Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU VII  (Read 274532 times)

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
Re: NIKU VII
« Reply #225 on: July 24, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »

Is it just me or has the 23rd of july daily report been edited ?

inset, Only until we have had thorough analysis can we say what we have found and that answer will be revealed Sunday, August 19th only on Discovery.

does that mean what i think it does  ;)

Yes Richie it was, and that can be taken anyway you like.

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2012, 11:42:26 PM »

More doom and gloom before anyone has had the chance to analyse the data Raf.
The glass is either half full or half empty. (depending on whose round it is next)

Oh, I don't know.  Other than the fact that it assumes conclusions not yet reached, it's actually somewhat more even-handed than many such articles being published on this side of the Atlantic.  They're off the mark....but but not nearly as far off as the rest.

Re the glass.....as always, it is neither half empty nor half full.  Rather, it has obviously been over-engineered and is merely twice as large as is necessary for its intended purpose.

tb
TIGHAR #3159R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #227 on: July 25, 2012, 07:57:44 AM »

I'm guilty----of reading into the daily reports---looking for a hidden tidbit that satisified my minds thirst for something factual. Perhaps I overstepped alittle. Here's to hoping the 'target' Ric wants Jeff G to look at is promising. Hope we get to see it. 
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #228 on: July 25, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »

Here's to hoping the 'target' Ric wants Jeff G to look at is promising. Hope we get to see it.

Here's hoping the target is a big roundish object with 9 pronounced lumps around the perimeter...

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »

LOL-----I was going to say that sounded like my ex-son in law---I'm with you Gus---anything right now to keep up the positive attitude!

don hirth

• T1
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »

Gus Rubio, Yes. Wouldn't a 9 cyl. P and W be the "Holy Grail." but we'd settle for anything
that is numbered or otherwise prove that it's an AE, Electra artifact. Cross your fingers.
dlh

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #231 on: July 25, 2012, 10:07:40 AM »

I'm guilty----of reading into the daily reports---looking for a hidden tidbit that satisified my minds thirst for something factual. Perhaps I overstepped alittle. Here's to hoping the 'target' Ric wants Jeff G to look at is promising. Hope we get to see it.

Tom i think you will look into it more when you read latest report  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #232 on: July 25, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »

I did Richie----guess Im on pins and needles again

Rafael Krasnodebski

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #233 on: July 25, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »

Ooooh it's exciting .... and I'll have to wait longer than the rest of you, because it'll be the 20th over here when the program goes out  ;) ... Now where did I leave those blood pressure tablets?
Raf

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #234 on: July 25, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »

If you find them I think we could all use one or two. :D
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #235 on: July 25, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »

At least it wont be reruns of the Deadlest Catch!

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #236 on: July 25, 2012, 11:52:19 AM »

Riiiiight! ::)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #237 on: July 25, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »

It's really sad to see how many in the media are misreporting about the length of time that KoK was on station at Nikumaroro.  It's become quite the mantra of negative reporting.  For instance, a NatGeo article says this:
TIGHAR's $2.2-million expedition was originally slated to last ten days, but "equipment problems directly attributable to the severity of the underwater environment at Nikumaroro" cut the search time to only five days.

A ten day expedition cut down to "only five days."  Yeah, right. 

It's sad that the reporters crafting such stories cannot read the times in the publicly-accessible daily reports and do the simple arithmetic. 

KoK arrived at the island at 11:30Z on 12 July (Thursday) and immediately began its side beam sonar mapping.  KoK departed the vicinity at 10:00Z on 20 July (Friday) after performing a final side beam sonar mapping on the southern side of Nikumaroro.  That's a stay at Niku of just two hours shy of a full 8 days on location -- a stay significantly longer than the 5 days that the media continues to misreport.

LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #238 on: July 25, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »

It's really sad to see how many in the media are misreporting about the length of time that KoK was on station at Nikumaroro.  It's become quite the mantra of negative reporting.  For instance, a NatGeo article says this:
TIGHAR's $2.2-million expedition was originally slated to last ten days, but "equipment problems directly attributable to the severity of the underwater environment at Nikumaroro" cut the search time to only five days.

A ten day expedition cut down to "only five days."  Yeah, right. 

It's sad that the reporters crafting such stories cannot read the times in the publicly-accessible daily reports and do the simple arithmetic. 

KoK arrived at the island at 11:30Z on 12 July (Thursday) and immediately began its side beam sonar mapping.  KoK departed the vicinity at 10:00Z on 20 July (Friday) after performing a final side beam sonar mapping on the southern side of Nikumaroro.  That's a stay at Niku of just two hours shy of a full 8 days on location -- a stay significantly longer than the 5 days that the media continues to misreport.

Perhaps it might be that after all the hype prior to the trip the media is just reflecting the rather underwhelming results. What didn't help was that rewrite of the original comments on the daily progress site, after leaving the island on the return trip, which did look a bit like someone in PR realised that with a downer like that TIGHAR won't attract any donations at all, so it was decided to make it look a bit more upbeat. We know the whole Earhart/Nikumaroro thing is about 90% spin so I can't see what TIGHAR has to complain about if the truth of the matter leads the media to ignore the spin. We all live in the modern media age and we all know the difference between advertising spin and reality.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »

Damn Malcolm---not only are you a 'archaeologist' but you have ESP, and a chrystal ball as well. You can see the results of the trip before the data has been extracted. If thats the case----give all of us the answers. ---or go about your merry way

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org