Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival  (Read 285277 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Re: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »

Gary
About portaging a boat.  I believe that the Hudson's Bay Company folks at York Factory on Hudson's Bay built many, many bioats that bore the name Iork Boat, and it was used all over the Canadian lakes and rivers in the fur trade, including portages.  Granted that the boat had a crew of at least 6 and the boat was "portaged" on wheeled cradles and over rough "roads" that had to be cleared and in some cases "paved" with logs (called "corduroy roads"  Remnants of these "roads"  still exist but are rapidly disappearing.

A well respected CBS TV Newsman (Radio news man before that, and a war coorespondent with Edward R. Morrow before that) Eric Sevareid and a high school buddy Walter Port made a trip from Minneapolis, Minn. to York Factory on Hudson's Bay in a 15 foot canoe.  Hisbook "Canoeing With The Cree" details their experience and is a great read.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »

In post 127 above,  Iork Boat = York Boat.  Slapping my typing finger LOL
No Worries Mates

Erik

• T3
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »

In post 127 above,  Iork Boat = York Boat.  Slapping my typing finger LOL

Another word for Marty's vocabulary collection!  Bahaha....  ;D

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »

Gary
No didn't recognize the name of the lake.  Most of my trips started in the Ely area  Moose Lake Knife, into Basswood, Burke, Meadow, Noon, Sunday, Silence, Shady, Agnes, Louisa, etc.
Longest portages were from the South tip of Agnes into Meadow (3/4 mile) then a little short paddle on Meadow(1/8 mile) followed by a 1 mile portage into Burke.  Those two back-to-back were murder.

On one trip my wife and I took 12 First Class Scouts up there for a 10  day wilderness trip.  Talk about a chore, wow.  But fun!  LOL
We started about 50 miles further east of Ely in Tuscarora with the outfitter there. We would cross into Canada by paddling across Lake Saganaga. I remember one trip when I was stuck with somebody's brother-in-law in my canoe. He gave out on a mile and half portage so I ended up with the canoe on my shoulders plus the pack on my back for that up and down the hills and through the woods portage.

But we stopped going to the Boundary Waters because it got too crowded and started flying about two hundred miles further north to Sioux Lookout and renting equipment there so we got away from the crowd.

gl

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »

Gary
Lake Saganaga, yes, got into it once from the south out of Agnes Lake and one of the three branches of the Agnes River.  Big lake as I recall with many bays in which to catch Morthern Pike and get lost in.

Part of the chain from Grand Portage (Pronounced Grahn Por tahge) on Lake Superior  to Lake of the Woods, the Voyaguers Highway.  Did the Grand Portage once, 26 miles from Gran Portage  to just above the falls on the Pigeon River  Brutal!  Fortunately, after the many 
decades (century or so) of thousands of travellers, the trail was like a sidewalk, trees with near horizontal branches to rest the canoe against for a pose (pause).
Hobson's choice on portages, 1. take canoe across, go back, take Duluth Sack pack across, go back, take second Duluth Sack across. OR 2. Put one Sack on back, another  in front and canoe on shoulders, then stagger across the portage like a pack animal and collapse at the far end.
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »

Gary
Sioux Lookout, Ontario, my "Bucket List" dream canoe trip from Sioux Lookout to James Bay on the Moose River and chain of lakes.  Definition of Wilderness.
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »

Have forgotten the device Hanks devised to get him and "Wilson" thru the surf.  Refresh?
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »

Sorry for the Thread  Drift to Canada.  Happens alla time.
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2012, 04:14:25 PM »

Chris
 Yeah, classic poetic justice.   After "Stuff" happened, saved by the outhouse door.
No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2012, 04:19:03 PM »

If I remember rightly he tries to leave the island but can't beat the tide/surf that is working against him.

a few years later the door of a portaloo (portable toilet) washes up and he uses this to create a sail that he deploys at the right moment to beat the tide/surf and take wilson and himself away from the island.
All through that movie Hanks had an obsession to deliver that one package. He does at the very end and I was hoping that the recipient opened it in front of Hanks and it contained an EPIRB!

(Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, basically the same as an ELT, Emergency Locator Transmitter.)

gl
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:35:16 PM by Gary LaPook »

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

FN probably knew about the "Lateen Sail" which would be relatively easy to fabricate given nothing but time on his hands and materials like parachute silk and coconut tree fronds for the sail.  Waiting for the wind to be from the right direction and paddling ,ike hell and using the sail they might have gotten thru the surf. 
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »

Chris
In the Ameliapedia, Technical Papers, "The Wreck Of The Norwich City"  by Janet Powell One of the survivors mentions that they used those tanks for water storage after they discovered a source near their survivors camp.   I too wondered where the water that was in them went to?  Or maybe they weren't filled?  Stuff Happens.
No Worries Mates

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »

... perhaps it wouldn't need a ton of effort to push/pull, wedge, roll, etc it into the water.  ...

Getting it into the water is just the first hard part.

Then they have to get it across the reef.

It's not a trivial task, either with a boat or with a raft.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »

Narty
You certainly have that right.  Not at all trivial, I would term it Monumental and perhaps not doable.  Given the options of Dying or Trying, I opt for Trying.
No Worries Mates

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2012, 06:36:36 PM »

All through that movie Hanks had an obsession to deliver that one package. He does at the very end and I was hoping that the recipient opened it in front of Hanks and it contained an EPIRB!
(Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, basically the same as an ELT, Emergency Locator Transmitter.)

Buy the DVD.. you have to navigate through the extras and other items to find it, but it was a waterproofed, solar powered cell phone. Its an easter egg but its there...

I find the present discussion of two people trying to move a lifeboat of the size and weight of the Nor'ich City boats 5 feet let alone to the water, a waste of brain cells. Particullarly in the light of both people being injured. To ignore that supposition in any thinking about what they did as castaways is to ignore the post loss transmissions as a whole. Ms Brown and others reported that the person said that they were injured. Injured people make funny decisions however, but to try to move a lifeboat the size of a city bus? If Mr. Noonan was even alive at that point he would have know what it would have taken to move that boat. We would be better served if we closely examined the photos taken after the loss and before colony got there for Camp Zero. If we can see airplane parts in coral rubble, maybe we can conjure up a camp or see people wavin'....

Brad
Brad

#4327R

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org