Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU VII  (Read 274475 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: NIKU VII
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2012, 10:48:32 AM »

I would suspect they were going to do a show regardless of what was or wasn't found.

That's right.  Discovery sees value in covering the process.

Haven't we all seen enough of such shows on Discovery etc. that serve only to tease about potential solutions and discoveries?

If you're not interested in what happened, don't watch the show.

Well, think about it. If i recall correctly they set out with the deliberate claim that nothing would be retrieved for analysis during this expedition so any corroboration and subsequent conclusion would be by visable means only. Wasn't that the same level of proof that Ballard presented when he "found" PT 109?. Without rock solid, documentable proof - the smoking gun as it were - best had by in hand analysis of evidence, then there's still the possibility that the mystery hasn't been solved.  anthying less than 100% certainty means you still don't know.

What Bob Ballard claims is up to Bob Ballard.  We made the decision not to recover artifacts on this trip because the recovery and conservation of artifacts is a completely separate process than searching for them. Wreckage is often tricky to recover without damaging or losing it completely and aircraft aluminum that has been immersed in salt water for 75 years is highly unstable. It would be irresponsible to recover it without being ready to conserve it, and we can't be prepared to recover conserve something that is unknown. 
You can rest assured that, regardless of what we have found or may find, I will not proclaim anything to be a "smoking gun."  That's not my call.  That's up to each individual to decide based upon the evidence presented.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »

[
Haven't we all seen enough of such shows on Discovery etc. that serve only to tease about potential solutions and discoveries?

If you're not interested in what happened, don't watch the show.

I think you've read something into my statement that was not intended. Relax, I'm on your side.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »

Hey Ric---a  ;D would be nice!!!!!
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #333 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »

Hey Ric---a  ;D would be nice!!!!!

Tom

Am sure you can wait for Sunday  ;)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »

not much choice richie. But you know what------I think Ive seen this screenshot pic before. I think you posted something very similiar early on in the video thread. Now that would be something.

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »

Regarding those very interesting shots in the Huffington Post teaser, I'm thinking the following quote from the 20 July item on Discovery News might be relevant:

"Disappointingly, two promising targets identified a couple of days ago, turned out to be a large coral boulder and a much degraded piece of the Norwich City's keel."

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »

Alan you may end up being correct, but my friend Jeff Nevill told me to be optimistic---so I am.
Getting the popcorn ready for Sunday nite

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #337 on: August 15, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »

Woody, that could have been a revision when they added the 102 gal. tanks in each wing.  I don't recall ever seeing refueling points in engine nacelles.  We need an actual picture of a non re-fitted LE 10 to see where they are.  I don't have time to do it today, maybe you could find one or someone here already knows where one is.  In any event those pictures are encouraging.

Doc, I don't recall seeing many pictures of refueling of the wing tanks. Picture #1 shows part of the defueling of the electra after the Luke Field accident with the refueling door open and one of the fuel caps on the cowling.

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,263

Picture #2 shows mechanics preparing to refuel the starboard side fuel tanks.

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,437

Here is the link to the TIGHAR Research Bulletin that describes the NR16020 fuel system.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/61_FuelSystem/61_FuelSystem.htm
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #338 on: August 15, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »

The sonar return imaging doesn't take any prisoners. It gives the outline as it sees it. What you make of it is up to you but, and it's the important but, the sonar gives you something to direct a more detailed inspection by ROV at. The way these two technologies work together is the key point.
Lumps of Norwich city wreckage will be easily separated from 'other' due to the nature of their construction purposes.
Brilliant work by the teams, a difficult environment, worse than I described and the results we have glimpsed so far are exceptional given the circumstances.
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #339 on: August 15, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »

What would be the chance's of a freak piece of Norwich City debris being the nearly exact dimensions of an Electra  :o

It's fairly recognizable the object in image, so roll on Sunday  :)   

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »

What would be the chance's of a freak piece of Norwich City debris being the nearly exact dimensions of an Electra  :o

Pretty slim Richie unless the ship was designed to fly as well. The two are designed with different requirements and purposes in mind Richie. Aircraft strong but lightweight, ship even
stronger but weight not such an issue.
Weight to size ratio aircraft win every time.
How many 4000 ton ships have you seen made from aluminium?
How many aircraft have you seen made from iron and steel?
Chalk and cheese.
This must be the place

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:42:35 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #341 on: August 15, 2012, 02:53:15 PM »

Pretty slim Richie unless the ship was designed to fly as well. The two are designed with different requirements and purposes in mind Richie. Aircraft strong but lightweight, ship even
stronger but weight not such an issue.
Weight to size ratio aircraft win every time.
How many 4000 ton ships have you seen made from aluminium?
How many aircraft have you seen made from iron and steel?
Chalk and cheese.

I am thinking along the lines, of what Ric said about a possible target 1 or 1 & 1/2 what turned out to be part of the keel of the ship.

Could this be the sonar image what Ric said was target 1 1.1/2, ? As i think most of us are going through the emotion's that the team must have felt when viewing this bit of data

:) ;) ;D

Saying that would Ric do that to us  ;)

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »

Early days Richie. What is certain is there is more than coral down there. Ship or aircraft debris? How about both.
This must be the place

Shaw Durman

• T1
« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »

Any news of a British airing date for the Discovery documentary yet anyone?

me getting excited and impatient!  ;D

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »

Early days Richie. What is certain is there is more than coral down there. Ship or aircraft debris? How about both.

As we already knew init  :)

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org