Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU VII  (Read 274487 times)

Dave Potratz

• T2
Re: NIKU VII
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »

One upshot on this outing for the crew- no crabs!  Am I right folks?

...probably have to ask Ric and Party after their shore trip.   I wonder how far they got.

Folks,  anybody baseball fans out there?  No, no, not thread drift, here!

If I may, it's just the point that, and i'm not being trite, but as any ball player will tell you, "you got to stay within yourself"...

In other words, there can be no doubt that Niku VII are doing the very best they can in an entirely unique environment and purpose.  They're doing just as THEIR training and resolve call upon them...no less...perhaps a lot more.

I believe that success will result from their efforts.

I look forward to that with fascination.

Er, to be honest, the tuffest thing for ME right now is to "stay within MYself"... when all i'm doing is just tagging along on the adventure.   8)

LTM, who always applauded the Quest.

dp

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »

One upshot on this outing for the crew- no crabs!  Am I right folks?

...probably have to ask Ric and Party after their shore trip.   I wonder how far they got.

Folks,  anybody baseball fans out there?  No, no, not thread drift, here!

If I may, it's just the point that, and i'm not being trite, but as any ball player will tell you, "you got to stay within yourself"...

In other words, there can be no doubt that Niku VII are doing the very best they can in an entirely unique environment and purpose.  They're doing just as THEIR training and resolve call upon them...no less...perhaps a lot more.

I believe that success will result from their efforts.

I look forward to that with fascination.

Er, to be honest, the tuffest thing for ME right now is to "stay within MYself"... when all i'm doing is just tagging along on the adventure.   8)

LTM, who always applauded the Quest.

dp

None of us are on that ship apart from Ric so were all tagging along so to speak

so say it how you see it ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2012, 08:57:10 PM »

The latest report puts the ROV at the same depth as the previous expedition and, will search the ledge located at this depth. It's the ledge that hung up the Norwich City aft section so, it's a good 'catchers mitt'. That's good news ???
This must be the place

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »

A smoking gun dosn't tell the whole story just look at the Edwardian era pillaging of royal tombs in Egypt.

Actually, to be pedantic, the wholesale pillaging began in ancient Egypt. So much so that the Pharaoh Ramesses XI (1107 BC to 1078 BC) ordered that the surviving mummies of the pharaohs be gathered up and reburied in two separate burial chambers. The usual post burial practice in ancient Egypt was for the locals to wait a couple of months and then tunnel in and grab as much as they could to be melted down. It seems that the Pharaoh's devout subjects were less concerned about his afterlife and more concerned with the gold.

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2012, 05:44:49 AM »

A smoking gun dosn't tell the whole story just look at the Edwardian era pillaging of royal tombs in Egypt.

Actually, to be pedantic, the wholesale pillaging began in ancient Egypt. So much so that the Pharaoh Ramesses XI (1107 BC to 1078 BC) ordered ...grab as much as they could to be melted down. It seems that the Pharaoh's devout subjects were less concerned about his afterlife and more concerned with the gold.

I had no idea - thanks for that, Malcolm! 

All this time I've labored under some elementary notion that the ancients were solumn and true to their dead kings, etc. and that the kings enjoyed their afterlives in solitude until recent incursions... all the while, in fact they were just as human as we tend to be today!!!  :D

I guess recycling isn't a new thing, and value is wherever it is found - be it gold or aircraft aluminum.  If the stuff found at Niku did come from a wreck on or around that island (Electra or otherwise) it's a demonstration of the same thing, I think - despite the whisperings of 'there be ghosts there, children, go not to that place', someone bothered to reap some goodies from it for economic betterment.  Interesting.

LTM -

Most of the problem was economic - if all the gold that was buried with each Pharaoh had been left in the graves then the Egyptian economy of the time would have collapsed. The priests responsible would also have turned a blind eye, and as the tombs were constructed by the inhabitants of the same villages who knew the Valley of the Kings like the back of their hand and how many tombs were interconnected with others, or easily accessed with some easy mining, it was a thriving business.

Tutankhamun was a pretty minor Pharaoh who died very young, and we all know the wealth that was buried with him so imagine the value of the wealth deposited with the really great Pharaohs. So once the Pharaoh died and the mourning period was over the heir was pretty tied up with making sure of his own place in the afterlife so give it a couple of years and the tomb robbers could get to work pretty unhindered. All they had to do was not make the tomb robbing too public and they were OK. In fact in the 19th century when Egyptology began to take off descendants of those same villagers were still making a nice profit ferreting out stuff. There is some evidence that Carter had been alerted to Tutankhamun's tomb years before he actually "found" it.

