the work, but I think it is a good illustration of how one can need significant amounts of water when trying to accomplish physical labor on Niku. It also highlights why water was so critical to the success and ultimate failure of the colony there, and would have been critical for a castaway.  Of course if you sat around all day and only became active at night, the demand for water would be significantly different.

Andrew

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 03:07:21 AM »

missing backpacker survives on contact lense solutuion

BTW later reports also state that he drankhis own Urine so when in a desperate corner it can come down to any fluid availabel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org