Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: News Dec. 4 1929 Norwich City  (Read 8115 times)

Irvine John Donald

• T5
Re: News Dec. 4 1929 Norwich City
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AspPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=f1QDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2794,2266260&dq=gardner+island&hl=en

Thanks Andreas. It's always interesting to me to read some of the surrounding articles in these older newspapers. The writing styles seem to inject drama and intrigue that I think are missing in today's journalistic writing.

I hope you find more like this.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »

Hi Jeff. I also loved the piano playing in the old silent films for the sane reason. Watch a silent movie without the piano. Not the same.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »

Hi Jeff. I also loved the piano playing in the old silent films for the sane reason. Watch a silent movie without the piano. Not the same.

It's still a useful thing for some movies - the viewer's score of choice on an IPOD is sometimes better than trying to follow the story line!  ;)

This line of thought also makes me think about the context of the times in which AE was out doing this flight.  Even though she's been criticized in some professional circles for doing what had already been done routinely (just in a more foolish way) there still must have been the potential for great public excitement.  I'm sure Mr. Putnam knew his role well and could have made that happen with a bit of dramatic twist, had not the greatest and saddest drama of all overtaken the effort.  Colorful times.  This article really brings it home - along with the other articles on the page, as you noted, Irv - cool stuff. 

I just have to say again - GREAT find, Andreas!

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org