Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival  (Read 285327 times)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
Re: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »

Harry, I run into that problem too. I have to use the magnifier on my computer and I also have a hand held one that I use.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2012, 02:59:41 PM »

Thanks for that, found it, unfortunately the font type, size and colors are such that these old tired eyes of mine are not able to decipher the table.

The article, "Post-Loss Signal Statistics for Source at Gardner" is a .pdf file.

.pdf files are designed to display at many different sizes.

You can "zoom" in on the contents of a .pdf file using the "zoom" method of your .pdf viewer.

Pressing the control key plus the equal sign key works in some browsers and viewers.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »

Thanks Marty. I learn something new every day when I pay attention.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »

Marty
Tanks. the Ctrl + makes the size bigger and the Ctrl - makes it smaller.  I knew that once before but had to re-learn it  DUH  Forehead slap.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »

Looking quickly at the table it appears that the highest tide was in the neighborhood of 50 inches or so, but no idea of how far on/up the beach it would have reached.  From a point of view of being of any assistance in making it easier to move one of the boats to water.
No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »

No, I am not a sailor.
I have several that have sailed around the world, one of whom is now in New Zealand and sails regularly to a small island in the Hijis.  He has adopted the island as a project in helping the natives and they have adopted him and his wife.

Is there something wrong with my arithmetic?
Well, yes. It would be an ecstatic sailor indeed who made 120 NM in 24 hours in a properly rigged sailboat, about 25 feet long, with lots of sails and lots of wind. Boats with displacement hulls, such as lifeboats, are limited by the laws of physics to a maximum speed, in knots,  of 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length (in feet.) Adding more sails, or more wind, or more engine power won't make the boat go any faster. And anything that Earhart and Noonan could have launched would not have come anywhere close to reaching these maximum speeds.

gl
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:10:25 PM by Gary LaPook »

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2012, 07:13:38 PM »

Gary
What part of "wedge into a crack" do you not understand?  I don't think there were many concrete blocks on Gardner

Never went to summer camp  when I was a kid, we wuz too poor.
I guess you missed my point.  How do you think Earhart and Noonan would be able to launch a two ton lifeboat with just the use of an airplane tailwheel? You have experience with canoes in Canada (I do too) but you can't portage a lifeboat.

gl
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:28:21 PM by Gary LaPook »

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »

Harry, are you Canadian?  Your profile shows you currently located in Livermore, CA. Isn't that near San Francisco? 
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2012, 09:53:55 PM »

IRV
No. I  am not Canadian but I have spent a lot of springs and summers canoeing up in  the Boundary Waters Wilderness Area and another lot of time fishing in the lakes of Northern Manitoba Province.  Yes, Livermore is about 40 miles Southeast of SF.  About 25-30 miles inland of the SF Bay.
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »

Gary
No, I didn't miss your attempted argumentum ad hominen point.  I just chose to ignore it and respond to the juvinile  nature of the comment.
No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2012, 03:08:26 AM »

Gary
No, I didn't miss your attempted argumentum ad hominen point.  I just chose to ignore it and respond to the juvinile  nature of the comment.
Oh come on Harry, I was just trying to add a little humor, certainly not ad hominem. I though you might recognize the name of Lake Ogishcomuncie since it is in the Boundary Waters canoe area.

gl
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:13:03 AM by Gary LaPook »

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2012, 05:57:34 AM »

Thanks Harry. I had wondered about Gary's comments on you canoeing in Canada. You explained it nicely.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »

Gary
No didn't recognize the name of the lake.  Most of my trips started in the Ely area  Moose Lake Knife, into Basswood, Burke, Meadow, Noon, Sunday, Silence, Shady, Agnes, Louisa, etc.
Longest portages were from the South tip of Agnes into Meadow (3/4 mile) then a little short paddle on Meadow(1/8 mile) followed by a 1 mile portage into Burke.  Those two back-to-back were murder.

On one trip my wife and I took 12 First Class Scouts up there for a 10  day wilderness trip.  Talk about a chore, wow.  But fun!  LOL
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »

Gary
Apologies for my ad Hominem comment.  My Bad, must have been having a bad day about my last minute cancelled flight to my older sister's memorial.  The Airline Industry in this country needs fixing, bad!
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »

Gary's comment about the sheer bulk and weight of the life boats is well taken.  Would be a humungus task for our dynamic duo to nove one to water (now comes the "however") however, IF a boat were upright on a sloped part of the beach and a high tide came up  to near the boat, perhaps it wouldn't need a ton of effort to push/pull, wedge, roll, etc it into the water.

IF the best they could do was about 5 knots then (100 miles a day?)  Fiji would be 10 days, Gilberts about 6 days, Howland about 4 days, the Marshalls about 9 etc.

IF they couldn't get a boat to water they might build a raft.
No Worries Mates

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org