These days it would be considered the greenest of green occupations   ;D

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »

malcolm----that is very interesting. thank you for sharing. HUMMM______wonder if there is anything on NIKU? Maybe some unobtainium. Naaa---probably just some coral, shells, birds, crabs, steel, iron, aluminum-----sharks. Sounds like paradise :o ;D
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

No drift, but maybe some positive views. Having thought about this search for a while, I concluded that it is another stepping stone to a larger story. No journey is without setbacks, if you want to call this that. I recall the space race very well. I liken this to that, in some ways. Without some of the problems in the early days of that adventure, we may not have gotten to the moon, and beyond. We perserverred.
When TIGHAR went on this expedition, there were great hopes of finding stuff. They may have, and we just dont know it. We do have a greater understanding of the underwater features around Niku, and how man-made things interact with it. That will be very important to a follow up expedition with submirsibles (maybe?). Like sending the unmanned vehicles to the moon in search of a good landing spot. Great idea, but not without some minor tweeking on the actual landing. So, this is similiar. Ric & Co now has some very hard data on what obstacles may be there. I think it will make sending a deep dive submirsible a little less intimidating.
I feel confident of a return to Niku, with all of our partners on board. I, for one, have a new found respect for Ric. Glad he is at the helm of TIGHAR. Pat------keep him straight.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »

interesting to note that there havent been any online updated to the KOKs deck log.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »

interesting to note that there havent been any online updated to the KOKs deck log.

Tom I thought that was interesting too.
As well as the Tighar report from the 19th. Where I thought the plan was to "mow the lawn" with the ROV for that day,  but after reading the report they only used the ROV for about 2 hours then put it away and brought out the AUV to get more scans of the primary search area and area south of the Norwich City. Why stop the "mow the lawn" plan after only 2 hours to re survey an area? 

02:00Z 7-19 (16:00 7-18 KOK)
Launched ROV to continue mowing the lawn in the primary search area.

04:00Z 7-19 (18:30 7-18 KOK)
Recovered ROV after completing two lines – 1,200 to 600 feet. We only go up the hill because it’s hard to see the surface going downhill. We are not searching the vertical cliff that goes from 600 ft up to 250 feet.

06:00Z 7-19 (20:00 7-18 KOK)
Launched AUV for all-night mission to re-survey the primary search area and collect side-scan data south of Norwich City
3971R

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:52:52 AM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2012, 12:02:10 PM »

Greg---i'm thinking the coral outcroppings are worse at shallow depths. My thoughts are they dont want to loose the ROV, since its tethered to the KOK. But with the issues with the AUV, I would think at this late stage, you use the assets that you have. Guess I'm wrong.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »

This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2012, 01:25:16 PM »

Jeff H, here is a paragraph from Niku VI daily reports

Aboard VvS1, the ROV found the first underwater man-made objects seen on this trip. On the ledge right off the “Nessie” location at about 265 meters they spotted a length of rope or line, and a semi-circular piece of wire. The wire is two to three millimeters in diameter, and light enough that the ROV’s thrusters made it stir. But this is very exciting: the reef slope and ledge are not littered with debris and to find something right off the location where we have a photograph of something is huge. They are planning to retrieve the wire today.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Expeditions/NikuVI/Niku6dailies.html

I was under the impression they didn't know were the rov was at the time, However when they tried to locate wire/rope again they were unsuccessful

Will be interesting to view wire/rope area, If they found it again, With this better technology  :) 

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #192 on: July 20, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »

Didn't have the GPS co-ordinates Richie as the GPS was down at the time but...
to find something right off the location where we have a photograph of something is huge

They don't mean the target was huge obviously, just the significance of its location.  Sure sounds like ledge number 2 @300 metres-ish. If its large enough to support the Norwich Citys backside then aircraft wreckage should fit in as well.
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »

Yer i got onto that  :)

Jeff listen to this  :)  yesterday morning i had to pick some glass up for a job that had been dropped off at my brothers house, it's is firm i work for  ::)

Why i was there my sister in law, Asked me 2 questions while inquiring about how expedition was going

Q.1- If wreckage is found how can you be sure it is that of Amelia Earhart's Electra ? I said cos it will be ? All i could come up with at time

Q, 2- You as in me, claim the wire/rope in rov video is part of Electra, How do you know that ?,  When the wire/rope looks new an the other stuff u claim is wreckage is covered in coral, Or is corroded enough to resemble coral ?

A, 2- I said because the cable is designed to cut out noise and interference, If it is Antenna cable ?, It act's like a magnet the plus side draws debris/interference, While the negative side reflects and diverts interference and that is why wire looks new cos it reflects matter or particles so to speak  :)

I didn't answer Q, 1

Not yet anyway

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »

Good points Richie
1. It is the only possible aircraft to be @ 300 metres down on the Gardner seamount (that we know of)
2. If it is what I suspect then it was concealed from the elements for a long time in ducts/ under flooring. Only when this deteriorated did cable become exposed.
IMHO of course
This must be the place

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org