Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU VII  (Read 211467 times)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: NIKU VII
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »

Jeff and others---well said. Perked me up quite a bit!
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »

The ROV on this mission may yet turn out to be the ace in the pack.
The spec' is a step up from the previous expeditions ROV which, although fairly basic in comparison, did quite a remarkable job.
Here's the spec for the TRV-005 which it all hangs on now?
http://www.ssirovs.com/images/stories/documents/TRV_005_Specs.pdf

This must be the place

Rafael Krasnodebski

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »

Some pretty depressing stuff on here ... what is it you American types say? "It's not over 'til the fat lady sings". Perk up folks. We're all gunning for you!
Raf

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »

yep----no delayed gratification here----want it yesterday!

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2012, 01:01:46 PM »

Notice how the Gardner seamount wants to grab hold of and keep anything that strays too close to it (the AUV). It doesn't want to give up its secrets easily either :(
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »

or is it Julia in another form? :o

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »

I too am fighting disappointment, but as the pros here have said, it's not necessarily what they find while they're out there, it's what they learn after reviewing all the video and data.  that said, hopefully they will extend the mission a day or two, that could be all it takes to catch something on video that cracks the coconut.  Despite the lack of a "Eureka!" find, I can almost feel it, there's something down there, waiting to be found.  Such victories are sweeter when they cost you.

Speaking of cost, I'll tell you something: if I were to win a stupid amount of money in the lottery, like that half-billion-dollar jackpot or whatever it was recently, you better believe I'd throw a couple mil at the Electra search.  I'll let all y'all know when that happens.   :P

One upshot on this outing for the crew- no crabs!  Am I right folks?   :D

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »

One upshot on this outing for the crew- no crabs!  Am I right folks?

...probably have to ask Ric and Party after their shore trip.   I wonder how far they got.

Folks,  anybody baseball fans out there?  No, no, not thread drift, here!

If I may, it's just the point that, and i'm not being trite, but as any ball player will tell you, "you got to stay within yourself"...

In other words, there can be no doubt that Niku VII are doing the very best they can in an entirely unique environment and purpose.  They're doing just as THEIR training and resolve call upon them...no less...perhaps a lot more.

I believe that success will result from their efforts.

I look forward to that with fascination.

Er, to be honest, the tuffest thing for ME right now is to "stay within MYself"... when all i'm doing is just tagging along on the adventure.   8)

LTM, who always applauded the Quest.

dp

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »

One upshot on this outing for the crew- no crabs!  Am I right folks?

...probably have to ask Ric and Party after their shore trip.   I wonder how far they got.

Folks,  anybody baseball fans out there?  No, no, not thread drift, here!

If I may, it's just the point that, and i'm not being trite, but as any ball player will tell you, "you got to stay within yourself"...

In other words, there can be no doubt that Niku VII are doing the very best they can in an entirely unique environment and purpose.  They're doing just as THEIR training and resolve call upon them...no less...perhaps a lot more.

I believe that success will result from their efforts.

I look forward to that with fascination.

Er, to be honest, the tuffest thing for ME right now is to "stay within MYself"... when all i'm doing is just tagging along on the adventure.   8)

LTM, who always applauded the Quest.

dp

None of us are on that ship apart from Ric so were all tagging along so to speak

so say it how you see it ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2012, 08:57:10 PM »

The latest report puts the ROV at the same depth as the previous expedition and, will search the ledge located at this depth. It's the ledge that hung up the Norwich City aft section so, it's a good 'catchers mitt'. That's good news ???
This must be the place

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »

A smoking gun dosn't tell the whole story just look at the Edwardian era pillaging of royal tombs in Egypt.

Actually, to be pedantic, the wholesale pillaging began in ancient Egypt. So much so that the Pharaoh Ramesses XI (1107 BC to 1078 BC) ordered that the surviving mummies of the pharaohs be gathered up and reburied in two separate burial chambers. The usual post burial practice in ancient Egypt was for the locals to wait a couple of months and then tunnel in and grab as much as they could to be melted down. It seems that the Pharaoh's devout subjects were less concerned about his afterlife and more concerned with the gold.

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2012, 05:44:49 AM »

A smoking gun dosn't tell the whole story just look at the Edwardian era pillaging of royal tombs in Egypt.

Actually, to be pedantic, the wholesale pillaging began in ancient Egypt. So much so that the Pharaoh Ramesses XI (1107 BC to 1078 BC) ordered ...grab as much as they could to be melted down. It seems that the Pharaoh's devout subjects were less concerned about his afterlife and more concerned with the gold.

I had no idea - thanks for that, Malcolm! 

All this time I've labored under some elementary notion that the ancients were solumn and true to their dead kings, etc. and that the kings enjoyed their afterlives in solitude until recent incursions... all the while, in fact they were just as human as we tend to be today!!!  :D

I guess recycling isn't a new thing, and value is wherever it is found - be it gold or aircraft aluminum.  If the stuff found at Niku did come from a wreck on or around that island (Electra or otherwise) it's a demonstration of the same thing, I think - despite the whisperings of 'there be ghosts there, children, go not to that place', someone bothered to reap some goodies from it for economic betterment.  Interesting.

LTM -

Most of the problem was economic - if all the gold that was buried with each Pharaoh had been left in the graves then the Egyptian economy of the time would have collapsed. The priests responsible would also have turned a blind eye, and as the tombs were constructed by the inhabitants of the same villages who knew the Valley of the Kings like the back of their hand and how many tombs were interconnected with others, or easily accessed with some easy mining, it was a thriving business.

Tutankhamun was a pretty minor Pharaoh who died very young, and we all know the wealth that was buried with him so imagine the value of the wealth deposited with the really great Pharaohs. So once the Pharaoh died and the mourning period was over the heir was pretty tied up with making sure of his own place in the afterlife so give it a couple of years and the tomb robbers could get to work pretty unhindered. All they had to do was not make the tomb robbing too public and they were OK. In fact in the 19th century when Egyptology began to take off descendants of those same villagers were still making a nice profit ferreting out stuff. There is some evidence that Carter had been alerted to Tutankhamun's tomb years before he actually "found" it.

These days it would be considered the greenest of green occupations   ;D

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #192 on: July 20, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »

malcolm----that is very interesting. thank you for sharing. HUMMM______wonder if there is anything on NIKU? Maybe some unobtainium. Naaa---probably just some coral, shells, birds, crabs, steel, iron, aluminum-----sharks. Sounds like paradise :o ;D

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

No drift, but maybe some positive views. Having thought about this search for a while, I concluded that it is another stepping stone to a larger story. No journey is without setbacks, if you want to call this that. I recall the space race very well. I liken this to that, in some ways. Without some of the problems in the early days of that adventure, we may not have gotten to the moon, and beyond. We perserverred.
When TIGHAR went on this expedition, there were great hopes of finding stuff. They may have, and we just dont know it. We do have a greater understanding of the underwater features around Niku, and how man-made things interact with it. That will be very important to a follow up expedition with submirsibles (maybe?). Like sending the unmanned vehicles to the moon in search of a good landing spot. Great idea, but not without some minor tweeking on the actual landing. So, this is similiar. Ric & Co now has some very hard data on what obstacles may be there. I think it will make sending a deep dive submirsible a little less intimidating.
I feel confident of a return to Niku, with all of our partners on board. I, for one, have a new found respect for Ric. Glad he is at the helm of TIGHAR. Pat------keep him straight.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »

interesting to note that there havent been any online updated to the KOKs deck log.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24   Go Up

Copyright 2019 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org